homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Plans, oh plans (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Plans, oh plans
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 07:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading pretty much everywhere, that the entire housing market is about to take a turn for the worse -- the growth over the last while is simply unsustainable, and people're going to start realising they're FUCKED.

I'm saving my downpayment, and waiting a few years before I get in on the buying a house thing.. I'm in one of the fastest growing parts of Canada right now, and housing has shot up some stupid amount (over > 150%) in the last few years, and it can't hold.

The kind of house I want is currently in the $150-250k range. A decent sized bungalow or house. I don't want a townhouse, a condo, or a cookie cutter house built in a new neighbourhood or any of that shit.. I want an old house that's been around a while, and it's perfectly OK if it needs some work, I enjoy that sorta thing.

And so I wait..

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 08:22      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey DNF here is a listing for you. A true handyman's special. It is just a tad out of your price range, but with the right mortgage broker pushing the right loan I am sure you will be able to slide right in. [Big Grin] Honestly this is the sort of listing that makes you think many people connected with real estate have been sucking on a crack pipe for way toooooo long.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/619/2015/1600/notbuilt.jpg

They originally listed for 900,000.00

Real estate is this decades crack cocaine.

If anyone is interested in reading more about this wreck or seeing some other chuckle-worthy ones you can find it here

http://overvalued.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_overvalued_archive.html

This house with no walls is almost all the way down the page.

Ok, no more nagging now.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 10:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YaYawoman:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/619/2015/1600/notbuilt.jpg

They originally listed for 900,000.00

Did they realise they confused , with . and change the price to $900?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 10:43      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can I get unbiased advice about projections for the market in my area?

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 11:01      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the links, YaYa.

The housing market here in California has been ridiculous the last five years. Some areas in the Central Valley have been really popular with L.A. and Bay Area buyers, who have been buying and selling as an investment. Meanwhile, quite a few of the low-income people who actually live here are finding it harder and harder to buy or rent affordable housing.

If this housing bubble doesn't pop in the next 3 or 4 years, like that blog's predicting, I'm leaving the state.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 11:34      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only the last five years? No, it's been crazy much longer than that. Even the condos around here go for $300,000 and they're in crap neighborhoods. I think the only way we're ever going to own a home is by moving to another state.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 13:50      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Only the last five years? No, it's been crazy much longer than that. Even the condos around here go for $300,000 and they're in crap neighborhoods. I think the only way we're ever going to own a home is by moving to another state.

Yeah, the coastal areas have been ridiculously expensive for a long time (my grandparents sold their home in Seal Beach and moved inland about 25 years ago because the place was worth so much more than when they originally bought it), but it's been much more recently that properties have gotten so expensive in the Central Valley. Merced, for example, has seen a 45% increace in home prices in four years.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 14:41      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Where can I get unbiased advice about projections for the market in my area?

Unbiased? If you use a realtor-based site it will sugarplums,fairies and profits for all. If you read the bubble sites and blogs it will be doom and gloom with a bit of glee thrown in.

One of the best things to do when you are buying/selling is to go to the county assessor/property office and look up condos and houses in your neighborhood. That way you can see sales history(date of sale, amount of sale, property taxes) and with that information you can make an informed decision on what comparable units are selling for. This will help when you are ready to purchase also because you can see who is most likely a speculator/flipper out to skin you and squeeze you dry. Here are some links you might want to check out.

www.benengebreth.org

www.beartopia.net

www.shorebubble.blogspot.com

and one of my personal favorites:

[email protected], which has some decent forums and if you throw the question out these people will have the answer. I am just an amateur bubblewatcher, they eat and breath it.

Good luck and I hope these may have helped.

Sxeptomaniac I am glad you enjoyed the links. CA is ground zero for the pop. The most unsustainable thing about the valley and other areas around LA is that the median salary is around 44,000.00 or less. 300-400,000 for a POS on that salary? No way. Not with the interest rates going up and the regulators starting to nose about the banks getting ready to tighten lending standards. No more holding a mirror under a borrowers nose to see if it fogs.

Hahaha, a homeless man in Florida died and it turns out he had just gotten his 5th loan from Fannie mae to buy his 5th house. I guess there is a lot of tightening needed.

EDIT: I found one more link that may help with the market direction/price question.

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/housing/2006/index.asp
It doesn't look like they include NJ but they do have large metro areas around it. Maybe you can extrapolate.

If I grind on and on about this topic, just cry uncle and I will stop. I have become very intrigued watching all of this happen. How can you not hold your breath and watch as history is made? I swear I can see us 35 years or so down the road with all the little grand-geeks running around as we start in with another story about
'the great housing crash of ought six'of course boring the ungrateful little whippersnappers to tears. [evil]

This link is for rhonnie. It is the answer to the question But who can afford these things.

http://www.30kmillionaires.com/

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2006 17:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard on a news blurb five minutes ago (7:55pm EST) that prices per gallon of oil broke $75 in New York today. I guess the good news for the housing bubble impending burst is that maybe buyers can afford to move closer to work/civilization so they needn't spend much on gas. [ohwell]

Thanks for the link, Yaya. Quite interesting. They could very easily make it a reality TV show. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 10:04      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I just heard on a news blurb five minutes ago (7:55pm EST) that prices per gallon of oil broke $75 in New York today.

I believe that was the "per barrel price of crude", Rhon. If not, hold on to your shorts with both hands, the end is near. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
LinuxPhreak
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5033

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 11:58      Profile for LinuxPhreak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry I just skimed threw this section. But I don't think I heard anyone mention hud.gov this is house and urban devolopment. Also try to find government seezed houses. I've those house go for hundreds of dollars. True they will need alot of work done on them. But hey we're geeks we like to do it ourselves.

Another great option is my father is Vice President of Madaro Enterprises. He buys and sells house down in Flarida. I'm not sure where you live. But try giving him a call.

Note: if you want a hook up from him. Send me an E- Mail of your real name. That way when you contact him I can say I know you.

--------------------
I am not important. No one is. To be important you need to make history your word must be important. Your inventions must be as equally important.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 13:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
I just heard on a news blurb five minutes ago (7:55pm EST) that prices per gallon of oil broke $75 in New York today.

I believe that was the "per barrel price of crude", Rhon. If not, hold on to your shorts with both hands, the end is near. [Big Grin]
Fsck...If that were the case, I'd get up @5 AM, and /walk/ to work.

Mind you, it was $3.07/gal the other day...at my favorite station (one of the cheapest in the area). I only put in $10 - with any luck that might last me close to a week.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 14:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops. Yeah, that's per barrel. I was typing too quickly with my mind on other things. Thanks for the heads-up!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2006 17:47      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
It really spites me that I didn't major in IST or CSE when I was in college, but I never considered the potentials. [ohwell]

Really,

The potentials, for mind racking schoolwork, and paranoid programming teachers... oh joy... Welcome to Computer Science.

I just have to work harder.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2006 18:56      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
You said it. Certs aren't worth the paper they're printed on. If you have it, you have it. If you don't, you don't. Real experience is what counts - the paper is only important if it's an absolute requirement...or it's still worth something (like the *high* level Cisco stuff).

I am in the process of interviewing people for a Systems Administrator position and I don't agree. Sure it is possible to get certifications without understanding much of the material, but I do take certs into account when I look at a resume.

Experience is important and I won't hire someone who doesn't have real world experience, but if I don't see any certifications I am less likely to put them in the to be considered pile. It does depend on what they are going to be doing though. Right now I am looking for a Windows Active Directory savvy person and an MCSE and CCNA tells me something about their ability to do that. When I am looking for Mac people, an ACSA or ACTC does not mean as much but it certainly does not hurt. I'll put weight on the SANS certifications for Mac, Windows, or *nix positions as well.

For what it is worth according to the SAGE Salary Survey:
  • Perceived value of Certs % Resp.
  • Sometimes, it depends 47.4%
  • Rarely, a few are good 19.5%
  • Generally good 11.1%
  • No, generally worthless 10.5%
  • Pretty good 9.2%
  • No opinion 2.3%
All that being said though, a cover letter with no typos, that describes why they are interested in the specific position (winnows down the pile by 40%), accompanied by a nicely laid out resume that clearly shows how they have applied their skills effectively (30% more gone) are the biggest hurdles that most applicants seem to falter on. With the 30% of applicants that get through the I am not clueless screening I start looking at experience, length of time at prior jobs, education, certifications, location, citizenship, etc.

However, the single most important piece of advice that I can give to people who want to make more by moving into IT is to treat your resume and cover letter like the work that you put into it is worth several thousand dollars. In the end it probably was. That advice obviously is not restricted to the IT field either.

Geordie
CCNA GSEC ACTC MCP A+ Net+

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 14:17      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Atlantic City Metro area is significantly different from adjacent metros. It has seen rapid increase while the Philadelphia area saw a milder increase.

Also, New Yorkers and North Jerseyans usually don't go to the shore south of Long Beach Island.

Either way, I think the best solution right now is to rent for a year or two.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture