homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Married Ten Years On Ides of March . . . What Do I Get Him? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Married Ten Years On Ides of March . . . What Do I Get Him?
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2007 18:58      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm Jess, and I'm married to WinterSolstice. Our tenth (10th!!) anniversary is on 15 March.

Before everyone starts in with the standard sexual favors, he already gets them. All the time. No, I'm not bragging. Okay, yes, I am.

What I want to know is: what would be a great geek guy gift that's romantic (emphasis on MAN) and thoughtful and says, "Hey, thanks for ten years of doing that weird stuff you do to make me laugh, and smile, and, um other things?"

I'd like to find something really over-the-top. Suggestions?

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 11, 2007 00:05      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double ZOMG! congrats on the then years and WB to the forrums... have not seen ya much round these parts.

As for romantic gift... for a man... Perhaps a one week gettaway for just the two of you, but that is not so singular is it, and it shouldn't be. You are married, then again, i am not... hmmm.

Does he have any interesting hobbies, or something that he craves... need more info to assist you.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 11, 2007 08:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Stihl chainsaw.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 09:46      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacMCSEBoy:

We actually took a week in Montreal, Canada at the end of September (SAP classes got canceled, we had nonrefundable tix, etc.), so we spent a week at museums and in bed. And playing head to head Mario Kart on our DS Lites.

Snaggy:

He has a chainsaw, but we have nothing to saw, or else we'd be dinged by the HOA (we now live in a condo in paradise), with a view of a lovely hill and palm trees from our bedroom sliding glass door (which goes onto a lovely patio).

But those are awesome suggestions!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 09:59      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

[Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 10:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

[Big Grin]

I'd say something like "Do you /really/ want a v1.0 thing like that?" except that we're talking about you...Mr. Early Adopter. [Wink]

How's that funky phone of yours working out, BTW?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 13:45      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
Before everyone starts in with the standard sexual favors, he already gets them. All the time. No, I'm not bragging. Okay, yes, I am.

Pics or it didn't happen.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 15:30      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

What I want to know is: what would be a great geek guy gift that's romantic (emphasis on MAN) and thoughtful and says, "Hey, thanks for ten years of doing that weird stuff you do to make me laugh, and smile, and, um other things?"

I'd like to find something really over-the-top. Suggestions?

The answer would be non-standard sexual favors.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 16:47      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman: Hehe. I saw the link and actually was going to buy him one. His problem is that he always wants vaporware . . . he wanted WoW: Burning Crusade for his birthday last year (August).

Cap'n Vic: He's our resident photographer. And do you really want pictures of (though creative) married sex? Really? Truly? Think before you answer . . .

Colonel Panic: You've apparently got the thumb's up vote from across the table. I got a resounding "Yeeeeeah!". So far, this seems to be the winner . . . now comes finding out the meaning of "non-standard" in our relationship . . . [Eek!]

I'm getting great ideas, and everyone posting is really helping me out!

For #13, by the way, we're looking to renew our vows in front of a vertically challenged Elvis impersonator-slash-minister in Las Vegas. If you people want to see that (and we'll encourage cameras), we can make it a GeekCulture sort of outing thingie.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 18:36            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I somehow think Cap'n Vic just might. Although it would probably help if you both covered yourself in mustard and had your arses on show for the camera ...
IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 05:44      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...vertically challenged Elvis impersonator-slash-minister...

For some reason, my brain latched on to the two words "slash" and "minister", and it was all downhill from there as I started to think of The DaVinci Code, provocative as it was, just didn't go far enough to really make good Bible fanfic.

I mean, yeah, Mary Magdalene could be screaming out Jesus' name, and actually be talking to the right guy. But I think Kirk and Spock have to be involved somehow to make it slash, you know?

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 07:20      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the 10th anniversary is either tin or aluminum. What about something fun? A tin windup toy?

Not tin or aluminum, but metal: a brand for his steaks when he's barbecuing.

Personalized tin beer bucket?

Metal briefcase?

A suit of armor? [crazy]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 12, 2007 08:00      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm platemail is cool [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 09:41      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no not Burning Crusade again... seems like everyone on my list wanted it (except for my immediate family, go figure). On the day it came out I ended up buying it as well, for the blood-elves. [crazy]

Hmmm, a MacBookPro? That's made of some metal isn't it? Or how about a MacPro? Wait, I know: an iPod nano! No that's not really over the top. Oh, I know, an iPod nano with "those photos" on it, heehee... [Big Grin]

BTW Mar. 15 is my birthday so congratulations on picking the perfect date for your wedding. And gratz on your anniversary. [Applause]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 10 posted February 12, 2007 13:59      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay :-)

uilleann: Well, I suppose Cap'nVic's significant other can do the mustard thing for him. I learn from others' mistakes -- Paris Hilton's, Britney Spears-Federline's, and Pamela Anderson's problems are not ones I want to have. Though it is creative . . .

supaboy: I have never heard the DaVinci Code called Bible fanfic. That's pretty cool. Thanks for giving the thread back. ;-)

Black Widow: Tin or aluminum . . . I know!!! Hat Kits! We have a grill, he doesn't drink often enough to require a beer tin, the last metal briefcase he had got donated, buuuuut . . . a suit of armor might be something.

WInterSolstice: You shouldn't be peeking . . . but yeah, platemail is very cool.

Tominfla: I made a Blood Elf, killed five flying worms then just couldn't stand them. He has a MacBook Pro. It's taking everything I have to get him NOT to buy me one (I have 2 Powerbook G4s from different years and he wants to get me a MacBook Pro). And I have an iPod mini, which I'm good with. I don't need to watch teeny movies. Interesting you were born on Caesar's death day. Happy birthday. Have a suit of armor . . .

Hmmm. . . now I have to go looking for platemail-makers.

--------------------

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 17:34      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Combine two of those suggestions and go for the Fantasy Metal Masks

But I might have to second Cap'n Vic's statement - pics or it didn't happen. (and hey 10 years married sex is exciting to me - I'm staring at 15 == grin == )

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
NTT
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 17:35      Profile for NTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.costumecraze.com/FAME24.html

--------------------
I get blamed for everything I do.

Posts: 17 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 17:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just_Jess_B: Why in the world are you linking to everyone's profile? It kill the snippets gizmo ( snipurl.com/gcdaily ). :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 17:42      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Just_Jess_B: Why in the world are you linking to everyone's profile? It kill the snippets gizmo ( snipurl.com/gcdaily ). :-/

Don't ya hate it when someone goes and ruins a perfectly good hack? [Wink]

She does that to me all the time - I'll make something (say a website) and she'll do something that's totally obvious, but I never thought to test/program for. It really helps tighten up my code, since "in the wild" people do that kind of stuff all the time.

(edit) Actually, another example: the bane of my existence back in 1999 was this dude name O'Brien... broke every web site I had to maintain

--------------------

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 18:04      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ides of March?

Hold a party for him and have all you and his ex-s stab him with daggers in the stomach. Maybe not Romantic, but Ironic, or maybe just amusing. I confuse those terms a lot.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 11:46      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-Man: Sorry I broke your thingie. My mother can crash a computer just playing Minesweeper. Seriously. Just . . . Minesweeper. I suppose it's just a gift. [Razz]

alfrin: The problem with that gift (which I admit does fall under the metal anniversary thing) is that it sort of ends the marriage. I suppose if you actually hate your spouse, it makes sense. Unfortunately, I really like him; because he's rare in that he is responsible, honorable, works hard, is uber-snuggly, and happens to be really interesting to talk to (trust me -- I have female friends who have given up on men because so few are these days), I'd probably turn the knives on myself before harming him.

It's been eleven years since we met (and a little less than that when we started dating exclusively), so we don't have the whole "crazy ex" issue some guys have. I'd have to do it alone, and the problem is that when we're alone, I'd rather have a nice shag than stab him to death.

Creative idea, though! Hope it works out for you and your s.o.! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 12:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really suck at over the top romance. In fact, I suck at under the top romance. So take this for a grain of salt. Does he have/want manspace? I imagine it doesn't have to be as fancy as anything on the site - just a corner or somthing to call his own. Not romantic, I'm sure, but it would be special. If he wants it, if it's possible, and if he doesn't really have it already.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 13:17      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
...manspace? ...

Like a garage? [Smile]

But seriously, it sounds like a good idea. Seeing as to how sexual favours are granted for this type of event, something that would seem more personal seems like a good idea. Gifts don't ever need to be expensive, just meaningful. I don't know about your SO's hobbies, Jess, but maybe something rare that he wouldn't expect?

Example: if he's into amateur radio, find him a set of replacement tubes for an old rig (if he digs antique hardware). If he's a LOTR buff, find him Brian Sibley's recording for the bbc... stuff like that.

Just my two cents.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 05:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Does he have/want manspace?

Somehow this summons to mind a gay variant of myspace. Hmm, now there's the ticket, getting gay people to redesign people's myspace profiles. "Queer Eye for the Myspace Site", so to speak. Given some of the god-awful monstrosities on that site, that's a pretty good idea...

Hmm, I've technically been married ten years as of a few days ago, now I think about it. Spent the last few separated though... so I'm not so hot on the what do I get him ideas right now...

Edit (mark 2): nwnf, um, aren't sexual favours the most personal gifts around [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 23:33      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Xanthine:
[nwnf, um, aren't sexual favours the most personal gifts around [Wink]

I would certainly hope so - any more personal and you'd have to get authorization from you primary care physician [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture