homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Happy 7th Anniversary, Best Beloved

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy 7th Anniversary, Best Beloved
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 7 posted March 15, 2004 06:16      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been seven years as of today (March 15) since we eloped to Reno on the shoestring budget of a part-time secretary and a PC jockey. Today we're a full-time a'-homeschoolin' mommy and a "Mac Daddy" (who doesn't do Windows -- if he can help it).

Thank you for loving me through it all. Thank you for being my best friend when I had none, for holding my hand when I needed someone, and most of all, for showing me there's no shame in laughing, especially at myself.

I've gained weight -- you tell me there's more to love, and we can lose it together. I've vented my frustration -- you've flung your arms around me until I feel better or tickled me until I laugh. I've complained how I've failed -- you've listed everything I've done in your life to make it better. You tell me you're the lucky one in this relationship, when I think I'm the one who got the lion's share.

Seven years of ups, downs, near-divorce, and times of romance that starry-eyed poets write about.

Seven years has gone by so fast, and it makes me melancholy and elated. Elated because you stayed, melancholy because I get only one lifetime and even if life allows us fifty years, it will never, ever be enough.

This morning you're going to wake up, say something poignant, make me laugh, and make me think. You're probably going to grumble about talk radio, then bounce like a Tigger about "something yummy for breakfast", the curls you hate and I love sproinging and boinging all over. We're going to hug Pooh, smile, play with the dog, and you're coming to gymnastics class and the safety field trip I planned with the home-schooling group. We're going to frown, laugh, argue, tease each other, and end the day with "I love you very much -- Happy Anniversary, honey".

You are my best friend. It's sweet that you think you've done two great things in your life: marry me and consent to have one child -- Pooh.

Happy Anniversary, WinterSolstice. I love you.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 15, 2004 07:51      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're so sweet!! You are hands down the most wonderful, amazing, incredible person in the entire cosmos.

Having met you, the rest was obvious. No other contenders need apply [Smile]

I love you too so much, and thank you for breakfast in bed! Now let's go get our Ann. gifts!

To everyone else on this board: I hope you all have or will have someone as awesome for you as Just_Jess is for me!

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 08:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats guys [Smile] !

And yeah, I think I've got someone awesome [hearts] .
/me has a random thought about digitally tracing nicely fit curves :-P.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 15, 2004 08:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - [Happytears] [thumbsup]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 10 posted March 15, 2004 09:49      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Happytears] [thumbsup] very nice [Smile]
Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 15, 2004 14:17      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Snaggy didn't use his trademark line [Wink]

Magnificent Valour!
[Big Grin]

Wishing you many years more,
Bill

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 16:38      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

and have many more happy years together

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 16:52      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Congrats!!

As peace is always a blessing, I wish you nothing but. And may whomever you may or may not worship bring you many happy years together.

This one is to you guys, Jess and WS
*Raises Glass
*Sips from glass

Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2004 18:17      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! [thumbsup]

Mrs. Gibbon and I are working on 3 1/2 years, and now realize that it's a daily challenge to make it all work, but it's worth it. May you have many more wonderful years together!

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 15, 2004 21:00      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all, and congrats to you and Mrs Gibbon for the 3.5 years!

-WS

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2004 02:44      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations are definitely in order [thumbsup]

Many more to come to you both!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2004 15:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very happy for you Just Jess and WS. It is a very lucky thing to be in a long lasting and good relationship, indeed it is a gift that I myself sometimes feel that I have done little to deserve.

But I must ask why do you Jess put up these public love letters to WS here? Is it like carving your initials into a digital tree? Your relationship is a private matter, so apart from congratulating you both I do not see what comments we can add. Reading them also makes me feel slightly uncomfortably voyeuristic. I do hope you are not showing off, as there are quite a few lonely souls here, and these posts, which however you phrase it cannot help but sound just a tad smug, and so can be upsetting to them. I may be an buttoned up Brit old fogey, and I just do not like any excessive public displays of affection. I find it tasteless.

I am sorry to be such a wet blanket, and I am quite prepared for the rest of you to shoot me down in flames but that is how I feel about this. And I am genuinely happy for the both of you that you have this marvellous blessing.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2004 18:01      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is so little in this world that is joyful at all. Humanity is a cesspool of self-righteous pigs (with exception), and I wanted to share something special with a community that I consider more real than my neighbors. My neighbor-lady down the street has spoken to us twice about (1) parking our boat in an overflow lot and (2) having it up on our lawn a bit past Halloween when we used it for decoration.

You know all those people who go out to $300 dinners, huge honeymoon-like weekends, and splurge on ghastly parties with their friends? I have none of that. This is my socialization. This year we didn't get an acknowledgement from my own parents, and I even called them on the day for my sister's address to send her kids some gifts.

This is my sorry-assed little fricking life in a nutshell, and obviously it's got no point.

Sorry if I offended you. It seems the world finds offense in anything that doesn't pander to it or the thick seething greed and avarice of the human race.

Humanity is a dirty blight on the world. From people laughing at Winter's beautiful hair (which he has no combed back) to making us have to choose between food and gas this summer (so he can commute), overall it's a heap of shite. My oldest son and I can't be in the same room for more than an hour before I ask him to stop chewing with his mouth agape repeatedly, and he completely falls to pieces. Yes, it's my fault, because I'm a bad mother. Always have been.

Is that what you want? Because life's not been daisies and roses, and the day after my seventh anniversary, I've gotten into a fight with Winter over trying to find some alternative to get him to work because of legalese in the vehicle code, and I don't know when he'll come back, if at all.

There.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2004 22:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two cents...

Despite the fact that my own seven year wedding anniversary, and separation from my wife have been within the last few weeks, I'm still happy to hear details of the story of Jess's and WS's success(es). Although it reminds me of the painful state of my own marriage, it gives me hope that even difficult situations can work out over time (and it certainly sounds like they had it tough, particularly in the early stages). But surely no one, least of all Jess, is painting an idyllic trouble free picture of marriage (and anyone who thinks that: you'll never find any married person who looks at it that way. That's not a coincidence).

Besides, surely a little sharing of ourselves on these forums is to be encouraged? I'm not having a go at you for raising the question,Callipygous, as it's a worthwhile one to ask. But, personally, I think we can learn a lot from others and their approaches to things, and I've certainly learnt a lot from what I've seen posted by Jess and WS.

Jess: Sorry to hear about the recent troubles. [Frown] Hope they all work out OK

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2004 02:41      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess I too am sorry that your life is not exactly a bed of roses, but I detect a slight whiff of emotional blackmail in your reply. Do you think that I should never criticise or disagree with you on any subject because of your difficulties? I might add that my own life is not one long walk in the sunshine either. Ultimately however, this is a public forum, where I would hope we all give each other our honest opinions, though hopefully expressed with a degree of kindness and charity. I also hope I made plain in my last post that this was my personal reaction, and am pleased to hear csk disagree.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 17, 2004 05:35      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I mind an announcement like this, in a topic of its own, on a significant occasion - on which, congratulations, Jess. I don't think I'd have minded two or three years ago either, when I was one of the lonely souls (it's amazing how quickly I seem to have adapted to my now non-lonely situation). It's encouraging to hear people's success stories every now and again, especially success in the face of adversity.

Scattering random forums with the digital equivalent of the love notes you leave under the fridge magnets is a different kettle of prawns, and I'd hazard a guess is less fun for said lonely, but I'd only sound like a grumpy old sod if I complained - aw bless, they're only young [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Wink]

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture