homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » "Who owns your location? "

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Who owns your location? "
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 00:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ To me this is an interesting question, much like the Icelandic peoples and their Genome.

____ So is there a way I could back charge for my info??

____ Where am I? Whom do I call? How much is that worth to you, mister advertiser?

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216304/Who_owns_your_location_?taxonomyId=77

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 12:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan

It's a bit odd responding to one of your posts with a challenge as I consider you to be one of the sensible members of GC, however, the article you have tabled for discussion has annoyed me.

"Who owns your location data?"

Well, you do... until such time as you sign up for any smartphone/internet service that uses said data. At that point you have handed it over, and willingly.

I am surprised that you have invited discussion of such a whiney, spoilt-brat article as that "open-letter".

Quote..."I don't recall being asked, do you?" To the authors of that letter I would say this...
Well maybe you don't, but then someone made the mistake of assuming you would understand what was implicit in the provision & consumption of location based services.... YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM YOUR LOCATION!

And before anybody rushes forward to defend this stupid letter, let me answer the obvious cry of indignation - "I didn't sign-up for any location-based services..."

YES. YOU. DID. What do you think your mobile phone (cell-phone) IS, if it is not a location-based service?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 21:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grummash, I opened the debate because I read the EULAs. How many people in the world do not? If said auther had read his EULA, he would have known. As the sales person says just click Yes, Agree, I have read the EULA.

____ Cloud storage, Cloud anything, E-mail services it behooves the user to Read The EULA

____ Many EULAs even take your right to sue for lost or compromised data, Just click I agree.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 21:41      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan

Fair point. I don't always read the EULA's myself, but I think I am better than most in this respect.

IRL I spend my day dealing with complaints in the financial services industry, so quite often I find myself telling customers:
1) You got what you signed for....
2) If you had read the Term and Conditions you would have known this would happen...
[Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 22:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Back when I was hired into my apprenticeship, I had to sign "Non Disclosure agreements and Transfer of rights for possible patients" just to learn a trade. These documents made loan applications appear simple.

____ Lawyers, lets just shoot them all.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture