homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Lonely Loser, Loosely Looking (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Lonely Loser, Loosely Looking
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 21:48      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! You did eHarmony, too? That's how I met my current boyfriend.

Is that Mr. Mover? I thought he was really judgemental and you ditched him?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 21:56      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Volume, of course. She wears a tshirt (to preserve modesty, of course), then dips the items in question into a measured volume of water.

Naturally, for uh.. scientific reasons, the water should be incredibly cold.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 21:58      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam:
For the most part, I've found that I am dating women without a survival instinct.
As Such, I have developed a round one interview question: "You wake up in the morning, and find that the world has been overtaken by the living dead. Friends, neighbors, family members all shamble about in the street, hungering for teh flesh of the living. You are mysteriously unaffected. What do you do?"
A woman's response to this question, I find, is an excellent criteria for datability. Mostly based on creativity, but loosely reliant upon knowledge of Zombies.

Well if it makes you feel better, should I ever wind up on the single roll again, you've just made picking me up that much more difficult for the average guy. I'm now going to hold out for questions on surviving encounters with the undead.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 22:13      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
Surely this is an exercise in optimization. Simply quantify all the extant properties of the four women's breasts and enter them into your multidimensional partial differential equations.

So we need volume, density, horizontal and vertical position, any size differences between the two breasts, nipple radius, nipple length and nipple position. Also helpful if there was a way of quantifying them: perkiness and texture.

Anyone want to win an Ig-nobel with me? [Geek]

I don't get it [Confused] I don't suppose you've got a worked example [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 23:13      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Volume, of course. She wears a tshirt (to preserve modesty, of course), then dips the items in question into a measured volume of water.

And to maintain a rigorous experimental method the shirt has to be white, of course.

Csk, we want to work out the differential equations for the perfect breats and then see how each of the four women compare. Whichever optimises the equations best, wins. So obviously we want to maximize volume, minimize size difference, and find the critical values for the other criteria.

Now wouldn't that be a great honours project?

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 23:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure. When do we get to do the measuring on your brains?

Wait, that's assuming men have brains... [Razz]

/me opens up a can of worms [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2006 23:57      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually had Great success with eHarmony.
First, it got my persoanlity pretty well, so I stuck with it. Second, it kept matching me to some Very Sexy Careers.
Teachers, Chemists, Health Care Personnel...
It was going well.
Also I was inundated with dates. the service was flowing over with women who wanted a piece of me.

Until they met me!
"It's like you're the boy, and I'm the Girl." Said Dylan.
"I'm sorry, It's 7:30. I need to get home to make my lesson plan for tomorrow," Said Aegyptus
"Zombies? I would go to Disney Land," Said Maddie.

Okay, I gave Maddie the Axe right there.

But most of the women I met were just far too uninteresting. They were So Old. I mean, some of them are younger than me, But I guess when they graduated college, they decided to grow up? Liek, when they had responsibilities, they forgot how to invent and build and learn and play.
Why does that happen to some people? It's a shame, but clearly I need a woman with this special gift.

I need play to keep my mind occupied. With out Play, I would whither and die, as a pathetic husk of a man.

I joined eHarmony with a 3 month promotional code, and when that ran out, I said:
"Screw this. Thes people are all normies anyway."

And I really appreciate hearing that someone else enjoyed my story. My friends liked it, But the real test is showing it to people who don't pity me.

--------------------
[H]ard since '99
www.heroseekingvigilante.blogspot.com

Posts: 48 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 00:00      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Haven't you heard? It's directly proportional to the size of one's car (after all, if A is inversely proportional to B, and B is inversely proportional to C, then A and C are directly proportional).

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 03:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"Zombies? I would go to Disney Land," Said Maddie.

Okay, I gave Maddie the Axe right there.

First of all major respect to you for devising The Zombie Question (TZQ) as a dating tool. You are a genius. But I think you were perhaps a little too hasty with Maddie. First of all Disneyland would be an excellent setting for a this. I can see them now shambling around inexpertly disguised in those cartoon character costumes and falling out of cars on the roller coasters. There would also be plenty of unusual items which they, and you could improvise into weapons. In zombie movies you always meet up with an ill assorted bunch of oddballs who with you are the only humans left, and this is not improbable in Disneyland. Lastly I like zombie movies to end with a large explosion and whose heart would not be gladdened by the sight of Disneyland disappearing in a ball of fire with masses of severed limbs and screaming children.

/edit I have just read your blog and see that Mandy had a rather more mundane view of this and how TZQ revealed her essentially dull nature. csk is right, you are a real writer, which is fairly rare in people with a scientific/technical bent.

quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

I think you have all forgotten a vital aspect of any scientific investigation is repeatability and confirmation of your results by alternative tests.

So the important thing is to measure them very very often by as many means as possible. Only then can you begin to draw conclusions with any scientific rigour.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 06:38      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I think you have all forgotten a vital aspect of any scientific investigation is repeatability and confirmation of your results by alternative tests.

So the important thing is to measure them very very often by as many means as possible. Only then can you begin to draw conclusions with any scientific rigour.

You see that kiddies? That's the correct kind of answer that only comes with experience. Distill away all the other balderdash, (using warm water or cold - your choice), and in the end it is the repeatability that matters. [Big Grin]

Ha! Gotcha.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 07:38      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize this was the first post in the thread and that there have been countless posts since then, but I'd like to respond anyway.

quote:

Anyway, I'm so mentally exhausted from meeting and failing to impress all these new people, I don't know what to do with myself. As soon as I decide that I'm tired of constant rejection, I still go meet someone new, and start the painful painful cycle again.

Anyone feel me?

What I noticed was that no one so far has said this is a completely normal reaction. I "feel" you. I go through the same thing.

I like to think I'm reasonably attractive (several members here have met me, so at least they can attest that I'm not hideous). I am smart, hold a Master's Degree (almost a PhD), am a great Mom who knows how to separate that from the rest of her life, am about to publish my first book and pitching two more, can hold a converstation about non-geek stuff as easily as I can anime, Star Wars, D & D, or the aforementioned Legos, etc., etc... and my last first date didn't lead to a second. I don't even want to say what the time lapse between dates was for that one and the one previous. I'll stop here before I stray too far from the topic and turn this into a threadjack. I think I've made my point.

It's not easy to date. It is tiring and stressful. I believe it is the natural order of things to pair up, and when it gets difficult, it's easy to think there's something wrong with you. The thing to remember is that unless someone has something genuinely wrong (I'm talking extremes of behavior, or something truly icky like hygiene problems), it isn't you, or them. And I'm sure it isn't you. It's the dynamic, the chemistry, between people, and that's not something that can be controlled or forced.

At least that's what I tell myself. Accepting it makes life a lot easier.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArcticBlue
Mini Geek
Member # 4034

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 14:47      Profile for ArcticBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read some of your blog and I also have to concur that you are an excellent writer. However, I'm somewhat confused. It sounds like you are hitting it off with the "Lady in Red". So why are you looking still? Just trying to make sure you are not missing anyone?
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 16:29      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
I realize this was the first post in the thread and that there have been countless posts since then, but I'd like to respond anyway.

quote:

Anyway, I'm so mentally exhausted from meeting and failing to impress all these new people, I don't know what to do with myself. As soon as I decide that I'm tired of constant rejection, I still go meet someone new, and start the painful painful cycle again.

Anyone feel me?

What I noticed was that no one so far has said this is a completely normal reaction. I "feel" you. I go through the same thing.

I like to think I'm reasonably attractive (several members here have met me, so at least they can attest that I'm not hideous). I am smart, hold a Master's Degree (almost a PhD), am a great Mom who knows how to separate that from the rest of her life, am about to publish my first book and pitching two more, can hold a converstation about non-geek stuff as easily as I can anime, Star Wars, D & D, or the aforementioned Legos, etc., etc... and my last first date didn't lead to a second. I don't even want to say what the time lapse between dates was for that one and the one previous. I'll stop here before I stray too far from the topic and turn this into a threadjack. I think I've made my point.

It's not easy to date. It is tiring and stressful. I believe it is the natural order of things to pair up, and when it gets difficult, it's easy to think there's something wrong with you. The thing to remember is that unless someone has something genuinely wrong (I'm talking extremes of behavior, or something truly icky like hygiene problems), it isn't you, or them. And I'm sure it isn't you. It's the dynamic, the chemistry, between people, and that's not something that can be controlled or forced.

At least that's what I tell myself. Accepting it makes life a lot easier.

Good lord, you're like a Geek-MILF.

Consider that a compliment [Smile]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 16:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey_girl is *HOT*. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Beauty *and* brains!

_swoon_

(Alas, in the interest of being polite, it's just love that'll have to stay unrequited. [Wink] Seriously, she's a fine lass, though. [Smile] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 16:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's a sweety too. All the best to you GG. You deserve it.

--------------------

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 20:33      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Right now if you like. Now where did I put my bone saw?

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 00:17      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll see how things go with the Woman in Red.
She scheduled this weekend for down time, so no date, but she hasn't broken off communication yet, so it's possible she's still interested.

This is the way things seem to work...
When a woman isn't interested in you, she stops talking to you. Eventually you get the picture.

I find this indirect approach to rejection a little insulting.

I had to go out on a limb to ask you out in the first place. That's not Easy. I'd like to know that you Respect me enough to tell me to my face that things won't work out, even if the reason is "other."

So It's been a few days since I'd heard from the Woman in Red, so I don't know where I stand, if she is trying to break contact and I haven't realized it yet, or if she just has nothing to say to me.

Honestly, she hasn't given me a reason to think she's trying to slip away quietly, but it's happened so often that I'm cautiously aware.

I am a direct and open communicator...
I don't like needing to infer and translate signals. Anything that needs to be inferred or translated can be mistranslated. Clear Concise Language works much better to express a specific idea (for me).

Of course everyone has their preferred method of communication, but I know what my strengths and weaknesses are.

Of course the weird thing crossing my mind is that if I do get to go out with the Woman in Red Again, I may finally get the opportunity to decide myself that a person isn't right for me.
I don't put much stock in first impressions, which means that I will seldom choose to ditch someone after a crappy first date. Give it some time, get to know her.
Well I'm just playing it by ear. If things work out, they'll work out.

But then what would I write about?

I'm a worrier.

--------------------
[H]ard since '99

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 03:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But then what would I write about?

I'm a worrier.

In my last post I was going to suggest you widen the subject matter of your blog, or start another one for your thoughts on other matters, but I felt it would be too presumptuous of me. However it would be a great shame if you stop writing when this particular personal journey ends.

--------------------

Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 09:37      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the same way.
I mean, I won't stop writing. It's one of my favorite things to do. But the Blog is a format that is very accessible.

The page is themed, so I cannot broaden my scope right now, but I seem to have plenty to say on the topic.

I'm getting off tipic, so I will start a new thread.

--------------------
[H]ard since '99

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 23:17      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course the weird thing crossing my mind is that if I do get to go out with the Woman in Red Again, I may finally get the opportunity to decide myself that a person isn't right for me.
I don't put much stock in first impressions, which means that I will seldom choose to ditch someone after a crappy first date. Give it some time, get to know her.

Now explain again what's up with the chick from the game shop and why you can't go out with her? I mean the Woman in Red sounds nice enough, but what was it you had in common with her besides dancing?

You've become my own personal soap opera. I'm going to have to send the link to all my sisters so we can call each other at 3 AM and say "OMG! Did you see did you see the latest spam post... she turned out to be a pre-op transexual! Just go read it!"

--------------------

Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 23:31      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Gazer was Named because of her passion for the White Wolf "Werewolf" Game. I looked through my player's guide, ang picked the Clan that I thought best suited her.

It was just bad timing. That night that I had intended to ask her out, I was just not feeling attractive. You need to feel cool to find the confidence to ask a girl out. That Night I didn't.
I could tell she was a bit older than me, and that was sort of intimidating.
Well, WiR is Quite a bit my senior, and I have since realized that if she don't have a problem with it, I find it very attractive when a person has ther ducks in a row...
So the age thing wouldn't bother me now.

I went back to the game store TODAY as a matter of fact, on my way to a Mad Tea Party (Invited by Octave, since you seem to be up to date on my dealings). Star Gazer works Tuesdays and Saturdays.

She was not in, and never again shall she be.

As of Last week, she stopped working at the store.
I said to the new guy "Where's the girl who used to work Saturdays?"
"Oh. She left."
"Nuts. I was going to ask her out, but I never got around to it."
"I could give you her phone number..."
he said.

Now, I don't really want to call her... that's sort of invasive, and I'm pretty sure it's against any company policy to give out employee information. So I gave him my email address, and told him to either email me her email, or give my email to her, that way she can choose whether she wants me to have her contact info.

I think she'll remember me, we talked wuite a bit, but I was just another customer.

So we'll see how that goes. I'm sort of seeing how things go with the Woman in Red Right now, but I anticipate disaster.
The answer to the Zombie question is Pending.

--------------------
[H]ard since '99

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 21:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
You've become my own personal soap opera. I'm going to have to send the link to all my sisters so we can call each other at 3 AM and say "OMG! Did you see did you see the latest spam post... she turned out to be a pre-op transexual! Just go read it!"

I'm so jealous of his writing talent, having tried to write a blog along vaguely similar lines...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 20:00      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam:So we'll see how that goes. I'm sort of seeing how things go with the Woman in Red Right now, but I anticipate disaster.
The answer to the Zombie question is Pending. [/QB]

I know. I'm up to that... grrr. Email her again and tell her the whole freaking Internet is waiting for her to answer.

Or... uh... maybe that's not such a good idea.

--------------------

Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 20:20      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since you mentioned it...
I got an answer to the Zombie Question today. She put her best foot forward, which is definitely a plus.

If Zombies attacked, The Woman in Red Would Try to save her Loved Ones, then escape to a deserted island.

Definitely not a terrible answer, but I do Logistics for Disaster Response, and I'm afraid that there are several hurdles she still has to get over.
How would she save her friends?
Which ones would she choose. Time is limited.
Where would you find a boat.
How would you pilot it to the island?

We are currently in negotiations for a second date. I should find out in an hour or so.
I'm shoting for inline skating at a roller rink, closer to her than me, and some Delicious Meaty Fast Food.

I asked her for more details on her survival and evacuation plan.
I will update my site accordingly.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 20:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
quote:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!! You did eHarmony, too? That's how I met my current boyfriend.

Is that Mr. Mover? I thought he was really judgemental and you ditched him?
Actually, he's turning out to be much more of a softy than I would've guessed the first time 'round.

Most of the juicy details here. Or I s'pose you could ask Tom-Geek and DNM to reiterate on IRC. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture