homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » So far beyond parody it's left orbit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So far beyond parody it's left orbit
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2011 04:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One shouldn't mock the afflicted but...

the statement put out by Newt Gingrich's P.R. following the err.. interesting first week of his bid for the Republican nomination, when he found himself trapped between reality and the Tea Party almost made me pee my pants.

As Gruber is wont to say, sometimes the jokes just write themselves. Unbelievable.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 19, 2011 05:19      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing that some POS like Gingrich always manages to stay floating at the top. Both political parties in this country, not just the 'pubs... [thumbsdown]

gg

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 19, 2011 07:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're in for a "fun" 19 months...
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2011 09:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That page was too convoluted for me to follow.

Honestly, I have no problem with Gingrich, as I think he's so far away from normalcy that he can only help the left. ;P
(Same goes for a certain 'mama.' They drum up press, but no sane group of people would vote for them en masse.)

P.S. Something I consider kind of sad is that while I might not agree completely with him, Sen. Lugar sounds like a decent enough guy, and he's being attacked for his moderate stances. I think we need more folks like him on both sides of the aisle, not the rabid folks...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2011 09:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman Bingo!!

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2011 09:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The right wing in this country lost its shit completely when Obama was elected and since then any right wing politician who wants to compete at the national level can't be a moderate and get away with it. It's sad and disturbing.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2011 10:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Honestly, I have no problem with Gingrich, as I think he's so far away from normalcy that he can only help the left. ;P

Taking the long view of things, Barry Goldwater was known as "Mr Conservative" in the 1950's. He lost the 1964 presidential election because he was seen as "too extreme".

In 1996, when Gingrich dominated a much more right-wing Republican party, Goldwater commented to an old friend "We're the new liberals of the Republican party. Can you imagine that?".

And today, Gingrich is 'too Liberal' for the nutters who dominate the Republican party.

It'd be hilarious, if it wasn't so scary.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture