homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Is this the beginning of the end for News Corps? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is this the beginning of the end for News Corps?
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 13:53      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubris meet Nemesis.

Suddenly cracks are beginning to appear in the Murdoch empire in the UK, which even a week ago seemed unassailably all powerful. Perhaps the best piece I have read on this still developing scandal is from the right wing political magazine "The Spectator" here

How far this will spread is anyones guess, but it is a cheering thought that this evil man's malign influence may now be on the wane.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 14:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, per b3ta, the answer to this is still in the negative:
http://www.hasrebekahbrooksbeensackedyet.com/

Also for convenience, here's a one page version of "The Spectator" link:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/print/politics/all/7075673/what-the-papers-wont-say.thtml

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 20:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, they havet oo much money and too many people like thier dribble.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2011 21:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, I read the Spectator article as proof that this is not 'the beginning of the end'.

It's a long list of influential people, including those who had strong commercial or political reasons to pursue the story, who blatantly turned a blind eye.

Murdoch is just too powerful, if he axe-murdered one of his rivals at a cocktail party, the police would find every guest was looking the other way at the time, or had something in their eye, or couldn't be sure who it was they saw with the axe...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 10:42      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are underestimating the extent of the change in attitude here Druid. It really does feel like a different world now. Things that everybody knew but no public person dared say previously are now being openly expressed by politicians of all parties. In the press, It's not just The Guardian and The Independent that take this seriously, but on the right The Telegraph does too now. The hacks made redundant by the closure of The News of the World are seething with rage, and as reported by Carl Bernstein in Newsweek
quote:
News International, the British arm of Murdoch’s media empire, “has always worked on the principle of omertà: ‘Do not say anything to anybody outside the family, and we will look after you,’ ” notes a former Murdoch editor who knows the system well. “Now they are hanging people out to dry. The moment you do that, the omertà is gone, and people are going to talk. It looks like a circular firing squad.”
Lastly underscoring all this, you should not underestimate the mood of public anger at the latest round of revelations, particularly concerning the relatives of casualties in the absurd wars we are caught up in, when the Murdoch tabloids like to portray themselves as the ones who are behind "our boys" and in particular as the News of the World conducted campaigns for better treatment of ex servicemen in partnership with the British Legion.

And according to Rebecca Brooks herself, worse revelations are still to come.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 00:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really quite stunned and pleased to watch just how fast all of that happened. It was mind boggling to see public outrage reach the level where Murdoch called quits.

See when it turns out that it has been happening here for years, we will gripe, and then roll around on our couches because it is just too much like giving a damn.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 13:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now The Sun, and The Sunday Times are brought into the scandal, hacking the former PMs phone, and illegally obtaining his children's medical records.

There go Murdochs chances of passing this off as just a few rogue elements at NotW.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 12:20      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
There go Murdochs chances of passing this off as just a few rogue elements at NotW.

Actually that disappeared last week, when it became evident that this was being done on an industrial scale. Today in a parliamentary committee, the policewoman in charge of the investigation told M.P.s that thus far they had only has enough time to contact 170 out of around 4,000 potential victims. So we are only at the very beginning of this scandal.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 12:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Today in a parliamentary committee, the policewoman in charge of the investigation told M.P.s...

Call me cynical, but I don't expect much from the 'police investigation'.

Two years ago, when the 'sorry we accidentally deleted all those incriminating emails' story fell apart, and thousands of 'lost' documents were handed over, the police declared that no further investigation was justified, without looking at any of the new documents.

It's almost as if the police didn't want to find evidence of 'industrial scale' bribery of the police.

--------------------

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2011 09:07      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! Hello!

It looks like that mean Mr. Murdoch is in a fix. Oh boy!

All you need it to find out he killed Princess Di, and maybe Elvis too and his goose will be a flambe!

Have a Great Day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2011 11:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating detailed report in the NYT on the unhealthy relationship between News Corp and the Metropolitan Police.

I think that's some real serious top quality journalism that shows why the NYT is one of the world's great newspapers.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2011 11:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Fascinating detailed report in the NYT on the unhealthy relationship between News Corp and the Metropolitan Police.

I think that's some real serious top quality journalism that shows why the NYT is one of the world's great newspapers.

Hmm...I was wondering why I hadn't seen that yet, but realize now that it's in tomorrow's paper. [Razz] Just a little bit ago, I was reading about how Sir Something-or-Other (of the Met) was going to be in hot water, and how Rupert apologized with head in hand over voicemail hacking.

I'm very glad to hear that politicians are finally standing up to the press - it's quite the other way around here, and it's good to see you lot catching up. [Wink] The thing that disturbs me most about the rags over there (Rupert's Sun chiefly among them) is how they'll *pay* for their scoops. Few widely read papers around here would stoop to that level (though I don't know about the NYP).

The Times is a great paper, despite what some right wing nutters say, and despite what I routinely see on /., where people seem to deem it a mouthpiece for the gov't. (I find that a truly astounding idea, given how critical they are at times...)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2011 07:12      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The story is the traffic accident I can't look away from. I'm not sure what will happen to ole Rupert. He is so willing to throw everyone under the bus to save himself.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2011 10:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, it looks like he threw the redhaed under the bus!

And since she was formally charged with the hacking crime right after she was fired I am guessing M told his cop buddies he wouldn't protect her anymore and they needed somebody to scapegoat.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2011 10:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even now the momentum of events is accelerating, Brooks not just gone, but under arrest, the head of the Met resigns, and the Serious Fraud Office is now involved.

For the first time I doubt whether Murdoch himself will survive, and if he goes News Corps will disintegrate shortly afterwards. The most damaging thing as far as he is concerned is not that he seems ruthless or devious, but rather the extremely odd statements he has made, make him look out of his depth, out of touch, and simply old and tired.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2011 10:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
well, it looks like he threw the redhead under the bus!

Never a good thing. [Roll Eyes]

And since she was formally charged with the hacking crime right after she was fired I am guessing M told his cop buddies he wouldn't protect her anymore and they needed somebody to scapegoat.

Or he was tipped off she was going to be arrested, and decided it was better if a former employee was arrested than the current CEO.

I'm starting to come around to Calli's way of thinking on this.

Murdoch has made a lot of enemies. Even on the side of politics he supports, there must be many politicians who didn't appreciate having to tug the forelock to their Lord And Master. Now he's looking weak and vulnerable, this could be their opportunity to put the knife in.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2011 12:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not everyone is sticking the knife in, though...

This will make your jaw drop

The bigger issue is really hacking and how we as the public going to protect our privacy and deal with it. I would also say, by the way, Citigroup, great bank. Bank of America, great bank. Are they getting the same attention for hacking that took place less than a year ago, that News Corp is getting today.

You would think that they didn't understand that there's any difference between being the one who committed a criminal act and being the the victim of a criminal act.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2011 16:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's outrageous.

Apparently that 'Bob' fellow is a PR flack of some sort -- because if he was a 'hacking' expert, I'm either stupendously good at technology, or have no chance at getting a kickass job, as the market for technology experts has been completely filled.

I do love his claim that this news is from a 'decade ago.' Again, my math skills must suck if the initial VM 'hacks' from 5 years ago (which were sat on and ignored by "the Yard") is actually a decade ago.

FAIL.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2011 21:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see the Murdoch Empire giving such 'Fair And Balanced'™ coverage of their own wrongdoing.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2011 02:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh...and as to those claims that "Why are we focusing on an issue in England when we have pressing issues here?" -> Uh oh - "News America" has also been accused of hacking (but swept it under the table):
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/18/business/media/for-news-corporation-troubles-that-money-cant-dispel.html

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2011 12:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plot thickens...

Not making any accusations of course, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for the mans death, totally unconnected to the fact that he was a key witness against the Murdoch Empire...

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2011 15:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thicker and thicker

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2011 21:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inside the belly of the beast

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2011 05:08      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see he got pied in court?
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2011 07:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a surprise, the police commissioner urged The Guardian to drop the story.

Of course, he was just trying to stop them wasting their time on what he believed was a non-story, covering up police corruption never even crossed his mind...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture