homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Are there really any gamer/geek girls? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Are there really any gamer/geek girls?
JDDAY
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3763

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted March 29, 2005 14:00      Profile for JDDAY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this perchance have anything to do with that spurious and fiendish arguement that women have a lower propensity to math and science in the university? In my experience women gamers and RPGers at least add so much to the experience of gaming as to be incaluable and I only wish there was more ways to introduce more girls to gaming at an earlier age.

--------------------
The Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side:
"The Curse Is Come Upon Me," Cried
The Lady of Shalott.
L. McKennitt(Tennyson)

Posts: 3 | From: Prescott, AZ. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
KatherineRose
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3797

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 19:58      Profile for KatherineRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I play Half Life and Counterstrike and occasionally Mume and all of that, but guys like most of you never really believe it because I don't look the part - more girls play that stuff than you think, it's just that not all of us look that obvious.
To sway off subject a bit, that poses another problem...I'm really only interested in sort of geeky guys, but those of you looking for the same in a girl always assume I'm some blonde bimbo because I used to do cheer (hated the girls but it kept me in shape) and tennis and don't make a point of explaining to everyone that I am in fact not an idiot.
What is it gonna take? I mean, should I geek myself up?

Posts: 2 | From: Bloomington | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2005 21:46      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KatherineRose:
To sway off subject a bit, that poses another problem...I'm really only interested in sort of geeky guys, but those of you looking for the same in a girl always assume I'm some blonde bimbo because I used to do cheer (hated the girls but it kept me in shape) and tennis and don't make a point of explaining to everyone that I am in fact not an idiot.
What is it gonna take? I mean, should I geek myself up?

Hmm, if anyone thinks that tennis players are bimbos, they've got another think coming. All of the girls I've known who've played tennis have been very intelligent individuals. And that's coming from playing in a number of comps.

Haven't had any experiences with cheerleaders, sorry [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
millamushi
Geek Larva
Member # 3818

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 08, 2005 13:39      Profile for millamushi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course we exist, all be it in lesser numbers. I play alot of MMO's, and also come XBox live. But I made the mistake of buying a headset. The guys can't belive girls play so they call me 'trannie', I guess they think girls don't have opposable thumbs so they can't play, or we are so far in the minority we must not exist. But were out here... not that I have met any other than my self, ehh...
Posts: 21 | From: Pensacola Bch, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 14:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by millamushi:
I guess they think girls don't have opposable thumbs so they can't play, or we are so far in the minority we must not exist. But were out here... not that I have met any other than my self, ehh...

Of course womens have opposable thumbs. How else can they hold the cooking utensils? [Big Grin]

/runs out dodging heavy objects.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 14:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slightly related question/statement: My mom was making phonecalls on Wednesday and all of a sudden looked up and asked, 'How'd we learn to dial with our thumbs?'

I explained that it's 'cause we cradle the phone in our hand, leaving only our thumb to dial. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SassyGeek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3218

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 18:23      Profile for SassyGeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you can't find a gamer geek girl, i would recommend looking for a "geek groupie". that's what i was when I was 16. I was more into drama myself, but i really feel hard for guys who were into computers and D&D and really smart. maybe some of those band or drama girlies are dying for a nerdling to teach her what RAM means. You have to start somewhere!

I still consider myself a geek groupie. I LOVE to talk to guys who are into programming or hardware about what they do, but I don't like to do it myself. I'm a technical writer, so I enjoy learning about something, but not putting it to practical use. [Smile]

Posts: 30 | From: right behind you! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 19:30      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Slightly related question/statement: My mom was making phonecalls on Wednesday and all of a sudden looked up and asked, 'How'd we learn to dial with our thumbs?'

I explained that it's 'cause we cradle the phone in our hand, leaving only our thumb to dial. Any thoughts?

-

I've got one. "Why the hell do we all refer to it as 'dialing', when what we are actually doing is pushing buttons? I haven't even seen a working rotary dial phone in about 20 years."

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 19:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As recently as seven years ago my grandmother still had a rotary phone and a party line to their farm.

"Dialing" is probably used 'cause it's shorter and easier to say than "pushing the numbered buttons on the phone." [Wink]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 19:45      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote Ellen Degeneres(sp?)

"Why do we still use the arm rolling motion to mean roll down your window?"

Like all things these motions are engrained into the common psyche. We dial phones. We roll down our windows. And we make the twisting motion with our hand to say turn up or turn down the radio.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 19:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! My Sony boombox (do they still call them that?) from about five years ago has a volume dial. Maybe more recent ones don't?

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 19:58      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
As recently as seven years ago my grandmother still had a rotary phone and a party line to their farm.

"Dialing" is probably used 'cause it's shorter and easier to say than "pushing the numbered buttons on the phone." [Wink]

"Keying" or "keypadding".

-

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2005 08:22      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
I haven't even seen a working rotary dial phone in about 20 years.

I have one of the old hardwired ones in my bedroom, converted to connect to a modular jack. Has a ring that would wake the dead too, at one point I had a modem at work set to call me. It would ring the phone and wake me up. I've found I can sleep through pretty much any alarm clock, but never that phone. If I'm feeling ambitious, maybe I will take a picture.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
grrlgeek74
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3846

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted April 14, 2005 20:15      Profile for grrlgeek74     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard for me to see why people find it so unbelievable to think girl geeks actually exist. I'm a) a girl, b)a gamer, c) a coder, and d) live my life on my computer...and couldn't imagine being any other way.

Oh...but I don't wear glasses.

Go figure. [Smile]

Posts: 1 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2005 21:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...it's not been that long since I've used a rotary phone. I /may/ have one somewhere at work - or else I have one or two laying about here somewhere. I first used rotary phones when I was a kid - I think I'm almost better with them than touch tone desk phones. For awhile, I had a nice simple touch tone, analog desk phone - the tactile response was pretty good, at that. There was only one downside to it - lack of speakerphone...which really bites when you're on hold with tech. support. Right now I have a relatively nice Nortel phone, but I absolutely suck at dialing numbers on the thing. I don't think my index finger is meant to be used to input numbers at nearly arm's reach - my thumb is much better at this on my cell phone. Oh, and dialing with the phone in my other hand and/or cradled - fuggedaboutit...I've found that I stand the best chance of getting it right if I start on speakerphone, dial the number, and then pick up. Yes, I'm pitiful. At least I had my wits about me to call up a company, and tell them to stop spamming me. [Big Grin] The hell with unsubscribe links - having them pay for my 800 call to them, and employing a human to respond to me is the way to go. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucidallusion
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2005 03:48      Profile for Lucidallusion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a geeky gamer girl who wears glasses, sometimes contacts, and my geeky boyfriend says I'm the hottest girlfriend he's ever had (so he says haha). I think it's pretty cool to play games with him, though if we didn't, that would be cool too. I hate shopping.
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2005 08:13      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes. The rotary phone. It probably saved me from the hellish cycle of (bo deen wah chuk) "making telephone porridge" as we Chinese like to call it from when I was younger and turning into an annoying preppy teen. That was because I had no idea how the dailing system worked... do you spin the wheel as far as possible? Do you put your finger into the number before the one you want? Do you wait for it to fully reset to its original orientation.

Ahhh, now buttons makes the world go round [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2005 15:03      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote we make a GC FAQ, or at least make some thread such as this sticky. I have seen something along these lines sooo many times...

Most of us have met a geek girl. You just have to know where to look. You'll stumble across them in everyday life, yeah; at the pub, etc. but you'll meet more in your compsci class at Uni.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2005 17:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SilverBlade:
That was because I had no idea how the dailing system worked... do you spin the wheel as far as possible? Do you put your finger into the number before the one you want? Do you wait for it to fully reset to its original orientation.

Really, it's not terribly difficult. Hold a closed pen between your fingers, put in hole of number, slam it to the right until it stops, and let go. Rinse and repeat. [Smile]
(Using a pen is more comfortable than finger, at least if you're making a number of calls.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2005 20:27      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Really, it's not terribly difficult. Hold a closed pen between your fingers, put in hole of number, slam it to the right until it stops, and let go. Rinse and repeat. [Smile]
(Using a pen is more comfortable than finger, at least if you're making a number of calls.)
[/QUOTE]

As I said before dragonman97, that was when I was YOUNG(er) [Razz] I can operate a dial phone perfectly fine, thank you.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2005 20:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Silverblade. :-/

I think I was probably using a rotary phone by or before age 8, though. [Wink] /me grew up with some fun tech toys and background. [Razz]

--------------------

SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2005 03:34      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No no dman, its okay. [Razz] I was being hearty when I said that!

I was always stuck to the computer, even at a very young age. My family was an Apple user even then!

A picture of the mac we had.

I remember playing Alleyway, and all it was was a blue screen with some coloured blocks, a black ball and a platform thing. I was quite good at it, actually [Razz] Then my sister put a train ticket into the zip drive and messed it up hehe. But ah, good times, good times. [Razz]

--------------------

cyber_junkie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 03:34      Profile for cyber_junkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i know this gamer/geek girl who plays CS at the local hub. Shes 15 and hot [Big Grin]

--------------------
"My crime is that of curiosity." -Mentor

Posts: 42 | From: India | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
priscilch
Mini Geek
Member # 2727

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 11:37      Profile for priscilch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a geek girl in the LA area and I was hoping if you guys could point me in the right direction to finding more smart cool geeks in the general vicinity.

I'm in my 20s and looking for other geeks in the same age range. Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 53 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
countessofmc
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4050

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 17:04      Profile for countessofmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 15 (turning 16 in august) and I consider myself to be a gamer girl. I don't play as much as I used to though, because school is too demanding...I don't owe my ps2 term papers...

That doesn't mean I've lost it though! I'm addicted to fighting games like Tekken, Soul Calibur, Smash Brothers, etc and I can definitely take down my cousin and all his (really) dorky gamer friends. I also lurve RPGs, but it's getting harder to find good ones...

just look harder for us!!

--------------------
-Anne-

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture