homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Wanted: Your opinions! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Wanted: Your opinions!
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 14:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to figure out which dress I should buy for my (eventual) wedding. I found a gorgeous one I absolutely love, but when looking through other Web sites to try to find a cheaper price, I came across another style by the same designer. So now I don't know which dress I want. What do you suggest... and WHY? Also, I have the option of white and ivory in both dresses. Which would be best for my coloring?

Oh right... and what kind of veil would you recommend?

Here's me:  -

Dress with "overcoat"

Dress with sleeves

I won't tell you which one is cheaper, but I did finally find a Web site where I can buy these dresses for $200 less than on most other sites.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 16:57      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I like dress with "overcoat", but the pictures are not as good, so I can't be sure.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 19:59      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... take this with a grain of salt, but I like the sleeveless version of the second one. Maybe that's because, knowing me, I'd get cake frosting all over those beautiful drapey white sleeves during the reception. Plus I like the back on the 2nd one better. That laced-up look is cute.

Given your hair colour, I'd say ivory might be nice-- warmer & softer than the pure white. But nothing beats trying on-- maybe you could find something ivory to compare with white from a thrift store, etc. (given that you wouldn't be able to try on the actual dresses since they are from online retailers).

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 20:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good suggestions, ARJ! Thanks!

Geordie, thanks for putting in your vote, too.

So far it seems pretty well split down the middle between what my friends and family think. I want to get my measurements on Wednesday so I can figure out what size I need. It turns out that the second dress (the one without the overcoat) is being discontinued by the designer, so I really want to make a decision soon!

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 20:45      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the "overcoat" gown better -- overall it just seems a bit more elegant and put together. I'm assuming you can take the overcoat part off when you eat your first piece of cake in case of any, erm, "accidents" your new hubby might have in steering the cake to your mouth or vice-versa [Wink]

I do agree with ARJ that the back of the second gown is nicer, but the front isn't grabbing me, and I think that's a bit more important.

And I'd go with the white with your coloring, just because the ivory might be too close to your skin tone.

Caveat emptor for all the above: Mrs. Club has always told me I lack fashion sense, so feel free to ignore [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 21:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the last picture of the dress with the overcoat, it looks like the sleeves are attached to the dress and the overcoat is actually a glorified vest!

The thing with that outfit is that, as you can tell from my picture, I'm rather abundantly blessed in the bosom-area, so I'm not sure how well the overcoat dress would fit. It's high-waisted, and typically the seams hit on my bust, not underneath it. [ohwell]

If it didn't cost 30% to restock the dresses, I'd order both of them to try on. This whole process is showing me how much I depend on Jonathan to talk out decisions. It's so hard not to show him these pictures and ask for his opinion! [cry baby]

--------------------

YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 21:20      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rhonnie

Both dresses are pretty.

I think the 2nd dress without the overcoat would be the best bet. You have already stated that you
are well-endowed and I think the second dress would keep the focus on the bride and not the brideboobies. (sorry couldnt resist [Big Grin] ) It has a simpler line starting from the waist and going to the diagonal hip-gathering. I think the eye would be drawn to the total bride and dress. The dress with the overcoat seems to have everything gather in a triangle type point right at the area just underneath and dead center of your boobs. Both are very pretty, and both would look good on you but it just depends on what look you are looking for. I have no idea about the color though. I personally like warmer the better but i dont know jack really about fashion so i guess just order which color you prefer.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 07:24      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the second dress. The first does seem a little busy below the "bride-boobies" (sorry, I liked the word). The second seems more elegant and simple, and I love the lace-up thing. A friend of mine wore a similar dress in her wedding and said it was really nice because she could use the laces to customize it to fit her on her actual wedding day and not just 3 weeks before. Hers was ivory, and it looked beautiful. She has similar coloring as you as well. However, I think ARJ had a good idea to just try on random dresses in both colors just to see how they look on you.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted April 04, 2006 10:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, who is gonna Photoshop this?
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 10:14      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lines and cut of the first one are more interesting and flowing...that is to say, it looks more like a wedding gown, while the second one strikes me as a white bridesmaid's dress.

White flatters almost no-one. A cream color with no pinkish undertones would do you really well.

Not that I know anything about wedding dresses. [Razz]

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 10:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ Snaggy. [Smile]

The more I look at the dress with the overcoat, the more I think it looks like something I should be wearing on my wedding night, not to the ceremony! It looks like a nightgown with a robe. Not exactly my idea of a good dress!

I really like the stateliness of the other dress. It's simple, but it's not boring. The swept-up skirt is really cool. The neckline is rather low, but I just love the line of it.

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 12:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 12:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEHEHEHEEE!! Vic, that makes me laugh!! Really funny pose with the cheesy grin on my face! Thanks for making it!

Hmmm... can you enlarge the bust so I can see if the dress can handle it?

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 12:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done.

-

.. what?

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 12:58      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wey-hey!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
 -

When I win the Lottery, I'm gonna get me one of them! [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 15:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAAA??? Apparently dnm hasn't ever come in contact with a real bosom (no offense meant to you, Amanda!) if that's what he thinks they look like! [Razz]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 16:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
WHAAA??? Apparently dnm hasn't ever come in contact with a real bosom (no offense meant to you, Amanda!) if that's what he thinks they look like! [Razz]

I've come in contact with more boobies than most Hollywood plastic surgeons.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 17:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you actually came across breasts that conical? Who were you dating? Madonna? [Razz]

--------------------

ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted April 04, 2006 17:41      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the first option [thumbsup]
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 17:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:
I like the first option [thumbsup]

/me cringes and chooses the second one.

No offense, Zorro, but knowing your tastes aren't exactly ones I espouse...

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 18:22      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

Must......resist........mother joke [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 01:04      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for the secound one, it will suit you better, the sleeves wouldnt be as nice.
do you have any pictures of veil's, so we can all have a look at those.

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 07:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
quote:

[Razz] Believe it or not, neither myself, nor my sister were breast fed, so that wouldn't work.
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 11:18      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
quote:

[Razz] Believe it or not, neither myself, nor my sister were breast fed, so that wouldn't work.
Your mother was breast fed!
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 11:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie, I'm a big fan of the veils with flowers. The bride as princess thing just doesn't do it for me. You're getting married, not coronated. I especially like live flowers, but that might not be practical (okay, my hippy streak is coming out...).

As for the color, get a friend, go to the fabric store, and hold up swaths of white and ivory next to yourself and see which is better. Like Demo said, not many people can pull off white.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture