homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » On Happy Endings... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: On Happy Endings...
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 12:21      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm well and truely depressed from all the news at the moment. Lets take a moment and reflect on how wonderful life can be.

Lets hear about your geek-love happy endings. Tell us about when you fulfilled your dreams. Tell us about the times you have been truely, perfectly, and unaidedly happy.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 13:04      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was truely happy last week when I visited family and friends in Michigan. I got to wrestle and play with a wonderful 5 1/2 year old boy named Benjamin and a sweet, smart, 4 year old girl named Hannah. I have known both of them since before they were born, but hadn't gotten to see them since my wedding a year and a half ago. Much to my delight, not only did they still remember me, it was lke nothing had changed at all.

After I had wrestled with Benjamin for an hour or so he said to me, "Are you a grownup?" Me, "Yes, I am." Benjamin, "I'm kind of beating you up." Me, "Yeah, I guess you are." Benjamin, "It's probably because you don't exercise." I can't believe I managed to keep myself from laughing. [Big Grin] I really love those kids. It will be hard to wait until I get to see them again.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 13:04      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if 'unaidedly' belongs in there, but as far as LOVE LIFE goes, I'm quite happy right now.

I'm with a woman that loves me, makes sense, is fun, interesting, enjoys being with me, makes me feel like a million bucks, and is a tiger in the sack. [Big Grin]

I don't know if we'll end happily, but at the current moment, I don't care, and based on how everything else is going for me at the moment, she's the one thing I can count on to be happy.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 13:54      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I don't know if 'unaidedly' belongs in there, but as far as LOVE LIFE goes, I'm quite happy right now.

I'm with a woman that loves me, makes sense, is fun, interesting, enjoys being with me, makes me feel like a million bucks, and is a tiger in the sack. [Big Grin]

How can you talk about your mother like that? [Razz]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 14:33      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 'unaidedly' clause was intended to exempt narcotic highs from the events recounted.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 15:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy by default. Hopefully not to an irritating degree, but unless I'm concentrating or truly upset I'm smiling.

The last time I was purely and unaidedly happy was when I saw that the sun had come out about an hour ago. I'm a solar-powered lab rat.

I'm also happy when the winter solstice happens, and the days grow longer. I'm happy at the beginning and end of a summit push, and usually happy during the push itself, though not always. I'm happy to come in out of the cold, which happens daily. And I'm really happy when I hold my guinea pig.

However, the last time I felt pure unadulterated joy was when my sis, bro, and I raised a spontaneous rumpus one night while I was home for the holidays last week. It ended with Mom yelling at us that we're too big to pile on top of each other like a bunch of kids.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 16:37      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been happy several times in my life...

I was happy with my first long time GF/sexual partner but she was 16 and I was 20... I think I helped her to grow up but when she was 20 she blew me out. I like to think that once I'd helped her grow up she didn't feel she needed me any more... (I burned long and hard over that...) Many years later I heard she named her firstborn son "Simon", never figured out if that was ironic or not....!!!

After that I met a girl/woman with whom I had more in common than I thought possible - we had five or six good years (really good...) A bust up (money, work, lifestyle expectations...) put it off the rails - after some long hard talking we got back together and had another couple of "good" years, then it started to slide - don't think either of us realised how far off base it had gone until she told me she wanted out... That really hurt, it still hurts now... 9-10 years is a long time to invest in something that's failed... But to quote the old cliché "if you love her let her go" and that really was how it was for me... I still loved/wanted her but nothing I could do was going to be able bring back whatever it was she felt had "gone"... She just didn't love/want/respect me anymore... So I had to say "Go, before we hurt each other more..."

That really hurt me emotionally and psychologically and I did the classic male compensatory deal (drinking, drugs, behaving like a teenager, looking for meaningless sex... never got any FWIW...)

Then I met Jackie and it turned my life around... is my life perfect right now...? No it isn't, but life never is...

Now I have Jackie and our two lovely girls (Danielle 4, and Baby Ruth 4 months) and I feel happier than I have for many a long year...

We've had our own ups and downs, we both have our own disabilites and demons to confront, we both have skeletons from the past that continue to haunt us even though they are well and truly *out of the closet*

Yeah, I'm rambling, just somehow feeling that GC is a good place to vent this kind of stuff.

I have used this stuff and what it means to me to *try* and help and/or offer advice to a few GC posters and hopefully that plus whatever "wisdom" a certain age might bring

well that's enough rambling

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 16:39      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does NOT make me happy today is that I dropped my sweater in a puddle when I got out of my car at work tonight, then promptly stepped on it (the sweater, not the car!), thoroughly soaking it! Argh!

Happy endings and love life? Who knows?! I have prospective beaux in Delaware, North Carolina, and Australia, but nothing for certain. Maybe I'm just hormonal and that's starting to depress me. (What are the emotional side effects of progesterone?)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2005 13:34      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damnit Rhonwyyn, I didn't want anything depressing. [Wink]

I guess it's time I posted something, as I did start the thread.

I love reaching the top of a Tor (an enormous pile of rocks on Dartmoor). Feeling the wind in my hair and just sitting alone, looking out over the barren, desolate landscape.

I guess solitude is not something I get much, still living with parents and two sisters, which is what makes such moments of peace so wonderful.

Wandering round the backalleys of downtown Bath, listening to Green Day, at six in the evening was pretty cool when I did it on Monday.

At the moment, Dogbert makes me happy most of all. On Tuesday I finished setting up her windows box, avec webcam (which was a real pig to set up, but thats another story). The expression of delight on her face at seeing it work was wonderful. Seeing her happy made me happy. [Smile] The story of Dogbert and I is still being written but I sure hope it has a happy ending!

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2005 16:19      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
Damnit Rhonwyyn, I didn't want anything depressing. [Wink]

Why, what's wrong with guys from North Carolina or Delaware?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2005 16:39      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lets hear about your geek-love happy endings.

Well, you see, if you buy a lapdance and tip the stripper really well, you'll end up with a happy ending...

...oh. That's not what you're referring to. Damnit, I guess I can't contribute, then. [ohwell]

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 11:56      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lets hear about your geek-love happy endings.

It was a rainy night. I drove to the hospital in my new suit. The steam from my impatient breath condensed on the windscreen, so that the blurred neon strip-lighting downtown reminded me of that distant Amsterdam go-go bar all those years ago. I was so nervous that the sweat from my palms made the steering wheel hard to grip.

When I pulled into the car park I saw an orderly leaning against the wall, languidly blowing smoke into the bitumen-black night air. I knew straight away it was my contact. We had only spoken on the phone, but I was certain of the match-up between the mercenary voice and the callous, loose-limbed exterior. I pulled out a cigarette and asked him for a light. He just chuckled to himself; a cold, cynical laugh that made me think of all the two-bit pill-pushers and peep-show attendants I've come to know over the years. He said nothing and merely beckoned me through a side door and into the basement. He stuck out his hand for the agreed twenty. I placed it carefully between his fingers. "Knock yerself out," he said, holding the mottled plastic flap open for me. I went inside and hunted around for the right drawer. After five minutes I found what I was looking for: 'Maisie', said the label. I grabbed the cooled metal handle and gently pulled her out.

There she was. So quiet. So small. So alone. I put my arms around her, and wept into her fleece. I must have held her for about ten minutes without moving. I just kept asking her 'Why? Why you? Why did they take you from me?'

In the end I realized why they had brought her here. They knew that she had changed. They knew that our love had made her human. But I knew a different truth... our love had made her more than human. She was more human than any woman on Earth. She had become nothing less than an angel, and all because from the beginning of time to the end of the World - she was mine.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 12:02      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo! Good to see you. [Big Grin] You haven't posted much lately and I've missed you.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 13:42      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, shucks, Peebs. I'd be posting more often, but my net-time here is rationed until I make parole. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 14:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe if you behave they'll let you have more.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 15:33      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Maybe if you behave they'll let you have more.

But it's when he misbehaves that we all have the most fun!

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 14 posted January 07, 2005 15:38      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
By Spungo: There she was. So quiet. So small. So alone. I put my arms around her, and wept into her fleece.
I damn near pissed myself laughing when I read that line. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 15:48      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too Cap'n. I even have a stuffed sheep doll sitting on top of my monitor (it's beside the frog).

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 16:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure to give that sheep a good shampooing this weekend, you never know what has gotten into its wool.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

ChemGeek
Mini Geek
Member # 3124

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 19:14      Profile for ChemGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had any geek love happy endings in quite some time, but the holidays are always a happy time. I enjoy just spending time with my family that I dont get to see all that often. That and they give me money because I'm a poor college student. [Smile]

--------------------
Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined.

Posts: 62 | From: Armpit of America | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2005 19:40      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have a happy ending... I think... seems to be so far... hope this doesn't go on too long...

A few years ago my S.O. of six years suddenly left me for a much older (and much taller) man. One day I wake up and I'm single. POOF! (I'm not exaggerating; she didn't tell me WHY she left, I had to figure that out on my own). Unfortunately, we worked at the same place, and the guy she ran off with worked there too. So I had fun watching them frolic together in the halls. I was unconsolable for months. Then a younger woman started working there too. She started paying a lot of attention to me. She would say things like "I feel like going to bed, but that doesn't have anything to do with you" or "this is the MOST attractive staff I've ever worked with" while looking at me with THAT LOOK. Shiver. Tensions between us rose to a feverous pitch, and I fell for her like a noob. Unfortunately, she already had a boyfriend, and I didn't want to go there (after just being the victim of a similar situation). Still, I eventually confessed myself to her, heart pounding like timpani, but she remained strangely silent. Eventually she moved out of state (waaaaay out of state) and as a parting gift gave me a cup and saucer both covered completely in some kind of fur. Where the cup met the saucer the words "I love you" were painted. She denied that it meant anything. When she left I was completely shattered. I thought I had found and lost "the one" or my "immortal beloved" (poor Beethoven).

Pant pant...

Before she left, she needed to find someone to fill her job. She ran into an old high school friend who eventually accepted the job. This new friend (the third woman in this story) came on to me like a load of bricks, more so than the previous one. And she was single. I recoiled (after what I had been through romance was not on my mind). But she eventually won out with her charms, ravaging looks, and openness. We've been married for almost two years. Recently, I called the woman that gave me the "I love you" fur cup and told her I married one of her best friends from High School. As before, she was silent.

Woof. Was that a happy ending? Seems like it.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2005 20:52      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about happy endings, except from what i hear about those massage parlors.

But, I'm in the middle of a happy beginning! I haven't been this excited in a very long time.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2005 21:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rock on, dude!

Oh, and shepards...guard your sheep - it's a new year...beware of a man in felt-soled wellies...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2005 05:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Recently, I called the woman that gave me the "I love you" fur cup and told her I married one of her best friends from High School. As before, she was silent.

That's where you went wrong. The phone call should have been more like, "say, what's your policy on menage-a-trois?"
*grin*

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2005 21:45      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'll be kicking myself another evening over yet another lost opportunity...

[shake head]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture