homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Love at first site ;) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Love at first site ;)
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 18:38      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

I met this girl the other day, over at my college. I was in my intro Java Programming class, and we started talking. So we chatted about Linux, and Red Hat, and SUSE, and college. We seemed to hit it off pretty well.

I was wondering how should I approach her to ask her out. She's a die-hard gamer, she has the same cable internet connection as me, and lives close to me.

How should I approach this? She couldn't SSH into her friends' computer from her residental cable connection. I did a bit of Googling and found a solution she might be able to try. Should I just print it out and hand it to her, as a topic starter.

She seemed a bit snappy lately, and I don't know what to make of it.

Anyone have any ideas.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 19:27      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:

How should I approach this? She couldn't SSH into her friends' computer from her residental cable connection. I did a bit of Googling and found a solution she might be able to try. Should I just print it out and hand it to her, as a topic starter.

Definitely not! She sounds intelligent enough to google around, but offering to come over and troubleshoot a bit might work. [Wink]

But, I reiterate, handing her a piece of paper with a possible solution doesn't sound like a good idea.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 19:41      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you could suggest to her that the two of you get together over lunch to work on an assignment, and go from there.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 20:07      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How should I approach this?<snip>She seemed a bit snappy lately, and I don't know what to make of it.

Anyone have any ideas.

I would try going up to her and saying, "I noticed you've seemed upset/distracted/stressed lately. Is there anything I can do? I'd like to take you out for some coffee/lunch/bowling to help you unwind."

Couldn't hurt anyway.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 20:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go into Firefox's page prefs and turn off the date/time footer. [Wink]

"I was cleaning my desk the other day, and found this great HOWTO on SSH stuff - I thought it might be applicable. If not, feel free to recycle it."

/me really has been cleaning off his desk lately - found a great doc [from over a year ago] about setting up sshd on OpenBSD. [Big Grin] (I recycled it, and bookmarked it in Google Search History.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spam
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 00:32      Profile for Spam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been a fan of the direct approach. Tell her what you want right off the bat. "Hey. You're impossibly cool. Would you like to go out for Pizza on Friday? My Treat."

If she has too much pride, she may not WANT your help with her SSH (or what ever it is you kids are doing these days) But Everyone wants Pizza.

even women.

Even cold hearted bitter women who have long since given up the dream of happiness, but still live on, day to day cursed with the worst of all pandora's plagues: Hope.

Even they like pizza.

--------------------
[H]ard since '99
www.heroseekingvigilante.blogspot.com

Posts: 48 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 02:59      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam:
Even cold hearted bitter women who have long since given up the dream of happiness, but still live on, day to day cursed with the worst of all pandora's plagues: Hope.

Even they like pizza.

Dude. Extra cheese with artichoke hearts. I'm so there.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 06:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...I suppose that explains away that one time in San Francisco... [Wink] [Razz]

BTW, I just noticed something: "Love at first site" [sic]
That could actually be a very amusing joke, at least to a networking fellow like me, but somehow I'm thinking that wasn't deliberate. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 07:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude. She won't be interested. Didn't you get the hint?

She was unsuccessfully trying to 'ssh' into her 'other friends box'.

Move on, man. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 14:18      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Hmm...I suppose that explains away that one time in San Francisco... [Wink] [Razz]

BTW, I just noticed something: "Love at first site" [sic]
That could actually be a very amusing joke, at least to a networking fellow like me, but somehow I'm thinking that wasn't deliberate. [Razz]

Yes it was [Wink] . She just asked me about dual booting Mac OS 9 with OS X last night, and I Googled the fucking hell out of it.

Got some good articles too :0)

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 14:20      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Move on, man. [Wink]

The other 'friend' was on the same ISP as me [Wink] . You never know ;o)
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 15:09      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Move on, man. [Wink]

Initially I thought this joke encountered a penis 404 error, but now I am thinking that this was a really bizarre reference to female homosexual activity. It amused me. Thrice.

P.S: i'm loving the awesome thread title.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 15:55      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Move on, man. [Wink]

Someone's been spending too much time on bash.org [Smile]
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
gordita crunch
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 04:23      Profile for gordita crunch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy her a gordita, and next time when you're in class, ask her if she'd like one.

Chicks love gorditas. [crazy]

NULL
Newbie Larva
Member # 3802

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 11:05      Profile for NULL         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey.

she *likes* you. that's clear. you might not catch her staring at you across class - but she does, us girls are just more sly. don't deny it "she's too good to be true" because wishes do come true.

stop fretting but act. she's wishing that you do. see you on the other side!

let her catch you staring (though she probably has already), and try to be sweet and thoughtful - remember something she told you she likes just once, really obscurely, and surprise her with that. engineer a special moment alone and HAVE CONFIDENCE!!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 13:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...well, Smokeblue reminded this post of mine from last year.
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000212;p=1#000008

So, I finally broke down and tried to follow my own advice, and sort of lost. *sigh* Well, it was kind of open-ended, so maybe there's still a chance.

Back to fighting Windows with a vengeance!

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 19:39      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gordita crunch:
Buy her a gordita, and next time when you're in class, ask her if she'd like one.

She used to work at Taco Bell... bad idea.
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 19:44      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

We talked on GMail with a 500 line chat. She's an IT Manager for a school, and she works 12 hr days. So she has very little free time.
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2006 19:48      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

We talked on GMail with a 500 line chat. She's an IT Manager for a school, and she works 12 hr days. So she has very little free time.
Today we had a test, and me and her were the only 2 people left in the class at the end of the test, we were sitting next to each other. She's a Libra, and so is the teacher.

She came up to me before the test, and we chatted about the Java class we have together she brought up the topic about the professor not posting the grades on Blackboard.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 06:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude...maybe I'm just being overly cynical, but e-mail/Internet culture frowns on replying to yourself. [Smile]

(Just do it in separate posts, mmkay?)

--------------------

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 18:42      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of South Park [Wink]

Well I asked that girl if she would want to work with me on the Java group project we have to do together, she said yeah sure, so that's a good sign.

We have to code a project due on Match 28th. This will be fun.

I am just taking things in stride, at this point she seems to have a full plate at the moemnt.

Working 12 hr shifts can do that to you.

I just have to play it cool.

[hyperventilate]
Brings out the paper bag
[/hyperventilate]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 21:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you actually say something, dude. [Smile] Something /not/ related to class. Go out for dinner or coffee afterwards.

Otherwise, been there, done that, been snubbed...and having gotten to know her better...actually glad.

Seeing someone around and an exchange of pleasantries does not a proper friendship/relationship make. Signs can be seen where none exist. I think I recently made such a mistake, and have pretty much given up any hope for it. Oh well.

But let me not be too cynical - have fun studying... far better to do so with good company at any rate. [Smile] Just take a break every now and again... for all sorts of good. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 06:18      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, I reckon you are spot on.

Pick a Friday night and ask her if she wants to come over for a meal.

Some people respond better to a relaxed atmosphere rather than trying to find time to have to go home, dress up, find restaurant, eat etc.

Be a friend first and try and help her with managing her frenzied life. Romance can always come later.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 07:16      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
edit: uhm...

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2006 16:18      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think things have cooled down between us. It's kinda weird now. I don't know what to do.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture