homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Should we have great fear?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should we have great fear?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2014 15:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This question is directed mostly at the citizens of The United States, Merkins. Are we at the tipping point? Have we gone past, or are we headed towards social upheaval soon?

Several events have given me pause to believe that a lot of our moral fiber is being worn through. There seems to be a lot of the citizenry feel that there is no hope of being heard.

I feel that many of the present events look not unlike the French Revolution.

I Heard of the riots in Detroit 1967. Heard of riots in LA over Rodney King. Occupy Wall Street. Now the riots of Ferguson Mo. With sympathy riots in other cities. Has the tipping point been reached, has the rule of Law and Order given too much power to the Police? Should they be reined in?

I have great fear.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2014 00:04      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have two very different questions there.

1. Are we headed towards social upheaval?
2. Have we given the police too much power and have to reign them in.

The first question is easy. No. The top 60% are too comfortable to riot in the streets and the bottom 40% are too disenfranchised and powerless to do anything.

The second question is trickier. We probably are going down the slippery slope to a police state. The strange thing is that some of the poorest and people (white people, that is) believe the police make us safer and support all manner of abuses. The political propaganda machines have been wonderful at convincing citizens that evil is just around the corner and we have to be protected.

I think the changes are a long time coming. We'll probably see them in 20 years, when the demographics of the nation change enough so that minorities can actually have an electoral voice that overcomes the hurdles of the gerrymandered districts our politicians have built to protect themselves.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2014 12:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QF one of the things that came out of Ferguson was the Turf wars between police agencies. We just had a situation here that could have turned ugly. In the County to the NE there is a group of volunteers that at their own expense teach tracking dogs. These are well taught and well handled dogs that are very good at finding lost hunters, cross county skiers. About a month ago a toddler Two Years old wandered from the yard and into the woods, during very foul weather, cold and rain. The local Sheriff was called and SAROM showed up and thier dogs put on the scent. Later in the day the Michigan State Police showed up and had the Sheriff call of the search by SAROM, so that the state owned tracker would not get confused. Night falls and the dog is put back into its cage and driven away. Many of the SAROM volunteers have night vision gear (I think for poaching) however they were prevented from re-entering the woods. Morn come the State Police dog comes back and resumes the hunt, finds the child alive TWENTY TWO HOURS after she went missing.

Iosco county press

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2014 21:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peaceful and not so Civil Disobedience is happening.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2014 22:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hardly surprising, there's a frakkin' video of a cop using an illegal choke-hold killing a guy while he begs for mercy, and no charges were laid.

As the UN put it, there's "a culture of impunity" when it comes to cops dealings with people of colour.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2014 23:35      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: So, what's your point?
Of course there are turf wars between police (and civilian) agencies. That has existed since Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about some clever detective.

But that does not imply (or have any relation to the discussion of) that there are enough people with the intelligence and means to coordinate a rebellion in the streets against the government. I still find no evidence of that. SAROM may think they are smarter than the police, but I don't think they want to dismantle the status quo.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2014 15:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarom Search and Rescue of Michigan, is not advocating rebellion. However in a power struggle with the Michigan State Police, they and the County Sheriff were told to cut bait, While a two year old child was left in the woods. In an area that has Coyote packs,

Jefferson:
Thomas Jefferson quotes:
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then.

At this point Government does not fear the Electorate, as they should.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2014 01:57      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should start by explaining what your great fear is. Is it fear that the government has stolen too much power - and thus we need a revolution. Or, is it fear that the situation has so many parallels to the French Revolution that the people will revolt - and that is what you are afraid of.

Of course, I'm putting words in your mouth, leaving out the middle ground. That would be the government has taken too much power, and we should work with the system to fix that. I'll grant you that sane out. If you like that, what do you propose to do, as a citizen, that would help restore the checks and balances on the government?

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2014 08:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QF I am no longer a young man, I came home from my war forty-five years ago, I am too old and slow to take up arms. Your point on parallels to the cause of the French Revolution are spot on. Anatole France "The law in its majestic beauty forbids the rich as well as the poor from sleeping under the bridges and begging in the streets.

I grew up in a family that had many uncles return from the battles of WWII and the atrocities committed by our enemies. I have seen first hand the ugliness of war. I see our present police agencies becoming Para-Military in thought and tactics.

Now for some links:

Wired.com

And it is not just the local police it is an all out assault on our freedoms:

pcworld.com

The Amish may have it right!

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2014 12:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Fear is that this is going to gain momentum:

USA Today

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 11:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me thinks that the police agencies have no fear.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2015 19:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the events in Texas a bad omen?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture