homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » How must we look ex-US? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How must we look ex-US?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2013 21:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious question to non-US folks: Just how bonkers does our system look right now?

This whole debacle is really frustrating - holding the gov't and possible the full faith and credit of our nation hostage over a law that was /passed into law/...is an utter disgrace. If anyone should have their pay withheld, it's them, not innocent everyday employees.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2013 23:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-man, because this may be read by non-adults, I will leave out the profanity, I do not have anything to say.

I some times watch a PBS station that broadcasts foreign news some of them are have great fun with the news feeds.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2013 02:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the Republicans put Roy in charge of fixing the US government...
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2013 02:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But seriously, it looks like the Republicans are pushing the 'One Year Delay' thingo because they're looking towards the next congressional election, where they can either...
1. Campaign as the party who will stop Obamacare gassing your granny
or
2. Looks like chicken little the day after the sky didn't fall, while trying to convince millions of people who have health insurance for the first time ever to vote to give it up.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2013 02:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Looks like the Republicans put Roy in charge of fixing the US government...
 -

Thanks, I needed that. [Big Grin]
(That elicited an actual LOL.)

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 01, 2013 04:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dman, it looks terrible from up here in Canada. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to live in the USA right now.

And what is scary for us is how much the [crazy] [crazy] [crazy] wrecking your country affects our country here, and the rest of the world.

[shake head]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2013 07:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think about!

Mz S. Palin of Alaska fame and her comments about death panels, we have them already. Blue Cross, Aetna, Humana, "We Are Sorry, That Is Not a Covered Benifit."

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2013 09:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Just how bonkers does our system look right now?

Nah, just the tea-baggers -- they're loons, and everyone can see that. They think they have the right to bypass democracy. The 'normal' wing of the Republican party really should disown them, but they can't 'cos they have too many supporters -- deranged folk from the square states who still think Obama is an Ay-rab.
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2013 10:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I think it is RACIAL PROFILING by the Old Angry White Men, whose great hope was beaten.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2013 11:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is frustrating and irritating thing all the way around.

Currently I place the blame on the House for allowing this to continue. They are holding a gun to our head in order to shut down the ACA.

I know that I have espoused a lot of Libertarian rhetoric, and in many ways I still believe in many of the same things. This is not Libertarian. This is sociopathic.

The blame I place on the moderates and the current sitting president is that these factions should have been put in their place years ago. But they placated them and all it did was feed fuel to their fire.

I have faith that things will get figured out. Eventually. [ohwell] But I hope that the Senate doesn't budge. The last thing we need is to give the nutjobs like Cruz another reason to think that he is in the right. Our system is a mess, but these hardliners are something to fear.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2013 12:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering how long before big business gets on the phone and tells the congress to go back to work.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2013 09:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To those of you that have access to DirecTV, channel 347 is now Al Jazeera

Of course they are covering the pain of effected people.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2013 12:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<sings>
Super callous right-wing cynics stuffing up the process,
Just because they like to think Obamacare's atrocious...
</sings>

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2013 12:39      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
<sings>
Super callous right-wing cynics stuffing up the process,
Just because they like to think Obamacare's atrocious...
</sings>

[Applause]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 05, 2013 13:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid.. lol! [Applause]

MacManKrisK!!!!!!! [Applause]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2013 20:31      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every country has its own idiocies...

The US seems to have this one where the debt is continuously rising - perhaps soon to the point where all the money in the whole world economy wouldn't cover it. Topped off with a silly thing where it sets a "no more borrowing" level and then everything stops while the parties wrangle and horse trade trying to gain advantages before they eventually decide to raise the borrowing ceiling a few more trillions and then carry on until it happens again.

From here in the UK it just looks silly and even Obama said (in a soundbite I saw on TV) "We have to stop doing this"

Not doing the US any favours internationally I am sure and for me it just looks damned silly... and a little scary as if the US gets into problems... usually everyone else follows (c.f. sub prime scandal leads to global banking crisis)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2013 23:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ser., you piqued my curiosity, so I consulted um...Wikipedia.
(As such, take /some/ of the following with a grain of salt.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_debt

Looks like both of us have a sizable public debt.
Ours: "On April 2, 2013, debt held by the public was approximately $11.959 trillion or about 75% of GDP."
Yours: "As of Q1 2013 the national debt amounted to £1,377.4 billion, or 90.7% of total GDP."

To true those up, (1,377.4 billion) gbp in usd = $2.205 trillion (US dollars)
(via Wolfram|Alpha)
-or-
(11.959 trillion) usd in gbp = £7.47 trillion (British pounds)

IOW, both are big scary numbers. However, Paul Krugman has pointed out that (to paraphrase), national debts are nothing like your personal che[ck|que]book. (Zany as it sounds, it's apparently quite alright to run this sort of debt.) US Treasury notes are considered one of the safest investments in the world, backed by the full faith and credit of the US gov't, such that groups with big money choose them at a minor loss (i.e. 99.5% of face value) in lieu of out and out cash on occasion. The notion the Tea Party could put us at the risk of default over petty squabbling is revolting.

As such, the 'we have to stop doing this,' is largely about the constant tweaking of the limit - we should set it to automatically increase. Our debt goes back to the birth of the nation - if we were to try to spend so little as to keep within the limit, we'd probably have to slash Medicare and Social Security...which would go great with a certain key constituency.

I wish these shenanigans would have a real impact come election day, but naturally that's a year away for these clowns - I bet they wouldn't be pulling this stunt on an even year. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2013 22:52      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fear dark times are looming for the U.S.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2013 23:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorWho:
I fear dark times are looming for the U.S.

Um...right. That reminds me of some guy who posted around here in bold type, except this time it's red.

And now I see a new way to really tweak TP-morons - "Obama bonds". [Razz] Best of all, they're technically unconstitutional, but less so than letting the country default on its debts.

Man, these lazy clowns are pissing me off - just pass a clean bill already!

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2013 00:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Ours: "On April 2, 2013, debt held by the public was approximately $11.959 trillion or about 75% of GDP."
Yours: "As of Q1 2013 the national debt amounted to £1,377.4 billion, or 90.7% of total GDP."

For comparison: the aussie government's net debt is 11% of GDP.
The difference, both sides of politics here are mature enough to raise (about) the level of taxes needed to pay for their spending commitments.

Prediction: at the next US election, the Republicans will campaign on 2 things...
- The Debt Crisis
- Big Tax Cuts For EVERYONE!

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2013 00:54      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, normally I would be laughing at a page like that and calling it a bunch of nonsense. However, with what I have seen from people I know who have confirmed things about the government shutdown, how they have closed things that don't cost the government anything, and in some cases actually bring in an income yet they are closing them down anyhow. My cousin lives in South Dakota. He can't stop along the highway to view Mount Rushmore because they have traffic cones there to prevent you pulling over. I have an uncle in Florida who makes a living chartering fishing boats in the Florida Bay who can't because the Fed "closed the ocean". This is a power play to intentionally hurt the common man. I can only wonder what will happen next all things considered.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2013 06:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorWho:
He can't stop along the highway to view Mount Rushmore because they have traffic cones there to prevent you pulling over.

The way I heard it, they closed the normal viewing areas in the park, so large numbers of visitors started just stopping on the highway, in places that were never meant for that, which is an obvious safety hazard.

Shutdown or not, the parks service are responsible for the safety of visitors, if the rangers all just go home and let visitors wander at will, and a passing truck ploughs through a crowd of camera-wielding tourists, who do you think the lawyers (and the GOP) will blame?

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2013 09:31      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but here is the rub. He is friends with park rangers who told him that it is costing way more to keep visitors out than it would be to let them in and operate as normal. If the purpose of a government shutdown is to stop spending money then they are doing a piss poor job of it aren't they?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2013 11:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, as I understand it, the Park Rangers are an approved expense, the daily operations of the park are not. :/

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2013 12:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Jon Stewart website.
quote:
Stewart ended by calling out the GOP for the talking point that Obama negotiates with Iran but not them.

“You’re not helping yourself if it turns out that President Barack Obama can made a deal with the most intransigent, hardline, unreasonable, totalitarian mullahs in the world, but not with Republicans, maybe he’s not the problem!”

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture