homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Thank you, GC! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Thank you, GC!
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 14:48      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, if I wanted a self-confidence/self-image boost, you guys are certainly the best. I just wanted to thank each and every one of you who backed me up in those two threads-that-shall-not-be-named. I can't even count how many of you stood up for me or "got my back" on the perspective and advice that I shared. That just really made my day. [Big Grin]

GC is definitely a tight-knit community, which demonstrates its love and support of valued members. I wish everyone had a network like this! You're certainly a blessing to me!

Thank you! [Applause]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 15:12      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn

Is this a new GC phrase that has been coined??
quote:
The two threads that shall not be named
I like the sound of it myself. Anyway, regarding the two threads that shall not be named, you and Stereo tried harder than most, and we all tried damned hard [Smile]

Take Care, Grummash

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 15:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh duh! I just realized the literary implications behind that. Oy. And to think I consider myself a quick learner. [Razz]

In all seriousness, I figured I'd make sure my post wasn't searchable. Didn't want to attract more bot-like trolls. [Razz]

--------------------

Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 08, 2005 15:55      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Rhonnie!

I am happy that you found backup when you need it. Even though I am not on GC long enough to be one of these people who helped you most. I would have loved to help you though. My girlfriend used to have a low self-esteem herself because her parents and family treated her like sh1t. It's not a pretty sight....

Anyways - you are right. GC-boosts one's self-esteem.
I am glad that you got your boost!

I'd like to propose a toast:
"To many more boosts!"

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 08, 2005 16:27      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
I'd like to propose a toast:
"To many more boosts!"

[thumbsup] (my glass is hidden, but the hand holding it is not)
Tchin! (Oops, am I racist? [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 16:37      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also like to thank GC, you guys have been great to me

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 17:02      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me like our latest troll has brought us all closer than ever before. [Wink] (Well, ever before in my short history here)

Maybe he/she wasn't as thoughtless as he/she seemed? Maybe they're browsing this site as we type, and looking at these posts with the satisfaction of a job well done.

OTOH, based on the e-mails sent to Snaggy, maybe not. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 17:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers!
Salud!
A votre sante!
飲勝
乾杯
만세 ?? 안녕 [Chukbae]

BTW, Xanthine: Thanks. [Smile] I really didn't see that as much of an attack, but thank you anyway. What can I say - I wasn't mortally wounded. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 17:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E-mails sent to Snaggy? Is there something you guys covered on IRC in the past 24 hours? I wondered what had happened to get him to close those two threads. What's stopping that person from starting others?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 18:57      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Is there something you guys covered on IRC in the past 24 hours?

*whistles innocently*

I'm actually rather disappointed the threads were locked, and looking for the reply button. Guess I could send a PM instead [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 19:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it's times like these that I'm irked my cable modem isn't here yet. I want to get my Pismo online and lurking on IRC!!!

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 08, 2005 23:20      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn, I've been around for several months now, and I still stick by my comment in my introduction:
quote:
this is definitely one of the best forums I've seen.
Although I think I'm going to update that to "this is the best forum I've seen."

You people are OK in my book. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 23:34      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
You people are OK in my book. [Wink]

Seconded. This forum overall attracts the best people on the net I've encountered, bar none. Y'all give yourself a pat on the back, now [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 08, 2005 23:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhon, troll has been placed into a moderation queue, which means I must re-activate its account before it can post again... not a likely event.

Glad to hear that this didn't get you down for long... the folks here are really a fine bunch. [Happytears]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 00:32      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, these people definitely are the best on the net.

Glad to know that I've been here for over 2 years now.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 05:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So would someone mind filling me in on wtf you're all talking about? [Big Grin]

[edit: nevermind. I found the threads and read.. now I understand.

You're all my heros. [Big Grin]
(or is it heroes?.. either way.)]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 06:09      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's about that person posing as a 30 year old virgin asian girl. Judging by the posts I would halve the age at least, I am 95% certain that it was not asian, and its gender is uncertain too. It did manage to wind a lot of people up though, so good marks for trolling.

Otherwise we are agreeing what a simply marvellous bunch of people we all are, wise kind and generous to a fault. And who am I to disagree? [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 06:31      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Calli,

We're all lovely, lovely people, super in fact...

And Calli is a nice man, a very nice man, a very very nice man....
(from an old UK Automobile Association TV ad for those of you who won't understand what the.... that reference is about..

Three cheers for the wonderful denizens of GC!

Hip hip.....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 07:22      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Hooray!!!

I <3 you guys...

[hearts]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 07:44      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa! With this new job it's been really difficult for me to keep up with this board, but this thread intrigued me. I read the back posts by "she/he/it" who must not be named just to catch up. It was eerily reminiscent of Lumina Manson (even though I wasn't around for that either, I read those posts as well).

I'm glad that you all supported each other in this situation, hopefully that's the end of that. WTG everyone! [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 07:47      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
Whoa! With this new job it's been really difficult for me to keep up with this board, but this thread intrigued me.

So what's the problem? Quit the job, BW. Where are your priorities, lady? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 08:23      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
Whoa! With this new job it's been really difficult for me to keep up with this board, but this thread intrigued me.

So what's the problem? Quit the job, BW. Where are your priorities, lady? [Big Grin]
I wish! The fiance's job just doesn't cover the bills yet! Someday hopefully! [Razz]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 09:04      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, guys, I go away for a couple weeks and look what happens.

Rhonnie, and all the others who were trying to help and got bashed for it:
You have proven that this is indeed a great place. You all tried to help and had patience far beyond what I would have had. I'm glad to be a part of this community.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Darren Duncan
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 22:20      Profile for Darren Duncan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn, you have my support every day of the week.

Even though I don't participate in these forums much (I mainly hang out in the Perl developer forums).

Looking back at recent closed threads, I can see what you were referring to. That person who started the thread bemoaning their lack of a relationship was a troll; not initially obvious, but obvious by page 2; its nice to see that the other participants realized this.

I, for one, thank you for trying to help that person, even if they didn't recognize that.

Posts: 27 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2005 22:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true what they say about communities. Crisis either makes or breaks 'em. For us (and our oh-so-mini-can't-really-qualify-as-a-crisis event), we pulled together. It's just amazing to see that happen and to be part of that happening. [Big Grin]

Have a great weekend everyone!

(Chicken teriyaki and potluck at my new home tonight. Y'all are invited. [Wink] )

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture