homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Valentine's Day!? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Valentine's Day!?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 16:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you don't have a sweetheart, you can make this year's Valentine's Day the best one yet. Here's how.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 16:15      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be in a drafting competition for VICA in Mooresville. So basically I get to get out of school and travel to distnat lands to have a 4 hour 3rd period (drafting is during 3rd).

Who knows, maybe I'll meet a good geek girl there.

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 16:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
...picture (not my GF)...

Good thing. I'd hate to be thinking naughty thoughts about your girlfriend when I touch myself. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 16:37      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Ronwhyyn but that don't load for me, stalls at about 80%...

Have a good one anyway

L0\/3 70 u /.\ll (see elsewhere for relevance of this...)

For all of you who are like myself and prefer *proper* English like wot it is meant to be writ...

Love to you all and enjoy Valentines whether single, paired, hopeful or (if lonely - remember: it SUK & there all GAY (sic))

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 17:13      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, for some reason that Boundless.org page is loading slowly tonight. I've gotten all of the pages that I've wanted to load, so maybe if you just go to the homepage and access the article from there? (It's in the Beyond Buddies column and authored by Candice Watters.)

Per your question in the other thread, Serenak, and since it seems to fit in here, I'll update you and everyone else on my life so far:

*deep breath*

I'm still working at Clipper as a proofreader but I've started to consider looking elsewhere either within the company or in the world for a different (less stressful) position. Having weekly deadlines just doesn't make for a pleasant workplace (especially when the guy in charge of everything is power-hungry).

I'm still meeting with my counselor every two weeks. Today's session discussed my problems interacting with men and resulted in my counselor asking me to make a record of everything I've been taught about men and sex. She's concerned that I may have been abused at some point in the past. I remember most of the verbal/emotional abuse, but I don't remember anything other than severe spankings.

On Tuesday I joined Universal Athletic Club to start working out. The elliptical machine seemed rather fun when I tried it under my fitness coach's guidance on Wednesday. They have a beautiful pool so I'm going to use that after working out on the machines. I go again tomorrow.

Tomorrow evening (Saturday morning) after work I'm picking up a male friend/co-worker-type (not from Clipper) and we're going out for breakfast. I'm oddly attracted to him (I say odd because he's at least 10 years older than I am, he's not a Christian, he's lived with a woman for a few years, he's a health freak, and in his words, a "frustrated activist") so I probably shouldn't go with him, but afterward I'm taking him and two other people to the airport.

Other than that... my mother's depressed again, so that concerns me. Also, I've been e-mailing regularly with a man I met through eHarmony. He lives in Delaware (less than two hours away) and we've been talking about calling each other or meeting. We'll see what happens. I'm always a bit nervous when I meet people in person for fear they won't like me.

OH!! J. Jackson, lead singer of ApologetiX signed all of the mini CDs that I made for my Children's Church students! The children are really excited to get the CDs and I'm excited to give the CDs to them the next time we have Children's Church.

In lieu of Valentine's Day, nine of us ladies/girls/women from my Sunday School class are going to have Afternoon Tea at Sugar Plums and Teas on Saturday. I've organized the event, so I hope everyone has fun. We did invite the guys, but none of them volunteered to come. [Razz]

So that's pretty much what's new with me. I hope y'all are doing well!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lexi
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 2713

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 19:34      Profile for Lexi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah...i get to spend my valentine's day in class. Writing Poetry workshop meets monday evenings, so we get to sit around reading poetry to each other even though we barely know each other's names.

can't beat last year, though. a friend took it upon himself to "culture" me, so i spent valentine's day watching Boondock Saints and SLC Punk. excellent movies, but not great pics for the most romantic holiday of the year. i now associate valentine's day with blue hair and big guns.

--------------------
"Bill, you're gonna have to come up with a better pickup line because asking her her SAT score is NOT going to do it!"

Posts: 3 | From: my laptop may be in texas but my heart's in boston | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 19:59      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have roses delivered to my wife's work every year on Valentine's (or the most proximate day). Right around now is when I start worrying that they won't arrive (I order them more than a month in advance). So we'll see. We're pretty mellow about Valentine's, but we'll likely do a dinner and then the naked pretzel. Nothing big.

I'm still recovering from a previous S.O. who was PSYCHO about Valentine's. If something REALLY special didn't happen ON THAT DAY then something was REALLY REALLY WRONG with the world (viz., me). The few Valentine's we had together were spent being screamed at about my insensitivity issues. I used to buy her roses too, and also made reservations to French restaurants and everything. I never did please her. History.

But all is well now. It was only up from there, and up and up and up I went. Whoooooooooooooo!!! These days I actually enjoy Valentine's (though it is in some ways a cheap commercial holiday). At least, if the bouquet shows up.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 07:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
the naked pretzel. Nothing big.

<wwcvd>
Is that what she said?
</wwcvd>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 13:35      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow afternoon and spending a long weekend with my girlfriend. We don't have anything much planned, just hanging out together. I ordered her some new pyjamas picture (not my GF) should I give them tomorrow or wait until Monday?

Ummm.... Damn, I'd love to order a pair of them for my 'special lady' [blush] [thumbsup] [evil]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 13:46      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
quote:
I'm flying back to the UK tomorrow afternoon and spending a long weekend with my girlfriend. We don't have anything much planned, just hanging out together. I ordered her some new pyjamas picture (not my GF) should I give them tomorrow or wait until Monday?

Ummm.... Damn, I'd love to order a pair of them for my 'special lady' [blush] [thumbsup] [evil]
I don't think they would fit your hand [Razz]

/try the veal, tip waitresses, here all week

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 15:41      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n,

You are a gem... that one was a classic...

[thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2005 16:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye, Cap'n! Ya are indeed a treasure. My regards to Mrs. Palm and 'er 5 daughters... Arrrrrgh [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
HikerCA
Newbie Larva
Member # 3277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 08:01      Profile for HikerCA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every day is Valentine's Day at the hiker household [shake head] As for myself, nothin' says lovin' like a something from Archie McPhee, this year's choice being:

http://www.mcphee.com/lifestyle/current/11450.html

Along with her favorites from LUSH and washing her car that'll about do it. We usually make something nice for a stay at home supper.

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 08:13      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HikerCA:
Every day is Valentine's Day at the hiker household [shake head] As for myself, nothin' says lovin' like a something from Archie McPhee, this year's choice being:

http://www.mcphee.com/lifestyle/current/11450.html

And I could have used one of those this year! [Smile]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 09:55      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The goth club I go to on Monday nights is having a "Blood & Guts" theme night, so I'll spend the day mixing up Karo syrup and food coloring into fake blood and getting gored out.

Appropriate for Lupercalia. [Razz]

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2005 11:53      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lupercalia? Is this one of those Lupercalia:Valentine's::Saturnalia:Christmas things?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 01:41      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Lupercalia? Is this one of those Lupercalia:Valentine's::Saturnalia:Christmas things?

Pretty much. I was kind of hoping some other classics nerd would get the joke, though. To quote Everything2.com's writeup of Lupercalia, though:

"During Lupercalia, young women hoping to become pregnant would arrange themselves at the top of the main road of the city of Rome. Crowds of citizens armed with freshly cut strips of wolf hide would line themselves on the sides of the street. The women would then race along the avenue as citizens whipped them with the bloody hide, hopefuly painting stripes of ichor across the women. The bloodier the young woman became, the more likely she would become pregnant by the next Lupercalia."

Them crazy Italians. [Big Grin]

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 02:17      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you wanting to see Window Theory... Trailer three is up at windowtheory.com... looks like they pushed back to Feb 25th... Sorry folks. My cameo is not confirmed, but anyone who sees the movie, look for me at a party in a blue shirt, likely munching on tostitos.

note.. if you do a scene where eat in a movie. DON'T. You have to repeat this a million times for different angles. Youll be too full later on. Watch real actors and you see they never actually eat.

As for V-day.. I'll wear black.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 02:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
[qb] Lupercalia? Is this one of those Lupercalia:Valentine's::Saturnalia:Christmas things?

Pretty much. I was kind of hoping some other classics nerd would get the joke, though. To quote Everything2.com's writeup of Lupercalia, though:

"During Lupercalia, young women hoping to become pregnant would arrange themselves at the top of the main road of the city of Rome. Crowds of citizens armed with freshly cut strips of wolf hide would line themselves on the sides of the street. The women would then race along the avenue as citizens whipped them with the bloody hide, hopefuly painting stripes of ichor across the women. The bloodier the young woman became, the more likely she would become pregnant by the next Lupercalia."
/QB]

Wouldn't it be easier (and more fun) to just fsck ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 02:46      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
As for V-day.. I'll wear black.

[Big Grin] "I wear black on the outside, 'cos black is how I feel on the inside." - 'Unloveable'

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 06:03      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a pyjama party... something I haven't done since I was about 12. But since Valentine's Day is officially the day that has caused most abject misery since the beginning of time, I, and five of my friends (two other singles, three with bfs from other universities) have decided to make a statement. With wine, chocolates, and Johnny Depp DVD's. Woo, yeah, big statement.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 06:09      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
But since Valentine's Day is officially the day that has caused most abject misery since the beginning of time, I, and five of my friends (two other singles, three with bfs from other universities) have decided to make a statement. With wine, chocolates, and Johnny Depp DVD's. Woo, yeah, big statement.

We were going to visit our college's Valentine's Formal and throw things at couples, but then we realised that a) we'd pay heavily for that privilege and b) Why would anyone take their gf/bf to a formal there anyway?

So instead we're going to the pub quiz we do every Monday [Big Grin]

EDIT: Also, please explain how inter-university relationships still function after several years, nearly everyone I know here who had a relationship with someone elsewhere is now single [Frown]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 06:33      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macmsceboy: plus, eating makes the continuity folks go crazy. Nothing like trying to edit a film, and seeing the wine glass fill up as the scene goes on ...
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 06:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whee....I'm spreading cheer today! [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2005 07:37      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe I forgot today's Valentine's Day [Razz]
I think we should all get the day off!! [crazy]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture