homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » What is your perfect date? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is your perfect date?
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 18:56      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether it be a first date or a date with someone you've been seeing a while and feel completely comfortable with, tell us what your perfect date would be. [Smile]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 19:09      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bottle of Terre di Giurfo Maskaria, a block of Torta Gorgonzola, a fresh warm loaf of bread and a secluded area.

Note I didn't mention clothing? [Wink]

(edit - as may not have been obvious, this plan requires my wife present [Big Grin] )

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 20:15      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
A bottle of Terre di Giurfo Maskaria, a block of Torta Gorgonzola, a fresh warm loaf of bread and a secluded area.

Note I didn't mention clothing? [Wink]

(edit - as may not have been obvious, this plan requires my wife present [Big Grin] )

Lol, all the best plans, do.
[thumbsup]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 22:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Place bottle of champagne in backpack.

2. Hike through national park until you get to the glacier (2 days)

3. Chill the champagne in glacial ice you've plucked from the lake,

4. Drink champagne from enamel mugs while you watch the sun set.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 20, 2007 01:47      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Gwar concert where we both get splattered with fake blood, semen and pus coming from various orifices of the demon men on stage.

Wait... that was last week... [crazy]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 02:08      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A beautiful woman; a warm, clear moonless night; dark skies, chilled champagne and my 5" Newtonian Reflector showing her the wonders of the universe.

Of course all of this is transported to the site in a vehicle capable of lying the back seats down. [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 02:34      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) The presence of one lovely intelligent lady.
2) Bottle of expensive bubbly i.e Moet & Chandon
3) A nice secluded empty area deviod of any and all distractions (other than the aforementioned lady)
4) A fine selection of nice foods
5) ... Ahem, you can figure this one for yourselves [Wink]

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 02:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
1. Place bottle of champagne in backpack.

2. Hike through national park until you get to the glacier (2 days)

3. Chill the champagne in glacial ice you've plucked from the lake,

4. Drink champagne from enamel mugs while you watch the sun set.

I guess you are luckly to live in a land where you won't be thrown in jail for drinking alcohol in a national park. Not that I am not free to do so as well. I am speaking of some party poopers based on the Patomac

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 03:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
I guess you are luckly to live in a land where you won't be thrown in jail for drinking alcohol in a national park. Not that I am not free to do so as well. I am speaking of some party poopers based on the Patomac

Yes, I am, and I share your puzzlement at the strangely puritanical attitude of many merkin government agencies towards alcohol, when the actual people don't seem to share that view.

btw - The national park in question was in Chile. I neither know, nor care, what the rules in Chile were at the time, being 2 days walk from the nearest park ranger made the question purely theoretical.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 04:50      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A stroll down Nicollet Mall (It's a street in Minneapolis that cars are not permitted on) and pick a nice place to eat at. Then off to block E after 9 (Block E is a place in Minneapolis with video games and fun things to do "E" stands for entertainment and after 9 it's 21+). Play video games and air hokey with a couple drinks. After the place shuts down for the night go to a 24 hour place like Perkins for some coffee and conversation.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 06:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a) a cabin somewhere picturesque, like Whistler or Chamonix

b) a chloroform-soaked rag

c) a fine array of sushi knives

... and

d) lotion that it must put on its skin (or it gets the hose again)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 07:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditch work early, go for a hike to a secluded spot. Build a snowman and leave it. Make snow angels. Race the setting sun back to the car (we lost, but he had a flashlight and I had a Tikka). Stop at a local Indian restaurant for chai.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 07:59      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
A beautiful woman; a warm, clear moonless night; dark skies, chilled champagne and my 5" Newtonian Reflector showing her the wonders of the universe.

Newtonian Reflector? Thats quite a fancy name, yanks usually call theirs "johnson," or something along those lines. Also, are you sure 5" would be enough to show the wonders of the universe? [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 08:33      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife, me, a weekend with no important plans, and and endless supply of cash. (not a large amount needed, just enough to cover hotels, cheesy roadside attractions, etc.)
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 09:52      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
A Gwar concert where we both get splattered with fake blood, semen and pus coming from various orifices of the demon men on stage.

Please tell me the semen and pus were also fake... [cry baby]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 09:58      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Yes, I am, and I share your puzzlement at the strangely puritanical attitude of many merkin government agencies towards alcohol, when the actual people don't seem to share that view.
I suspect a lot of that can be traced back to the temperance movement. I don't know about other countries, but it occasionally got rather extreme here.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 10:40      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think either just coffee at the local shop for about seven hours discussing random intellectual things and then "movies" afterwards, or hiking into one of the lakes we have here that don't actually have trails into them, and staying there for a couple days with a bottle o' wine and getting up to watch the sunrise over the ridge of the bowl.

The first I do on a fairly regular basis, but the second would make my year if I found the right lady to do it with [Smile]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 11:24      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch the sunset down at the lake and sit with a bottle of good merlot and wait for the stars come out.

(amazingly enough, even growing up by Lake Michigan, I've never done this)

Aside: Some of you guys are really damned sweet, and some of you honestly scare the hell out of me [Razz]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 14:19      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really love to cook, so I tend to randomly surprise my g/f with fairly elaborate four or five course meals. To make this perfect, change the venue from our apartment to a secluded cabin on a lake. Then light a fire, curl-up, and watch the sun set. (although at home, this realistically means curling up on the couch and watching a movie)
Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 20:41      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww, some of you guys have some great ideas. I always knew geek men were closet romantics. [hearts]

quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
a) a cabin somewhere picturesque, like Whistler or Chamonix

b) a chloroform-soaked rag

c) a fine array of sushi knives

... and

d) lotion that it must put on its skin (or it gets the hose again)

Would someone please explain this? I've seen this reference before, but apparently I missed the movie. What is this from? [Confused] Thanks.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 21:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first 3 are all spungo*, and the fourth is from The Silence of the Lambs.

*Unless I'm missing a reference or two, but I'm pretty sure that's just his fuzzy-wuzzy-bunny-wabbit-loving-self.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 21:32      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Saw, The Silence of the Lambs and don't even remember that. [blush]
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 06:22      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
Whether it be a first date or a date with someone you've been seeing a while and feel completely comfortable with, tell us what your perfect date would be. [Smile]

Oh, the second, definitely. I'm geeky and introverted. Small talk is hard: I tend to be quip-witted. First dates are hellishly awkward.

Women I've known for a while, on the other hand:

A friend of mine works in an ice cream shop on Fridays. I visit her there after I leave work. Our standard greeting involves her taking a running leap into my arms and I carry her around for a while, or until new customers come in. Any customers already in the store just have to cope. It's not a date, but for a few minutes each week the rest of the world just disappears.

A few years ago, another friend of mine and I would curl up together on her couch and watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 each week. Sometimes, she would fall asleep on me, and I wouldn't move until she woke up. Again, we weren't romantically involved, but it was a really nice way to spend the time together.

As long as I could reach the remote control, it was. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 07:15      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:

Newtonian Reflector? Thats quite a fancy name, yanks usually call theirs "johnson," or something along those lines. Also, are you sure 5" would be enough to show the wonders of the universe? [evil]
Yes, well we all know Americans are anything but fancy. And as for 5"...well size isn't everything. You have to think of portability and control too. It can often be hard to get bigger scopes to where you want them to go. In my experience, if you know what you're doing, smaller scopes are just as good as bigger ones. [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 10:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:

Yes, well we all know Americans are anything but fancy. And as for 5"...well size isn't everything. You have to think of portability and control too. It can often be hard to get bigger scopes to where you want them to go. In my experience, if you know what you're doing, smaller scopes are just as good as bigger ones. [evil]
Yea, but a 5" scope has no "WOW" appeal.

If you tell a girl you have a 5" scope she probably isn't going to be interested in seeing how it works and you will not have the oppertunity to show her how skilled you are. On the other hand if you scope is named aricebo or NRAO very large array (or very large anything for that matter) you friend will probably be more interested in seeing what you can do with it. [evil]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture