homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » I am such a fool! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I am such a fool!
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 01, 2006 17:44      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have this amazing ability to seek out and meet all the girls I cant actually have. And once again I have managed to do it, this time its distance thats the problem.

Doest anyone else seem to suffer this problem, and what in the hell do you do about it. Its very disconcerting and somewhat distracting.

me runs off to smack head into wall, hoping that it will knock a few cobwebs loose.

/me is such a dumbass sometimes [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 18:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Infinitesimal:
I seem to have this amazing ability to seek out and meet all the girls I cant actually have. And once again I have managed to do it, this time its distance thats the problem.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Not sure what the solution is, but I share your problem.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 18:47      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pub crawl for the LDR group. [Big Grin]

I wouldn't say it's a problem for me in that it happens all the time, but I know exactly what it's like with the distance thing. We both really like each other and we've both recognized that there is a lot of potential, but without meeting in the real world we can only be friends. Being around 18000km distant makes that dificult, at least for the near future.

Yes, it's driving me crazy, made all the worse that for technical reasons on her end we've had only sporadic emails and no chat over the last six weeks.

To make matters worse, the other day I met a really nice girl while we got lost trying to find our class on the second day of the new semester at uni. Then yesterday we worked together on a lab exercise in a signal processing unit.

I feel like I'm walking a very thin line here. I have very, very strong feelings for my LDR, but a part of me wonders whether it's worth holding out for more. If I had the money, I'd be over there in a flash.

/me very confused [Confused]

I feel like smacking my head against a wall too.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 20:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
Yes, it's driving me crazy, made all the worse that for technical reasons on her end we've had only sporadic emails and no chat over the last six weeks.

Yeah, know the feeling, my long distance friend's computer has been busted recently, so almost no contact except the occasional text message or phone call. Definitely planning a US trip at some point though...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 22:31      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well this kind of stuff almost never happens to me, so I have no idea what to do about it!

And I have such A one track mind im going to be ranting about this for far too long methinks.

sigh [Frown]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 23:35      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it really hard to stop thinking about my situation these days. After such a long drought, I now find myself with somewhat of an embarassment of riches and I have absolutely know idea what to do.

It's all very confusing. Sometimes I think I should do an Obi Wan and become a hermit out in the middle of the desert.

We can start the Aussie Geeks Long Distance Relationship Support Group.

--------------------

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 23:47      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah the Aussie longdistance longdistance support group, tis A pitty we are scattered all of the damn place, or Id take you guys to the neares pub for beer + 8-ball. Its the only thing for it.

--------------------

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 00:21      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First round is on me

/me raises glass

Cheers fellas

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 13:45      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can also sympathize with some of the long-distance problems. I don't have quite as far to go, since I could be there in about 2.5 hours, but conflicting schedules has often made things really difficult. [Frown]

I'm not Aussie, but I'll buy a round.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 19:19      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'm back now...

Long distance relationships are really difficult. It takes a lot to make them work. One of the hardest parts, for me anyway, is dealing with the day in, day out emptiness. There's a certain amount of envy watching other people get to do relationship things with a warm body. It's like being "alone" except that you can't even go out and find someone for physical intimacy.

Of course, for a really special person, the wait is worth it and the mental connection can get you by.

Right now I'm waiting for my interview with the Swedish consulate in NY for my residency permit application. I'm hoping to have it by the end of March. We weren't even going to apply until fall of '06 until we realized that it takes some people 8-12 months.

And he's got this thing against Skype. So I don't even get to hear his voice.

So, I'll pick up a round too.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 20:10      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that gets me the most about all this is that I should know better by now. But I seem to challenge myself to new hights of improbability [ohwell]

And of course you often dont have any say whatsoever and logic of course goes out the door most of the time in this sort of situation.

see you all at the pub. [thumbsup]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 20:14      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:

Don't let that stop you. There are other VOIP applications that do just the same sort of job, just a matter of coordination.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 20:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, fs. That must be SOOO hard! And here I was sulking ( [shake head] ) that my boy should've been home from work six hours ago, which is plenty of time to compose even a short e-mail to me, but nada in my inbox.

Thanks for the (unintentional) reminder not to take anything for granted and to appreciate the little things living 30 minutes apart can afford.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 22:18      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

Don't let that stop you. There are other VOIP applications that do just the same sort of job, just a matter of coordination.
I'm double NAT'd, behind a firewall I have no control over, and on satellite with all the attendant latency. The fact that Skype just works is the single best endorsement I can make for it. (And, on a good day, there's less lag on Skype than on a mobile to Thailand for instance.)

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 06:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:

I'm double NAT'd, behind a firewall I have no control over, and on satellite with all the attendant latency. The fact that Skype just works is the single best endorsement I can make for it. (And, on a good day, there's less lag on Skype than on a mobile to Thailand for instance.)
Well, I'm rather opposed to the way Skype supports its business model on a P2P firewall busting functionality. The fact that it's from the KaZaA people doesn't sit right with me either. Therefore, I too, won't run Skype.

I'd recommend Google Talk, but I think he's more Google paranoid than myself. I'm pretty sure Gaim will be getting Google Talk support (the voice part, the rest is plain Jabber) soon, and perhaps that'll change one's opinion. (I'm pretty sure it can be used *somehow* from Linux, but at present, I don't know.

Edit/P.S. Oh, and just as an aside, this turned up in my RSS for the day:
http://googletalk.blogspot.com/2006/03/third-party-client-use-of-google-talk.html

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 14:44      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh and I thought it only happened to me...
Been saving for a trip up north, but still long for that to happen *sigh*

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 16:18      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by niniel:

Its even more fun when its more like half the planet you would need to travel across to get there [ohwell]

--------------------

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 18:20      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Its even more fun when its more like half the planet you would need to travel across to get there [ohwell]
Let me guess: the States?

Which part?

Not Florida? That's where mine is.

--------------------

niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 19:00      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which part?

How far away is Finland from Central America? =\

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 19:02      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which part?

somewhere in New York state, so posibly the furthers from Oz you could get in the states :/
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 19:06      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which part?

How far away is Finland from Central America? =\
about half the planet, so I guess you really do know what I mean.

--------------------

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 21:33      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which part?

somewhere in New York state, so posibly the furthers from Oz you could get in the states :/
Yeah, but I've got an extra 3000km more than you.

Mine is planning on moving to NYC for the summer. We should plan a joint trip. [crazy]
What about you, csk, would you be in too? [Smile]

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 22:14      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well, I'm rather opposed to the way Skype supports its business model on a P2P firewall busting functionality. The fact that it's from the KaZaA people doesn't sit right with me either. Therefore, I too, won't run Skype.

I'd recommend Google Talk, but I think he's more Google paranoid than myself. I'm pretty sure Gaim will be getting Google Talk support (the voice part, the rest is plain Jabber) soon, and perhaps that'll change one's opinion. (I'm pretty sure it can be used *somehow* from Linux, but at present, I don't know.

Edit/P.S. Oh, and just as an aside, this turned up in my RSS for the day:
http://googletalk.blogspot.com/2006/03/third-party-client-use-of-google-talk.html

He's relented and promises to try Skype again this weekend. I'm *still* trying to get him to sign up a Google account. :sighs: boys.

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 22:49      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Which part?

Yeah, but I've got an extra 3000km more than you.

Mine is planning on moving to NYC for the summer. We should plan a joint trip. [crazy]
What about you, csk, would you be in too? [Smile]

If I can get the money together hell yeah!
It will be insane given the fact Melbourne is the biggest city I have been to!

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2006 23:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, if you guys wind up in the states (within 200 miles of me—I think NYC fits in there), totally let me know and I'd be up for a m00t! Jonathan loves NYC, so I might bring him along with me. Just let me know far enough in advance so we both can schedule off work. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture