homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Years ago a member of this forum predicted this.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Years ago a member of this forum predicted this.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 06:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penn-judge-muslims-allowed-attack-people-insulting-mohammad

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 07:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Followed the link in TFA, read the transcript, and listened to the audio recording.

It sounded to me like the judge was saying "There are two version of the events being presented here, and I don't see 'beyond reasonable doubt' evidence of the crime the accused is being charged with"

The rest amounts to...
1. A plea for a little more tolerance of other peoples religions.
2. The judge saying he's a Muslim (which he's later denied).

I honestly doubt if any of us would have heard of this case if not for point (2).

Now, for an actual Muslim to deny he's a Muslim is a big deal, a Really Big Frakkin' Deal, the kind of big deal that can lead to other Muslims declaring a Fatwah, and you sharing a room with Salman Rushdie, so if the judge denies he's a Muslim, I'm inclined to go re-listen to that part of the audio and see if it's been misinterpreted.

So here's a transcript of that part of the audio...
quote:
Whenever it is very common, their language, when they’re speaking to each other, it’s very common for them to say, uh, Allah willing, this will happen. It’s, they’re so immersed in it. And what you’ve done is, you’ve completely trashed their essence, their being. They find it very, very, very offensive. I’m a Muslim. I find it offensive.
No doubt, if we take the literal interpretation of the judges words, he's saying he's a Muslim. But if we allow a little latitude for the judge not expressing himself clearly, it also possible that he was 'stepping into the defendants shoes' when he said that. As I said, it's unlikely that an actual Muslim would deny his faith.

Which leads us back to what he judge said, that the allegations weren't proven beyond reasonable doubt, and that the (alleged) victim was being a doofus.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10410 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 08:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still appears that a very large can of worms has been opened.

This case may be appealed over and over.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2012 19:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fair warning, the original link is a contributing post to Yahoo that may be written by any old yahoo.

This is from the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/pa-judges-dismissal-of-harassment-case-criticized-after-zombie-muhammad-posts-trial-audio/2012/02/28/gIQA5kUggR_story.html

I'm sure this wasn't handled well, but I think the judge's point was that the guy was being needlessly antagonistic. Obviously we can all point out that in America, free speech reigns, and everyone has the right to be offended...but if you were to replace religion w/sports, no one would contest this. If a Yankees fan walked into a Boston bar w/a pinstripe cap on, he might get beaten up and later told 'that was a dumb thing to do.' (Which is just a reflection of Red Sox fans' insecurity -- a Red Sox fan can walk into a NY bar in full regalia and might get a little trash talk, but likely nothing would come of it. Personally, I don't give a damn about any of it, and I don't particularly care for the Yankees -- too damn greedy, IMHO.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9168 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 01:40      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seriously doubt that Judge Mark Martin is actually a Muslim. It sounds to me like he was attempting to speak metaphorically, and phrased it clumsily. (Judges shoot off their mouths in court all the time, as Ken White, blogger at Popehat and a lawyer and former Federal prosecutor and defender, will tell you.)

That said, this statement by the judge is, in my humble opinion, abhorrent and vile. If physical assault can be excused, even "unofficially," because the assaulter found something the assaultee said "offensive," then "freedom of speech" is a dead issue. Any judge expressing such an opinion must be impeached, removed from office, and permanently disbarred from the practice of law as quickly as possible.

For God's sake, the entire underlying purpose of the judicial system is to resolve disputes without the need for violence. And Shari'a is not the legal system of the United States, nor, God willing, will it ever be!

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2012 07:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The case wasn't dismissed because the judge thought it was okay for a Muslim to attack someone else over making fun of the prophet. The case was dismissed because there wasn't enough evidence. Watch the video with the sound muted and try to identify who is doing what and you should understand why.

Along with the verdict, the judge tried to explain why Muslims are so much more offended than other religions and, separately, pointed out that the guy looked like a doofus because he confused the stories of Jesus and Muhammad.

Thanks to selective quoting, both messages and the verdict have been conflated and everyone thinks the judge meant the attack was okay because the guy was a doofus for offending Muslims, but that isn't at all what the judge said or meant to say.

Dismissing a case for lack of evidence is not even remotely the same as Sharia law. The person on the forums who predicted Sharia law would be enforced in the US was an idiot then and is still an idiot if he thinks it will ever happen.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6355 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.