homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Spying on us and protecting our food??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spying on us and protecting our food??
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 03:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____ This thing should be able to check out the zits on your back at the beach.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40308294/ns/technology_and_science-space/

____ This Bill is supposed to protect the food chain, some claim that it will out law home gardens and seed hoarding. Taking this years crop and saving some for next years planting. This smells like Monsanto wrote it.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-s510/show

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 04:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
This Bill is supposed to protect the food chain, some claim that it will out law home gardens and seed hoarding. Taking this years crop and saving some for next years planting. This smells like Monsanto wrote it.

I've been debating this on another forum, quick summary...

Most of the claims about the FSMA are tinfoil-hat bullshit.
No banning home gardens.
No banning ownership of seeds.
No WTO food-police in silent black helicopters.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 04:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, I agree that most is BS, How ever if you buy Monsanto Soy High bred bean seeds You have to sign an agreement that you will not replant with seeds from yield. Some farmers that never bought seeds from Monsanto have been sued because Genetic markers were found in the crop, Monsanto claiming that their Patent was infringed.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 08:49      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
This Bill is supposed to protect the food chain, some claim that it will out law home gardens and seed hoarding. Taking this years crop and saving some for next years planting. This smells like Monsanto wrote it.

I've been debating this on another forum, quick summary...

Most of the claims about the FSMA are tinfoil-hat bullshit.
No banning home gardens.
No banning ownership of seeds.
No WTO food-police in silent black helicopters.

No kidding. I was looking through the text of the bill, and the comments often seem to take sections that talk about "adulterated" food to mean it will affect organic/small farms. My best guess is that they have no idea what "adulterated" means, as a quick skimming of the section so far finds it's about developing a plan for protecting the food supply from being poisoned intentionally.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 09:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Some farmers that never bought seeds from Monsanto have been sued because Genetic markers were found in the crop, Monsanto claiming that their Patent was infringed.

Do you have a link?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 10:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Hi Ash, first a description, Seed Cleaner, machine or operator of a machine that removes tares, chaff, and dirt from harvested crop.

http://www.monsantoblog.com/2009/02/16/seed-cleaners-and-monsanto/

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Raids-on-Seeds-life-itsel-by-Linn-Cohen-Cole-081215-45.html

____ Because of Monsantos BS I do not grow Soys,

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 13:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I was looking through the text of the bill, and the comments often seem to take sections that talk about "adulterated" food to mean it will affect organic/small farms. My best guess is that they have no idea what "adulterated" means, as a quick skimming of the section so far finds it's about developing a plan for protecting the food supply from being poisoned intentionally.

My favourite is the clause that says (paraphrased)

"Hey guys, we're not trying to tear up the WTO treaty, if it looks like we have, you're reading this wrong"

Which the tinfoil hat crowd interpret as...

"Oh noes!!! This authorizes jackbooted WTO food-police in silent black helicopters to invade every farm and contaminate our Vital Bodily Fluids !!!

They also interpret the rules controlling imported food as applying to all food, and I honestly don't understand how. There's some talk of 'maritime law' - but how they twist that to make potatoes grown in Idaho 'imported' is beyond me.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 16:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ ADM and Monsanto have paid a boat load of money to get ag laws rewritten to help their bottom line. It is to a point that running a test plot or a corn maze is more profitable than selling the crop. Bio-fuels have pushed corn to the point soon a box of corn flakes will be over five dollars. Seed corn prices are out of sight, unless you are planting deer feed, that grade of seed is still pretty cheap.

____ This year I wanted to show the grandkids what a small farm thanksgiving dinner would be like. Now find a fresh Ham (Non Cured), next garden Yams OH yeah right in the produce department, canned yams in syrup are cheaper.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 09:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ On a different note, some people!!

http://cbs4denver.com/investigates/dia.mobile.command.2.2015692.html

____ How good are these videos??

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 09:35      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. There seems to be a lot of freaking out over Section 306.(c).(5): "Recommendations on whether and how to harmonize requirements under the Codex Alimentarius."

I'd honestly never heard of the Codex Alimentarius, but it's got the tin-foil-hat people absolutely panicked that it's even mentioned. Trying to find out more about it, I can see some criticisms of the group that seem possibly legitimate (mostly that the guidelines favor corporations over small businesses), but nothing to justify panic over such mild language in the bill.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 10:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Sxeptomaniac, Here in Michigan farmers in certain counties can not sell their bovine herds because the white tailed deer herds in those counties have mad cow. I believe that this is in relation to:

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/zoonoses/en/

____ I do not know who set the standard, but it even effects baiting deer for hunting, Of course the hunters blame the Michigan DNR. So that begs the question of why did baiting get disallowed, State Rules, Fed Rules, or WHO Rules?

____ Hunters claim that only one deer in one county came down with Mad Cow and that that deer was at a Deer Farm.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 10:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sxeptomaniac wrote:
I can see some criticisms of the group ... but nothing to justify panic over such mild language in the bill.

You're looking in the wrong place.

First, "Codex Alimentarius" sounds a bit like the Latin names that are used in horror movies for evil books used to summon demons, cast evil spells and what have you. This clearly indicates that the organization is bent on world domination and/or destruction.

Second, the organization is backed by the WHO which sounds close enough to NWO that it must be related, thus it is evil and bent on world domination and/or destruction.

Third, and most importantly, the people freaking out over this have not and will not read it. They're regurgitating and embellishing the paranoid theories they read elsewhere. Most of what they "know" is the result of a large scale version of the whisper game.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 10:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ This of course SP and her cohorts, claiming that all the worlds trouble lie in social programs not from tax laws that favor the already rich. So it must be all those treaties with "those" people that is spoiling America. Its all unAmerican

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 14:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I'd honestly never heard of the Codex Alimentarius,

Wow, the Codex Alimentarius is real?

I'd seen the name bandied about in the debates over the FSMA, but I'd just assumed it was another one of the Fictional Conspiracies With A Latin Name the tinfoil hat brigade love to obsess over.

Honestly, the bureaucrat at the UN who chose that name needs to spend a week hanging out with teahadists, that was a HUGE mistake.

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 15:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No kidding. It almost sounds like something you'd find on a shelf next to the Necronomicon. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 16:14      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, they formed in 1963, so it's not like those particular anti-government psychos existed yet. There's a good chance whoever came up with the name is dead by now, too.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 17:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Local vs Federal Laws. For years Michigan processed meat laws were the toughest in the nation, if it was not up to Michigan law it could not be sold in Michigan. Then the out of state Hotdog producers pushed the ICC Interstate Commerce Commission to make Michigan allow imported meats that were not Michigan Grade. Starting the great hot dog wars, Thirty years later some stores still have a meat cooler labeled "Michigan Made Michigan Grade". Some meat producers still advertise that there product is Michigan Grade. I do not buy processed meat that is not done in Michigan. It is one notch below Kosher,

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture