homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Thoughts On Cross-Geekdom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thoughts On Cross-Geekdom
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 11:03      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't think I'd be posting in this part of the fora anytime soon...I've been off the playing field for so long that I've forgotten what people do when they're getting to know each other.

Anyway, I have a date, potentially on Friday, with someone I met at a mutual friend's party. He's a big ol' shy linguist who's into D&D and fantasy novels. We've got the pop culture side of geekiness in common, but at heart I'm an engineer and he's a language fiend.

So I'm thinking like hell to come up with something to do that's cool for both of us. I hate traditional dates...dinner and a movie is too old-school, and movies cut out all means of conversation. I was thinking of suggesting the Science Museum; it's free this month for members of my bank, and open late on Fridays, however, I'm not sure if it'll appeal to him, as he's more of an arts person from what I can judge. Any other ideas? (Boston-area people, I'm looking at you.)

Also, I met him at a formal-dress party. That is to say, I was all girlified and wearing a dress. I think that my friends' reactions ("It's Demos and she's in a DRESS OMG OMG") made it clear that I'm no fashionista, but is it going to be freaky if I show up in jeans and a Deicide t-shirt?

I'm nervous, damn.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 11:24      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the MIT museum to satisfy your geekiness, followed by the MFA to take care of his artsy-fartsy side? Heck, he might even like the holography and Edgerton exhibits, so you wouldn't have to feel guilty about dragging him to a techy place. If you're looking for a place both of you will enjoy, Comedy Connection should do the trick, though you'll be faced with the same issue as with the movie option - other than lots of maniacal laughter, there wouldn't be much talking on your side.

PS: Don't get any ideas about that sweet track bike at the MIT museum, I heard it's well-guarded by a bunch of mutant MIT midgets with dual head-mounted miniguns [Razz]

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 15:09      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Also, I met him at a formal-dress party. That is to say, I was all girlified and wearing a dress. I think that my friends' reactions ("It's Demos and she's in a DRESS OMG OMG") made it clear that I'm no fashionista, but is it going to be freaky if I show up in jeans and a Deicide t-shirt?

Not having been in Boston for a number of years I will leave responding to that part of your post to someone else, but "jeans and a Deicide t-shirt" are pretty much the kind of person you are from everything I have seen you post. One of the keys to a successful date is to be the best version of YOU that you can be. So the t-shirt seems appropriate to me. Of course depending on the venue you choose, you may need to modify the outfit, but dress for yourself not someone else is pretty good rule.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 15:40      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm not from Boston, so these will be generic suggestions:

Big thumbs up to the museums. Unless it's a really obscure subject, museums are perfect for geeks of all flavors and provide fodder for a nearly endless stream of conversation.

Don't rule out a zoo, nature park, or botanic garden--they totally rock in the evening because the kiddies have gone home and the adults come out to play. The zoo and botanic gardens in Denver are open til after dark on weekends and makes a great prelude for dinner or other evening events. Plus, living/growing things do stuff that makes for great conversation.

I can think of others, but maybe better for second dates...

Hope it goes well!

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 17:01      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He's a big ol' shy linguist who's into D&D and fantasy novels. We've got the pop culture side of geekiness in common, but at heart I'm an engineer and he's a language fiend.

Linguist... nice. (Some languages do require impressive tongue dexterity...)

As far as something to do, come up with 3 suggestions, all things that you would enjoy, and then let him decide. (Did he leave it up to you, or is he off wracking his brain over what he's going to take you to do, too?) A date should be about hanging out with someone and having fun, not stress or trying to impress them.

If you get really stuck, you could pick some weird stuff on Roadside America and go check it out. The Mapparium looks fun.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 17:18      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
Did he leave it up to you, or is he off wracking his brain over what he's going to take you to do, too?

It's one of those "Hey, let's get together and do something" things. We just need a something.

I think I'm going to hit him with the Science Museum, because it's never failed me before; if that gets shot down, then there's a natural history museum nearby, Museum of Fine Arts which has a huge historical section, and about a zillion coffee shops 'round these parts. All else fails? Spike's Junkyard Dogs, 'cause if this kid doesn't like Spike's, he's getting kicked to the curb. [Razz]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 18:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you were going to settle for a movie, you could see The Museum of Bad Art while you were at it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2006 19:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And good luck D! I hope you have fun, and he turns out OK. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2006 09:50      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, and like Dman once said, try not to go Klingon on each other on the first date [Razz] . If you do, make sure you provide us with all the gory details.
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2006 20:35      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Science museum it is. [Big Grin] Frankly, I don't think I could've gone through with it if he hadn't been into the science museum, because really...who doesn't dig science museums?!
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 10:14      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not Jeans and button-up shirt? NOT with heels, but NO tennis shoes either. I would go with some sort of an open-toe, or cloggy somethings (but I am only 5"2).

*edit*
Does anyone know about the Omni Theatre?... like how many locations it has? That would be good followed by the science meusem that connects it ..... well, at least thats how it is here .
Also, seeing StarWars at the Imax was fun for me [Wink] .(expet that they had to cut out a lot os scenes.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 10:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorned0Fortress:
Why not Jeans and button-up shirt? NOT with heels, but NO tennis shoes either. I would go with some sort of an open-toe, or cloggy somethings (but I am only 5"2).

From what I've read, that's not Dem's thing. She shouldn't dress uncomfortably to show something other than who she really is. If the guy isn't interested in the way she likes to be, it obviously isn't going to go anywhere.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 10:19      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well DUH its not her 'normal' thing... thatw why I suggested it. I wasn't saying that she shoudl be uncomfortable, but was trying to incoorporate her style, with first-date attire
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 10:43            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, I'm going to vote (in general) for wearing what you normally wear :) Never been one for dressy/smart anything, or formalities, and especially not the idea of making dates into some sort of self-imposed torture. No pretence, no fuss and just be yourself. Of course, in cases like these, it helps to both be of the same viewpoint -- or (ugh) discuss it first -- else you may end up with a fantastic mismatch :)
IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 11, 2006 12:24      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since no one else has said it yet:

Naked-Beer [Big Grin]

Edit: Naked with beer

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 13:16            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naked beer?
Naked minus beer?
[Smile]

The latter suits me; I don't like beer! Still, there is something to be said about the tease of clothes covering the shape of the body, concealing yet hinting; starting out naked doesn't give you a chance to build up any lust and desire [Smile] There's always time to get naked later.

I'd say, show up with a mind full of crazy ideas; the sign of a beautiful mind is all the peculiarity it exudes. And there's nothing more fun than dreams and crazy ideas [Smile] (Someone I know has been planning for some time to write a 4D shooter. Not time, but four spatial dimensions. She's nuts.)

IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 08:52      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, how was the hot date? Did everything go well, or are we going to see an article about some terribly maimed and disfigured unidentified male getting fished out from the bottom of the Charles river all over the front pages in a few days? [Razz]
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 10:32      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
So, how was the hot date? Did everything go well, or are we going to see an article about some terribly maimed and disfigured unidentified male getting fished out from the bottom of the Charles river all over the front pages in a few days?

In a way, maiming and dumping the body makes for a good date, too...fortunately for the Boston Police Department, this one got an in when he said he wanted a bioluminescent liver that he could use to meet people in bars: "I'd keep all the people who didn't run screaming...in jars."

If that's not compatability, I don't know what is. [Big Grin]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 10:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man...now why can't I come up with golden lines like that? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 11:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey baby, wanna see my bioluminscent liver?

You know, I'm not sure that's going to get you very far...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2006 11:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I'd keep all the people who didn't run screaming...in jars."

If that's not compatability, I don't know what is. [Big Grin]

Sounds like a nice, creative young fellow, but tell him to get a blender and a larger jar - it's fun to mix things up every once in a while [evil]

PS: Here's another Demos compatibility test for you: ask the dude what he wants to name your firstborn child. If he replies with "a tasty snack," you're golden.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture