homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Big sigh of relief

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big sigh of relief
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 06, 2012 23:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obama got his 270.
Phew.
I was a little worried about this one.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10459 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2012 23:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...imagine my surprise that the BBC says that Obama won, when the numbers are still coming in. [Razz] (Here everyone says "the networks called it" - that is, 'believe it extremely likely.)

I'm very heartened by the fact that FOX News has actually called it for Obama.
That's pretty gutsy of them, and quite reassuring. Right now, it seems the Times is the most hesitant party to call things: http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/president/network-calls

Still, looking at some maps of polling data, it's insanely close in places like FL & OH. While it really looks settled, it's still a bit disconcerting to me.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2012 00:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well...imagine my surprise that the BBC says that Obama won, when the numbers are still coming in. [Razz] (Here everyone says "the networks called it" - that is, 'believe it extremely likely.)

There's a bit more to it than that.
They were talking about Florida on the radio here, Obama's margin looks thin, but the 'Old South' panhandle counties where the Republicans get 85% of the vote are fully counted, it's places like Miami (60-something percent Democrat) who still haven't put in their final figures, so Obama's lead seems safe.

I assume similar logic applies in the other seemingly close states that the networks have called.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2012 00:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I don't really doubt that, and things are shaping up with Va. now.

Still, the following is the headline and summary on bbc.co.uk:
President Barack Obama wins re-election
President Barack Obama has been re-elected to a second term, defeating Republican challenger Mitt Romney.

And on nytimes.com:
OBAMA’S NIGHT
ELECTORAL ADVANTAGE HOLDS; POPULAR VOTE IS TIGHT

The lede for that article:
Barack Obama was re-elected president on Tuesday, as The New York Times projected that he had won Virginia, a key swing state that helped him defeat Mitt Romney after a long, hard-fought campaign that centered on who would heal the battered economy and on what role government should play in the 21st century.

One of these is not like the other.

Edit/P.S. D'oh. I just realized I've been so focused on Obama breaking over 270 that I kind of didn't take in the fact that Romney has barely surpassed 200. I can sleep soundly now. Now I just need to get my power back!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2012 01:28      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was pretty nervous with initial numbers. VERY happy with the outcome!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1127 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 07, 2012 15:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

May-whatever-gods-you-believe-in bless America! [hearts]

Posts: 7826 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2012 19:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WE HAVE WON, BY VOTING THE ADS WENT AWAY.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2012 19:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florida's finally been called for Obama. Fortunately, no one really needed to care. I can't help but think that that was part of a very smart campaign strategy.

And to think we in Colorado were afraid our state would be the next Florida. We should have known that there is, and ever will be, only one Florida.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2012 09:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda feel sorry for Romney.
The way the system works these days, you have to sound like a teahadist lunatic to win the Republican primary, then instantly switch gear into sane-3-digit-IQ mode to win the middle ground who decide the actual election.
And somewhere along the way, the voters stopped believing him, whooda thunkit?

--------------------

zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted November 09, 2012 14:46      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for Romney. As ye sow, so shall ye reap - or so claims a work of literature he might have claimed to read [Wink]

--------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 384 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2012 15:28      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was quite a relief, wasn't it? Here in Utah, you can imagine how ridiculous (and blind) the allegiance to the momo candidate was. The racist and hateful reactions from the local momo populace was quite funny, considering how all loving the lds church is.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.