homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » If you happened to be a pastor, would you baptise an alien?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you happened to be a pastor, would you baptise an alien?
Ali Straws
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 39737

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted June 26, 2011 17:03      Profile for Ali Straws   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a fair enough question, is it not? XD

--------------------
Live long and prosper. Remember:
Bow ties are always cool.

<3 Ali Straws~

Posts: 3 | From: Romeoville, IL | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 18:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, why not. The question is, why would the alien want to be babtized?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 19:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expect I'd have to ask some questions, which would depend on my religion and/or denomination...

TV Evangelist: What's its credit card number?

Mid-western Evangelist: Given its exotic biology, how do I decide if it's 'Gay'?

Catholic: Given its exotic biology, can it sing in the choir, and where do I stick my d**k?

Jewish: Is it Kosher (count various body parts) and what part do I circumcise?

Calvanist: Am I predestined to baptize this critter?

Scientologist: Is it from the planet Xenu, and did it arrive here in an intergalactic DC-3?

Zen Buddhist: What is the sound of one tentacle clapping?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2011 05:13      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's OK to baptize Mexicans, as long as they have their green card.

Oh, wait, did you mean another kind of alien? [evil]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2011 00:38      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it depends on whether I believed my god to be the god of Earth or of the universe. Also, what if the alien were aquatic? How would I baptize it? Would I consider it a soulless animal and not feel the need to baptize? I guess it would depend on my theological bent. Would I get publicity and a chance to be on TV if I did? In that case I would do it, because I would be a venal pastor.
Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2011 06:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
best thought from this thread yet!

quote:
also, what if the alien were aquatic?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2011 07:45      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How 'bout if they're silicon based and burst into
flame on contact with water? Holy or otherwise...

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2011 08:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why would a silicon based life form burst into flames when they come into contact with water?

You're thinking of column I based life forms.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2011 09:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he burnt his feet at the beach and misunderstood what made the sand hot?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2011 13:56      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash:

Checking here may clear it up some. I remember somewhere reading
that the Horta in Star Trek TOS could exist as silicon life
but only at temperatures much higher than shown and
in the absence of free oxygen. There's an argument
that life based on long chain silicon and oxygen
polymers (silicone) could exist in a more earth-like
environment. There is some silicone based life now but
most of it is concentrated in southern California.

GS:

The sand is alive man. I can hear it, dude!

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2011 15:55      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We Unitarians don't baptise much of anybody.

Little known fact about CW: I am an ordained minister.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

guitar, bass, percussion, Macintosh.
http://www.cwsmith.fm

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2011 17:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CW Smith:
Little known fact about CW: I am an ordained minister.

Me too.

I'm a minister of the church of P.O. Box 8041, Fresno, CA, and I have the mail-order certificate to prove it.

/me has a sis-in-law with a strange sense of humour.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2011 07:26      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the alien has travelled to Earth it's too late for baptism.....the poor bugger has already gone to Hell! [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 07:53      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldn't you baptize the alien? Granted I am religious and many here are not, but it seems like a no brainer to me. If an alien felt the commitment to faith, why wouldn't you baptize the alien.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2011 11:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Why wouldn't you baptize the alien? Granted I am religious and many here are not, but it seems like a no brainer to me. If an alien felt the commitment to faith, why wouldn't you baptize the alien.

Maybe your Pope/Archbishop/Swami/Televangelist has ruled that Only Humans Have Souls.

<Bad-fake-suthun'-accent>
They'z gowt ho-urns!
Ayund hooves!
They'z thuh work uhv thu day-vil!
</Bad-fake-suthun'-accent>

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2011 07:55      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:

I'm a little late to this one, but I agree that if the alien wanted it, there's not really a reason I can think of to say "no".

However, if you ever read C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet" and "Perelandra" (the first two in Lewis' "Space Trilogy"), his idea is that maybe some planets wouldn't need that, not having fallen as ours has.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2011 09:25      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what I say!

All he has to do is send ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus located somewhere in Los Angeles, California, and sure, I'd do it!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture