homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » So ready to just give up (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So ready to just give up
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2006 17:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bookchicky wrote:
I'm so tired now, and so thoroughly depressed. PLEASE, someone give me some words of encouragement. Tell me that there are still single, clean, thoughtful men out there.

Try not to despair. There are single, clean, thoughtful men out there. Some of them are even interested women.

And you haven't been stabbed or shot at yet, so you're not doing that badly [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
bookchicky
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4689

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 06:02      Profile for bookchicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

And you haven't been stabbed or shot at yet, so you're not doing that badly [Smile]

No, I haven't, but...funny story!

About nine years ago, a date and I were in my car just driving around. It was somewhere around midnight when we crossed the border into Pennsylvania, just taking the winding valley roads. He seemed to get VERY nervous at one point and started asking me all these questions - "Did we just cross the state line? Did we? Don't you think we should go back?" and on and on until I found a spot to turn around and head back.

I asked him what his problem was and he said that crossing state lines was a violation of his parole. He wouldn't tell me what he had done and after a few minutes of riding in silence he looked over and said, "Are you scared of me? Because maybe it's not such a bad idea."

I dropped his butt off at the nearest Denny's and stayed home a lot for the next couple of years.

Posts: 4 | From: Wilmington, DE | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted May 11, 2006 07:58            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, FireSnake, (if you're out there [Wink] you didn't do so badly after all with your luck :]
IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 11, 2006 09:19      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Speaking of various religions... in the 2003 Canadian census, approximately 20,000 Canadians listed their religion as 'jedi'.

Pst! Let off the drunken part, Newf. Census is every five years, on years ending by 1 and 6 (we're right in the middle of one: May 16th - count yourself in!). So there was no Canadian Census in 2003.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 10:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Speaking of various religions... in the 2003 Canadian census, approximately 20,000 Canadians listed their religion as 'jedi'.

Pst! Let off the drunken part, Newf. Census is every five years, on years ending by 1 and 6 (we're right in the middle of one: May 16th - count yourself in!). So there was no Canadian Census in 2003.
Meh. I confused the year with the year the story was posted.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 13:31      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried online dating through various means, but the pickin's were slim. There seemed to be very few profiles, and even fewer seemed interesting.

One day I called one of my friends up and I was going to invite him and some other people over to hang out. Well, he responded by inviting me to a party hosted by a mutual friend.

I did all of the regular party prep things that guys normally do (showering, putting on clothes, etc.) and went to the party intending to only have a good time (I just happen to like looking nice when I do that sort of thing). I knew about half the people there, so mingling was unusually easy. I actually started chatting with Fiance-to-Be with the initial impression, "This person seems like the party conversation-type, let's get our chat on," not "This girl looks single." I was honestly (and naively) just having a conversation and next thing you know, we're engaged.

Moral of the story: You have to take a somewhat Taoist apporoach to finding special someones. You need to be uninterested in a relationship in order to get yourself into one, either that or drunk.

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 16:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bookchicky wrote:
I asked him what his problem was and he said that crossing state lines was a violation of his parole. He wouldn't tell me what he had done and after a few minutes of riding in silence he looked over and said, "Are you scared of me? Because maybe it's not such a bad idea."

Yikes!

I have an ex-girlfriend from some years back who'd be a great match for him. She's a very nice girl who holds long conversations with her teddy bear, sincerely believes the teddy bear is talking back to her and only occasionally went completely off the deep end claimed the teddy bear told her it had seen me cheating on her with another woman.

They could spend their days happily scaring the dickens out of each other and everyone around them [Smile]

Isolated horror stories aside, though, for everyone traumatic, life threatening date I've had, I've had half a dozen that were okay. Don't let this run of bad luck get to you you too much. Giving up isn't the answer.

...and for those who know me: Yes, I know full well just how hypocritcal that last statement is, but I'm trying to talk myself into believing it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 19:42      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have an ex-girlfriend from some years back who'd be a great match for him. She's a very nice girl who holds long conversations with her teddy bear, sincerely believes the teddy bear is talking back to her and only occasionally went completely off the deep end claimed the teddy bear told her it had seen me cheating on her with another woman.

Wow, is this more common than I first thought? Is there a name for such a... realistical misconstruancy?

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 22:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
quote:

Wow, is this more common than I first thought? Is there a name for such a... realistical misconstruancy?
I had an ex who had conversations with her soft-toy dog. That's the same ex who taught me (the hard way) how to disarm an assailant armed with a knife.

Run away. Very fast.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 08:42      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did, 6 months and a week ago, and I never looked back.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture