homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Not another Battle over my Diety is better Than Yours.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not another Battle over my Diety is better Than Yours.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2014 09:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iraq & Syria tribal conflicts. In the name of RELIGION.

Does GOD really condone these battles?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted June 17, 2014 18:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118198/olivier-roy-isis-iraqs-civil-war-and-sunni-shia-rift?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2014 21:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What positively slays me is that this is about one version of Islam vs. another. That'd be like Mormons vs. Baptists. (Actually, Mormon is probably more different!) FFS...really?!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2014 10:58      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
That'd be like Mormons vs. Baptists.

Or Protestants vs Catholics. Not like that ever happened...

Islam is basically going through what Christianity went through a few hundred years back. Persecution, crusades, in-fighting. Now we've just got to wait for the marginalisation and self-loathing to be the dominant forces [Wink]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2014 22:45      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, my god actually is better than yours. I believe in the god that watches over children and drunks. He has never done me wrong.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2014 00:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't mess with this god...
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2014 22:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quantumfluff wrote:
FWIW, my god actually is better than yours. I believe in the god that watches over children and drunks. He has never done me wrong.

Your god kinda sucks

And Thor needs to do a better job, too (kinda NSFW)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2014 10:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets back up over two hundred years, How is the revolution in Syria and Iraq different than when the Colonists declared liberty from England?

How is this any different than the War Between the States.

Should we be picking sides or just selling weapon systems and let the highest bidders win, or keep the battle going by selling to both but not enough to have one side triumph?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture