homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » On-line Infatuation.... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: On-line Infatuation....
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 05:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Oh, and if she's American, she'll love you. [Wink]

OK, this one lost me.

Edit: /me checks Owen's profile, and gets the in-joke now...

American women, in general, are suckers for accents-especially English, Aussie, Irish, French, and Italian, I would say(judging by my friends and the women in my office!)

I'll never forget the day this tall, dark, beautiful man with a gorgeous Irish brogue came into my office for an emergency eye exam. He literally left a trail of blithering idiots as he worked his way through the office staff. Myself, the receptionist, the 18 year-old file clerk, 70 year-old secretary, and even the female doctor who worked on him were all swooning! I was literally speechless when he was checking out-I just asked him to talk for me!

But you don't have to be that attractive, even-to me an accent is sexy as all hell. [hearts]

In that case, if I'm ever single again (which I won't be [Wink] ), I'll go to the states, and pretend I can't speak English, and just continually talk in French.

Then I'll get a date, and she'll realise I'm a fraud when she sees I'm not speaking REAL french, but that Canadian bastardised version of it I learned instead. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 15, 2004 05:44      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OwenRW:
This is where I have the problem...
I would like to give her my mobile phone number, but i don't really know how to ask her to call me (now that i feel different about her).

How about, at the end of your next email, something like:

"Just thought, would you like to talk on the phone some time? My number's ..."

Simple as that. If she doesn't phone (or text), ho hum. If she does, great! See if you get on well on the phone and don't worry about meeting up until later - if you get that far, come back here for advice [Big Grin] Whatever, don't be scared of showing someone you like them - where would that ever get you?

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 07:00      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Major south coast city, huh?
If it's Brighton give me her name, I'll find her and
[singsong voice]
My friend fancies you
[/singsong voice]

Actually strike that it'll probably scare her off.

Tell her you plan to be 'where ever' because of 'what ever' and suggest you meet up.
When she finds out you travelled 300 miles to be with her she will swoon.

Of course she could hate you forever and never trust you again for lying.

Tell you what ignore all the advice I give [Wink]

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 14:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fanboy's right.

Invent some excuse to be visiting the town she lives in, and drop her a note saying "I'll be passing through your town on Saturday, wanna meet for coffee?"

Most people are quite pleased to meet IRL the people they've only met online, GC geeks do it a lot.

But, if she invites herself back to your room, and coyly produces a set of handcuffs from her bag, run away !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
OwenRW
Newbie Larva
Member # 2841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 14:59      Profile for OwenRW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha, no she isn't in brighton, thats a little too far down the country [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Fanboy's right.
But, if she invites herself back to your room, and coyly produces a set of handcuffs from her bag, run away !

only if they're not furry [Wink]

I think i will try with the phone thing and see how she reacts, as its less wierd for her (and me!) than asking for a RL meet.

However, i thought about the RL meeting thing, and thought it might be less threatening, (if we get to the stage where i would ask her), to suggest she bring some of her friends so she is in a more comfortable and dominent position. i think that would be better, right?

i know it sounds like i'm being a bit sucky, but all your positive reactions really have made me feel better about myself, and my 'situation', as i realise that i'm not alone.

(my RL friends wouldn't be as positive, hence me not really having anyone to ask)

quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
Whatever, don't be scared of showing someone you like them - where would that ever get you?

Very true. You might not think so, but i don't normally have this problem in RL... [Smile]

Owen

Posts: 6 | From: UK, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 18:08      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most people are quite pleased to meet IRL the people they've only met online, GC geeks do it a lot.

Except Aussie ones [cry baby] [Wink]

quote:

Depends on if she wants to use them on herself, or you, I suppose [evil]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 19:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OwenRW:
[QB]=
i know it sounds like i'm being a bit sucky, but all your positive reactions really have made me feel better about myself, and my 'situation', as i realise that i'm not alone.

(my RL friends wouldn't be as positive, hence me not really having anyone to ask)

I don't think meeting mates over the internet quite carries the negative stigma it's carried in the past... as time goes by, more and more people are learning to deal with it and accept it as a little more normal.

The one thing meeting over the internet has an advantage over most other methods, is that people can be their absolute selves without putting on a metaphorical mask and worrying about the reaction they'll get...

I'm the only person I know who is the EXACT same online that he is in person.. I'm a mean, ignorant, opinionated asshole in person, and I'm the same online. [Wink] I don't care what anyone thinks about me in real life, or in virtual life. [Big Grin] I prefer to be liked for me, not for some fake me.

... back to the original point.. I'm surprised your friends would be negative about it.. most people nowadays don't even think twice about stuff like that anymore.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 20:14      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
That's it, I'm doing some travelling in America, I've always wanted a trail of blithering idiots [thumbsup] [Wink]

<bigot>
Well, no better place than America then
</bigot>
[Smile] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] [evil]

Sure. See if I ever compliment your accent again [Razz]
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 20:26      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
That's it, I'm doing some travelling in America, I've always wanted a trail of blithering idiots [thumbsup] [Wink]

<bigot>
Well, no better place than America then
</bigot>
[Smile] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] [evil]

Sure. See if I ever compliment your accent again [Razz]
Wise move. The last female to compliment TFD's accent disappeared from GC, never to be heard of again (whatever happened to JJB, btw?).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 20:36      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met my honey online 9 months ago, and I'll be getting married and moving there next spring, so, like everyone's been saying-it can definitely work!

I know this is a difficult question for most guys [Razz] , but....

Are you getting any sense of flirtation or that she feels the same?

Just say something like, you enjoy chatting with her, and you were wondering if she'd like to talk on the phone someday. Life is short-go for it.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted July 15, 2004 20:43      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
, and I'll be getting married and moving there next spring,

Getting married! [Eek!] Did I miss the announcement when I was in Hawaii?

Congratulations, snupes!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

[hearts]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 20:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I met my honey online 9 months ago, and I'll be getting married and moving there next spring, so, like everyone's been saying-it can definitely work!

Congratulations ! [thumbsup]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 15, 2004 20:55      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys!

No, PB-no announcement. We are not "officially" engaged because we have to figure out where, when, and which Visa route to go(Fiance Visas are the best and most legal way, but a pain and loads of paperwork). Plus, he wants to get married here, and i want to do it there(I've been married before, he hasn't, so I feel it's more important to have it in England, but he's still old-fashioned about doing it in the woman's hometown). So, I guess there will be an official announcement at some point!

Red tape definitely takes some of the romanmce out of tying the knot. [ohwell]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 20:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
, and I'll be getting married and moving there next spring,

Getting married! [Eek!] Did I miss the announcement when I was in Hawaii?

Unless I've missed it too, I think that was the announcement.

Congratulations, snupy! [thumbsup] [Happytears]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 21:03      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...it's hard to make an announcement when we haven't set a date and there are so many "little" details, such as that pesky little ocean in between us! Mainly he's doing some remodeling and getting his house ready for me, also

I also kinda haven't broken the news to my family that I'm moving, although I know they suspect, and they love him.

Now it seems kinda anticlimactic [ohwell]

Thanks for the good wishes

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 15, 2004 21:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snupy! Congrats! [thumbsup]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 21:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can hold further congratulations until the announcment if you like. I wouldn't want to detract from the occasion.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 21:12      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea, csk-how 'bout I let everyone know when we apply for the Visa?!

Thanks so much for the support and good wishes, though [Happytears]

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 21:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

[Eek!] [Big Grin] [Cool] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
That's fantastic snupy!! Congratulations!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2004 23:49      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our sweet snup is getting all growed up [weep]

Happy day!

Talk amongst yourselves....I'm clemping [weep]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 16, 2004 01:27      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay snupy! [thumbsup]
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 16, 2004 01:31      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy_uk:
Major south coast city, huh?
If it's Brighton give me her name, I'll find her and
(...)

Well, guessing that the 'major city in the north-east' is Newcastle - if you think you can get from there to Brighton by train in three hours... howay man! Naah, 'sobvious she's in the big smoke, gor blimey guvnor innit, etc. etc.
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 16, 2004 01:47      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wooo Snupy. Fantastic news!
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
OwenRW
Newbie Larva
Member # 2841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2004 02:42      Profile for OwenRW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I met my honey online 9 months ago, and I'll be getting married and moving there next spring

Excellent news. Congratulations! [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

quote:

Are you getting any sense of flirtation or that she feels the same?

interesting question. i do get the impression she likes talking with me, and we do kind of flirt with each other a little, so...

quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
... back to the original point.. I'm surprised your friends would be negative about it.. most people nowadays don't even think twice about stuff like that anymore.

it surprises me as well really, but i'm working on changing them (albeit slowly)

Owen

Posts: 6 | From: UK, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 16, 2004 03:23      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snupestress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is such a lucky guy! Fantastic news! I wish both of you the very best of everything for ever and ever!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture