homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Freaking Cowards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Freaking Cowards
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2013 08:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF

Freaking Cowards

I takes real balls to attack spectators at a marathon, if you think you have been wronged attack a Military Installation . Naaw you're a
Freaking Coward

I'm sorry I had to vent, I have seen way too much carnage. During my life.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2013 12:09      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my close coworkers ran the marathon yesterday. He took a sick day today, and I can only hope it's for normal post-race recovery.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted April 16, 2013 17:09      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fucking awful. [Frown]

so sad, so senseless.

Did you see the picture of the 8 year old victim holding the handmade sign, "No more hurting people.' ?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-explosions-boston-campbellbre93f135-20130416,0,1946345.story

[Frown]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2013 19:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

so sad, so senseless.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Snaggy.

I just don't get it, nor do I get the senseless killings @ Newtown. (Though those can be poorly explained by insanity.)

Can't we all just (try to) get along?

P.S. As I slowly migrate feeds to NewsBlur, I stumbled across Schneier's blog, and I think he's right on the money:
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/04/the-boston-marathon-bombing-keep-calm-and-carry-on/275014/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 2 posted April 20, 2013 11:07      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chechen "freedom fighters..."
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2013 16:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not care about the motivation or purpose, to attack non-combatants is a cowards act.

OH yea your cause sure won a lot of points by attacking ordinary people,

You got a beef with this country go take on Seal Team Six.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2013 18:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan - I'm not sure if that's meant to be a response to zsr's post, or just a comment on things in general, but I should stress that I'm certain zsr's link is meant to be seething w/saracasm. [Smile]

I'm just very glad they got the fscker and the streets of Boston are safe again (for varying definitions of safe, taking into consideration Boston drivers [Wink] ).

zsr: I skimmed that article - I was minimally aware of that incident before, and while I don't entirely trust Wikipedia, that really throws the matter into stark relief. Damn, that's fscked up. [Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2013 19:06      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People

I really feel for those of you in the US... the Boston bomb was a horrible horrible thing.

But I live in the UK and although thankfully it is now a thing of the past I grew up with the IRA bombing all sorts of targets all the time...

Sometimes it was Police Stations and Military "targets" but it was also shopping centres, and Pubs/Bars, and Parades and all sorts... the point of terrorist bombings is just that - to spread fear and terror and uncertainty.

Then like you had 9/11 we had an attack on London's Public Transport - not perhaps on the same scale but still horrific

You have not really had to suffer a lot of internal terrorist threat... and that is great... but the downside is now that you may be subject to some you don't realise the dangers - in London, for example, someone drops a backpack and walks away people and the security would be probably be suspicious... (maybe not so much now as 15 years ago) but those of us over a certain age would be. We got taught to be so.... "Suspect Device" was a phrase we all learned to be well aware of - time and the lack of such horrors daily has blunted a lot of it here for many - but like MoMan can tell you some things stay with you forever. At major events they still like take away the rubbish bins, because the IRA liked to drop bombs into them...

If the US has to learn to deal with internally generated terrorist dangers you will have to learn these lessons too - just like you taught a generation to "duck and cover" you will have to learn to distrust abandoned bags, and other "suspect devices"... yes it sucks... but it is better some careless teenager's bag gets detonated by the bomb disposers... blowing books and underwear to hell than no one notices and another Boston style bomb goes off.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2013 19:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ser: In NY, there's a thing "If you see something, say something," that while a bit over the top, is pretty hard to miss. The reminders on the subway are quite irksome, but I suppose valid enough. (Mind you, I was a bit disconcerted Wednesday evening when I saw a laptop bag sitting on a subway platform - and asked the guy near it if it was his. He said yes, but didn't seem terribly interested in it, which I mostly chalk up to him seeming a bit crazy (in the normal sense). Really...who the hell doesn't clutch their laptop bag tightly in the subways? [Esp. if you consider the sta. that I was in.] Given that it was leaning against a police booth I didn't make a big deal out of it. I'm pretty sure if he didn't walk away with that case, NYPD would have taken care of him.)

We're only recently getting trash cans back in certain public places because of such fears, and I'm quite certain they're similarly removed or blocked for events as you describe. For the NYC marathon (and certain other high profile events), manhole covers get welded shut. (Not being a litterbug, I remember being irked a few years ago when I wanted to throw away some trash near Rockefeller Center and there wasn't a can for at least a one block radius. When I spotted a guy sweeping the area, I ended up handing him my coffee cup and he told me that the cans were gone 'for security reasons.' Joy.)

If it wasn't in horribly poor taste right now, I'd find and link to an Onion video from a few years ago that highlighted how unlikely people would find Boston as a target for this. I'm certainly taken aback by this, all the more so as I know some great people in said city...and I like visiting from time to time as a nearby getaway.

P.S. All those warnings and what-not aside though, it's true that we haven't been through anything like 'the troubles.' Occasional bits of mayhem don't really compare to everyday crap, which is sure to keep one on his or her toes. :/

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2013 03:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here is something to think about. Did boston make the right choice shutting everything down except dunkin donuts to try to catch the suspect.

They only caught him after they lifted the travel ban and someone went out to smoke.

it also cost over a billion dollars this manhunt. Why pay a billion dollars to hunt this horrible murderer and not others ( like ones that kill people in poor neiborhoods).

pope hats' thoughts

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2013 09:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash, I do agree with you there was over reaction.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
― Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life & writings of Benjamin Franklin

The Patriot laws are a good example.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2013 11:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka wrote:
it also cost over a billion dollars this manhunt. Why pay a billion dollars to hunt this horrible murderer and not others ( like ones that kill people in poor neiborhoods).

The billion dollar figure is based on Boston producing about a billion dollars in goods and services per day the previous year. To lose that much, everyone would have had to literally stay home, which did not happen. Many did, but others did not. There were stores that were open, people still bought stuff, people worked remotely, etc.

The billion dollar figure also assumes that work didn't pile up and won't be done later. The rest of the nation didn't take the day off, so that's clearly a false assumption.

This was not a billion dollar manhunt by any stretch of the imagination. That's just a sensationalistic number that some reporter pulled out of his ass in order to make an eye catching headline.

Plus, every time there's been an incident of someone going on a similar killing spree, there have been similar lock downs and advisories for people to stay home. These things always happen in public places where there are lots of people, however, not in neighborhoods where where most people are indoors.

Would you mind providing an example of a bombing or shooting spree in a poor neighborhood (or even a wealthy one) that would have warranted advising people to stay indoors?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2013 12:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash: I'm partial to the gravity Schneier gave the lockdown in this one sentence:
"On the other hand, readers are rightfully pointing out that the lock down was in response to the shooting of a campus police officer, a carjacking, a firefight, and a vehicle chase with thrown bombs: the sort of thing that pretty much only happens in the movies."

Another straightforward point is that the lockdown made travel by the suspect to be thoroughly conspicuous. As such, he holed himself up in that boat. Consequently, it made it really easy to find him, and that resulted in a ton of people thinking that it would have been easier to find him without the lockdown. (He totally would have stayed put without a lockdown, right?)

It's worth noting that the lockdown was technically voluntary, and the good people of Boston, being rightfully fearful of this maniac, largely complied. The only thing that has me a bit worried is the nature of the door-to-door searches. I'm not clear on whether those were Constitutionally OK or not. Also, I read about how SWAT told some woman to evacuate her home, as it was right near the crime scene...and when she returned, the place was a mess, as they used it as a command post. Since there's no mention of them asking for that usage ("May we fsck up your place?" is very different that "You need to leave for your own safety!"), I hope she got an apology and compensation. (And perhaps the reporter didn't feel like writing that approval was given.)

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2013 15:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an interesting article in the.

Montreal Gazette

I hope that the author is wrong, however I fear he is correct.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture