homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Friggen Feds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friggen Feds
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2010 05:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ AssHats.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/12/realtime/

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2010 13:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As with most of this 'counter terrorism' stuff - it won't catch the real bad guys.

Before I go on my suicide bombing mission, I'll tell someone at work there's a problem with my card, (hands guy wad of cash) so can you pay for this flight on your card please?

Then I'll pay a few bills by mail, and subscribe to some magazines, quoting the credit card number. This will generate more transactions over several days without me being there.

And finally, before I strap on the C4 vest and head for the airport, I'll give my credit card to a single mother, and tell her if she spends more than $400/week, I'll cancel it.

Took me about 20 seconds to think of the above, I wonder what devious tricks the real terrorists could come up with if they think about it for weeks.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2010 16:06      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
logically, if you're a bad guy you'd be using somebody else's credit card anyway (and if you're super sneaky you'd let yours get cloned by a more minor crook and leave a nice fake trail wherever it's being abused).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2010 19:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loyalty cards? Really?!

I never touch the things - though I due use plastic as it's simply easier.
(And I'm sure they track stats on that.)

I imagine some might tell me that I "might lose the discount." Honestly, this has never been a problem - if I think there's a discount, I just pick the right line and 'forget' my card. Who says women are the only ones who can get away with that? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2010 22:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a loyalty card. However, I never actually registered it so for the past seven years I've been a new customer.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture