homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » I hate it when pompous jerks who have done evil stuff are correct

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I hate it when pompous jerks who have done evil stuff are correct
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2013 16:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putin OP ED in the NYT

While I certainly don't think Putin believes in democracy, or even what he wrote in the OP ED, What he wrote is correct.

Also, he has good reason not to like us, we have been starting a bunch of wars in his corner of the world. Maybe he wants some stabilty there ( through dictatorship).

( ps Though on the other hand Russia did start a war with Georgia recently)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2013 21:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not forget that in the 80s there was that Afghanistan invasion.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2013 22:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a fair bit of what he wrote was disingenuous - it's doubtful that the 'opposition' used chemical weapons, and it's doubtless that Assad has killed 100,000 of *his own people.* Unfortunately, it's true that some of the opposition are rather impolite folk, and it seems few in the region who oppose their dictators ever truly have democracy in mind as the end goal (or at least the people they give the reins to don't honor these interests). /Other/ countries may be arming the opposition, but Russia is arming Assad.

American exceptionalism is extremely distasteful to me - it's great to take pride in your nation, but saying you're better than everyone else 'just because' is about as silly as religions that say they're 'the one true religion.' However, Obama would be lynched if he didn't kowtow to the LCD that wants to hear it. (I seem to recall he caught flack for this once before.)

Of course, that whole 'one true religion' thing is certainly also at play over there...I really wish people could get over themselves and just get along. Putin speaks of "opposition in a multireligious country" - we're a multireligious country, and we don't have people killing other people because they're members of the wrong religion. We have major political disagreements when people try to inflict their religious beliefs (or perversions thereof) on the rest of us, but our institutions are sound enough that common sense usually prevails. Sunnis killing shiites and vice versa is insane - they're both Muslim, for Pete's sake! (Heck, both probably gang up on the Copts. :/)

This is something I think we do quite alright with, thought I'd suggest that France might be ahead of us. I was pretty surprised by Putin's religious closing, though that might be more an appeal to Americans - I'd figure him to be nonreligious as a former KGB man. (Wikipedia says he's Russian Orthodox...go figure.)

/me grumbles and nonetheless hopes this works and we don't get into yet another quagmire.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2013 02:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we're a multireligious country, and we don't have people killing other people because they're members of the wrong religion

Maybe not on a regular basis, but it does happen.

Unfortunately, we also have quite a few people who are stupid enough to think skin color=religion, so we still have people who think anyone vaguely middle-eastern looking must be a Muslim extremist.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2013 07:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
it's doubtless that Assad has killed 100,000 of *his own people.*

Which puts him about 1/6 of the way to matching the body count of the American Civil War.
And about equal to the total of the English Civil War.
1% of the Russian Revolution.
4% of the Congo Civil War
3% of the Vietnam War
10% of the Spanish Civil War.
1% of the Chinese Revolution.
0.3% of the 8th Century Chinese Civil War...

Civil Wars are nasty, always have been.
Not convinced sticking your nose into someone elses is a good idea.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2013 00:29      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! Hello! Hello!

Here is what I think! I think Putin and Obama pulled a fast one on the press and the world! Yes!

Both acted bellicose toward each other, so that their constituents would think they were very tough guys.

But what happened in the end? President Obama says 'Let's go to War!"

And America says, "No way, Jose'!"

And so Mr. Putin calls Mr. Obama sand says, "Hey there! I see your buns are in the fire with your people!"

Mr. Obama says, "Yeah, and you aren't helping any!"

Mr. Putin says, "Oh really? How about if we convince the Syrians to destroy their chemical weapons and you don't have to go to war?"

"Holy bat guano, Vlad, you'd be pulling my buns out of the fire!"

"You betcha Barry!"

"Vlad, you can write nasty op-eds all the time. Thanks!'

That is what I think really happened.

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture