homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » What to do... What to do...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to do... What to do...
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2005 22:50      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I posted in a previous thread, there's a bit of a happy beginning going on with me. I've started seeing someone who's going to college and who can't get a job without suffering from poor grades (an entirely understandable predicament). I used to pride myself on my ability to find neat things to do in philly, but she lives a hop, skip, and a jump from the Big Apple. So I'm struggling to know what we can do together that is either inexpensive or free(ish) in the city. I think when the weather warms up, I'll be a bit more creative and have picnics and such.

Any ideas?

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 04:32      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure what city you're in, and this is kind of dependent on your interests, but a lot of big cities (I'm thinking especially of my hometown, Chicago) have underground-ish theater. Non-profit theater, that is. Off-off-loop, it's called in Chicago. Tends to be relatively cheap, though not necessarily as cheap as a movie (maybe $10-$15 a person at the right theaters). Then, you can join the starving actors as they panhandle to pay for food ;-)

Anyway, that can serve as the basis for a full evening; a play often lasts 2-4 hours, plus an hour or two before or after just walking around the city, and maybe dinner somewhere cheap. Hope the relationship works out well for you!

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2005 04:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
I'm struggling to know what we can do together that is either inexpensive or free(ish) in the city.

So, you're looking for something you and a young lady can do, preferably indoors, that won't cost a lot of money......

... and you really need to go online for suggestions?

/me wanders off muttering "The young people today ...."

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 01, 2005 01:59      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To begin with, do not listen to any suggestions from Spungo or Zorro [Wink]

Otherwise, my advice would be to check out what strange and unusual places there are in the city. No, not the sort that the above mentioned might frequent, but an unusual landmark or historical place. Then you take the young lady there and show her.
You would be surprised how little people often know of where they live.

You can also know a lot by what her reaction is.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 08:35      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we can walk around New York all we want once it gets warm.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 08:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
I'm struggling to know what we can do together that is either inexpensive or free(ish) in the city.

So, you're looking for something you and a young lady can do, preferably indoors, that won't cost a lot of money......

... and you really need to go online for suggestions?

/me wanders off muttering "The young people today ...."

Somehow I think there's prior art. [Wink]

I'm about to go into the near city now (NYC, but not Manhattan) - sure, it's a bit on the cold side, but that's never stopped me before. True, I'm going there for a specific reason, but hey - enjoy anything you can. [Smile]

Or something like that...never mind me...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 15:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the Village Voice for some underground/alt stuff to do, usually for cheap. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 01, 2005 15:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in New York, Nitro and I like to go look at buildings, especially the Art Deco ones. The Chrysler Building has a gorgeous lobby, and worth a peek.

http://www.thecityreview.com/chryslerb.html

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 17:23      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Met! The Met! One of the biggest museums on the whole continental shelf... they have an entire pyramid in there... if you can't learn something about her there... then where?!?!?

Or you can steal my trick. When my wife and I were dating, I took her to a historical marker in our city: it marked the site of the first constructed house. I said "this is where the first house was built in this city. And I'm going to kiss you here." And I planted a gooshy one on her. We frequent that place a lot now.

And it was gooshy. Really gooshy.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 18:13      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
And I planted a gooshy one on her.
And it was gooshy. Really gooshy.

Ya know, Ed, considering where we are and all, (I mean, there's folk on this forum that hump sheep and ADMIT it, for the love of Pete!), it seems you owe us a little more detail. Maybe even a lot more detail.

So go ahead - describe this "really gooshy one.". (Nazi types please notice the punctuation occuring both within AND outside the ending quotation marks.)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 21:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh bloody hell...

There's plenty of cheap things to do in NY. Walk around Midtown. Walk around Chinatown. Wander in Central Park. Check out the East Village. Check out Greenwich village. And most of the museums give students either free or heavily discounted admission.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2005 21:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another nice place to consider checking out is Battery Park. Admittedly, there's not too much going on down there right now, but it's still nice to watch the sun go down with the Statue of Liberty in sight. Oh yeah, and there's free WiFi somewhere nearby, IIRC. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted February 03, 2005 19:59      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
So go ahead - describe this "really gooshy one.". (Nazi types please notice the punctuation occuring both within AND outside the ending quotation marks.)

Well since you called attention to it: you can't quote "really gooshy one" as an actual quote of ewomack's, since he never said that (only "a gooshy one" and "really gooshy"). Also, when you end your sentence on a quote, whether the text being extracted ends with a period or not, you always put the period on the inside of the quotation. This rule applies even when what's being quoted is just a single word. The only exception is when you are quoting a number or letter, like so:

quote:
All she could see was a big red "9".

Mark was thoroughly disappointed when he saw that his grade was a "D".

If you were ending your sentence on a question mark, however, it would depend on whether the question mark pertains to the sentence as a whole and not just the quote.

... Mkay, I'll stop now. [Geek]

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2005 21:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You rock, TT! That's totally what I've been trying to say (and failling miserably at it!). Hmm, somehow the spelling of failling looks incorrect to me. [Frown]

--------------------

Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 05, 2005 01:38      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, thanks [Big Grin] ... I'm glad there's at least one person I didn't annoy, heh. Of course, my punctuation and grammar and all that aren't always perfect, so others may feel free to correct me as well,... though that's not to say that I would take much stock of it, since it doesn't bother me as much as it does others here, and I probably *consciously* made the mistake(s)...

I love run-on sentences! They complement my real thought process [Razz] .

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GregoryD
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3429

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2005 16:56      Profile for GregoryD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are quite a few free community-type things that you can do in the city. Go to the library; they usually have postings for events of that nature there. If both of you are interested in something, great, and if only one, then it'll be a good test to see how you react, cuz you'll be spending a lot of time doing things you won't like in the long run anyway. [Smile]
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 16:49      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, as for my grammar and spelling... I tend not to look things up, and, frankly havn't payed attention to any of that crap in English class since the third grade.

When it comes to posting on GC, or anywhere else for that matter, I tend not to care too much about the form my writing takes. However, in most other writing situations, I tend to get great praise on how well formed my writing is... Either that, or teachers complain because my one sentence paragraphs aren't run-on, thus they can't technically mark it wrong, but "All paragraphs have to be at least 7 sentences long!"... Idiots.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 17:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I was taught that paragraphs are comprised of a minimum of three sentences. Later on, when I studied journalism, my professors tried to tell us that one sentence makes a paragraph. Used sparingly, one-sentence paragraphs are great at providing sudden emphasis, but in frequent use they just become poor composition.

--------------------

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 19:25      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what you do... get her in a subjunctive mood... then conjugate! CONJUGATE!!!!! [ohwell]

I'm telling you, it was really really gooshy. As gooshy as gooshy gets. Whoo. And I mean "whoo!"

Like this: [Eek!]

Neither of us ever walked the same again.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 08:54      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:

Neither of us ever walked the same again.

Sounds... Interesting [Razz] .

*cough* Anywho, one sentence paragraphs just happened to make their appearances in some of my essays. If I had the time to edit it (I'm a slacker..), then usually I could turn some of my one sentence paragraphs into multiple sentences. All I had to do was eliminate transitions in the sentence, and seperate it into several extra thoughts, instead of one large complete one.

I can't help but write that way when I'm trying to get information out. That's the way I think. All at once *poof* it's out there and done. No pauses in between [Razz]

'In class essays' were always tough for that reason [Razz]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 09:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not hate the one-sentence paragraph.

Ambiguity is so much fun! [Smile]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture