homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » The prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 00:23      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say what you like about the American Right, but you can't help but admire their intellectual athleticism. The dazzling logical somersaults they perform, the inconvenient facts they vault over with such nonchalance and daring, and the sheer strength of their belief in things invisible to degenerate liberal eyes, often just leaves me gasping for breath.

I've particularly enjoyed their reaction to the tragic events in Norway, perpetrated obviously by a lone lunatic, and absolutely not a terrorist, for whose ideas they have clearly no responsibility, even though they sort of (umm.. well almost completely) agree with him.

And just remember kids, any vicious, pinko, enemies of free speech who say otherwise, are making those heroic persecuted visionaries of the Right into yet more victims of this senseless, and ultimately completely unavoidable tragedy.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 05:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all due respect, Calli, Europe has some very deep racial and ethnic issues of its own. Not to say there isn't crosstalk, but Norway's going to have to blame itself for Breivik. Just as we blamed ourselves for McVeigh...

Welcome to the club, Norway. Now why in the world did you think it couldn't happen to you?

That said, the way the Christian fundies in the US are stumbling all over themselves to disavow Breivik is truly entertaining to watch. And a media spotlight is also returning to the militant bits of the US right wing, which is sure to cause some elements further discomfort. Especially since those elements have gotten very restless ever since we elected that half-black guy with a funny name to the White House.

ETA: Beck got fired from Fox for being too extreme. He's best ignored. The more commonly drawn parallel over here isn't Breivik = bin Laden. It's Breivik = McVeigh.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 06:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
Just as we blamed ourselves for McVeigh...

You underestimate the amount of lunacy and denial in the right-wing

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 06:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Xanthine wrote:
Just as we blamed ourselves for McVeigh...

You underestimate the amount of lunacy and denial in the right-wing

Well...I'm pretty sure she was being facetious [edit: whoops...guess not]...but your link is even scarier in terms of lunacy.

Still, a local story that re-emphasizes blame dodging has been making the rounds here - the husband of a drunk & stoned driver who went the wrong way on a parkway, killing herself, family, and strangers...is blaming the signage and suing the state. Earlier, the toxicology evidence was utterly damning, and he claimed that it was a mystery illness -- anything but to acknowledge how completely irresponsible she was. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 07:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't being facetious at all. I clearly remember the hours, days, and weeks after the attack. First, there was speculation it was Muslims, but that quickly dissolved as the investigators released findings to the press. Then McVeigh was arrested, followed shortly by Nichols and a whole dark underbelly to the USA was soon brought into the mainstream media. Fringey, but present. Stories abounded about militias and hate groups. No one was claiming foreign influence.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 08:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh.../then/. My error!

Thing is, no one really talks about McVeigh or 'in house' blame these days, do they?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 08:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. 9/11 was a game changer for us. That was part of the shock. Not just the scale, but that it came from outside.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 08:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the more I think about it, I definitely remember the exposes on the freaky militias. However, I was ahem...geekier...then, and paid less attention to 'mainstream media' than I do these days. (Mind you, I pay zero attn. to the likes of Fox "News" or any other TV "news" for that matter.)

The really unfortunate thing with Europe as compared to us is that 'anti-Muslim' and 'anti-immigration' intermingle a lot more than they do here, as a much larger fraction of their immigrants are from Muslim countries. That lets bigoted tools hide under the cloak of 'anti-immigration' (more palatable to some) when they're really anti-Muslim. Here, anti-Muslim folks show up loud and clear as the bigots that they are.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 08:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, yeah, you've all fallen for the Lamestream Media lies about Breivik, but I bet you also believe Elvis is dead.

How do we know Breivik is really Norwegian?

Where's the Birth Certificate?.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2011 13:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
With all due respect, Calli, Europe has some very deep racial and ethnic issues of its own. Not to say there isn't crosstalk, but Norway's going to have to blame itself for Breivik. Just as we blamed ourselves for McVeigh...

My point was not that Norway in particular, or Europe in general had no problems, or are blameless, simply that the ideology that inspired and motivated him is all born and bred in US Right wing politics, indeed we have heard most of it before here from our very own (US based) GC fruit loops. In that respect Breivic is the bastard spawn of the Internet and the American Right. And yes it is entertaining hearing them try to disown him while agreeing with his world view.

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2011 21:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another attack that is plainly not terrorism.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture