homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Modern Sufferage Movement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Modern Sufferage Movement
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 03:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if 22% of adults(18 and up) in a country did't have the right to vote. Should they have this right?

None of these people have ever committed a felony. Most are very well educated and specialzed. Many were born in said country.

What, though, if they did not have citizenship? My country will vote on this soon ( direct democracy, not our parliment). Looks like it will fail 40% to 60%.

Even as a non-citizen , I don't know what side to take. Many people will live their entire lives here, and never have the right to vote. ( blood not where you were born dictates citizenship in many european coutries. )

Even the passing of the 15th amendment in the US did not give sufferage to as large a percentage of the population as giving sufferage to non-swiss residents would here.

What do you think? Maybe these 1 in 5 of our population should have some say somehow in our government.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 03:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I think there are some more answers I need to give you yours. Does becoming a CITIZEN give a person full rights and protections? Are these people on guest VISAs?

____ To me there is a big difference between Resident/Citizen.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 03:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ I think there are some more answers I need to give you yours. Does becoming a CITIZEN give a person full rights and protections? Are these people on guest VISAs?

____ To me there is a big difference between Resident/Citizen.

I cannot imaging that one would not have full protections as a no-citizen, maybe non-citizens don't get social security despite paying into it, but I don't know.

Gaining Citizenship does give you more rights other than the right to vote(and we vote alot being a direct dem.). I am limited in the amount of property I can own , I can own 1 and it must be my primary residence. Your children will get swiss citizenship if you gain it, which if yuo are not of teh EU, thourgh bilaterall agreements, basically give you the rightto live and work anywhere in the EU. Swiss banking laws differ for citizens and non-citizens. It is much harder to get extridited ( see Roman polanski case, doesn't really aplly to me though).Plus others.

Male residents and citizens are requierd to serve in the fire brigade ( especially chemists). male citizens but not residents are required to serve in the military.

Most are on guest visas that need to be renewed every year. after 5 years of beign able to renew it every your you get a guest visa that needs renewal every five years. Getting your VISA is usually very easy and just the formal practice of your employer saying you are employeed and needed.

Basically 20% of the population are residents and not citizens.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 06:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, I can see your plight but as an outsider there is not much you can do. Then if you were to become a Citizen, you could most certainly complain about the policies.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2010 21:00      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Mr. Ash!

Do not worry about the vote law. Worry about the citizen law!

Change that!

The Swiss are funny people. Very Funny! They are proud of their Democracy, yes indeed! You know what that got them!

500 YEARS OF BROTHERLY LOVE AND DEMOCRACY!

Have a great laugh!

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2010 02:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll it stays the way it is, but I did learn that in many western cities here that residents without citizenship are allowed to vote in local elections.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture