homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Big Brother does exist!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Brother does exist!!
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 18:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____Big Brother does exist!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704865104575588803958385376.html

____ And now we know where the Tax Money goes

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704506404575592900454547226.html

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 20:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
And now we know where the Tax Money goes

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704506404575592900454547226.html

That's a remarkably biased list. All the defense budget items are separated out, which causes it to appear as though the military costs far less than many other things which were added as single items.

The graphic from this site (flash requred, unfortunately) is a lot better. It not only makes it much easier to see how much goes where, it includes more detail.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2010 03:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GS, any set of figures can be manipulated to show the goal of the accountant. COOK THE BOOKS.

____ For years the state of Michigan, on the back page of the Mi1040 filing booklet had two pie charts, one showing where the money came from and one showing where it went, pretty distressing news.

____ I also found this chart.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/us_budget_pie_chart [shake head]

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2010 13:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, US military spending is the single biggest budget category, at 24% of the total.

For comparison, in oz it's the 5th biggest, at about 7%.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2010 14:39      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fighting meaningless wars and destabilizing world peace is expensive.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2010 15:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I am very concerned about how much Banks in this country know about us, except for the Amish.

____ Yes there is a ton of hatred world wide from our country being prosperous, very much like envy. Then the Pirates out in the Indian Ocean.

____ Nobody else seems to be stepping up to the plate.

____ And I just have to include this.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/how-obama-saved-capitalism-and-lost-the-midterms/

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2010 21:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Yes there is a ton of hatred world wide from our country being prosperous, very much like envy.

I'd disagree with that.

Ever find yourself cursing the bastard who parked his Hummer diagonally across 3 parking spaces?

That's not envy.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 00:25      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[qb] Yes there is a ton of hatred world wide from our country being prosperous, very much like envy.

I'd disagree with that.

There are a few countries that are more prosperous than the US, and they don't like you either, so I would suppose your supposition is flawed and needs rework.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 03:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, exception noted, Americans do tend to push the world around, however some here feel we bailed France out twice in the last century.

____ At policy towards other States we suck.

____ We had to defend Berlin until E. Germany fell apart.

____ So in some ways we fell like the aunt or uncle that loaned money to a niece or nephew.

____ TFD, not that case however a Canadian Double parked, and was quite offended when I asked him to move his Lincoln Town Car. I implied to him that he did not have to, I could move for him.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 05:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TFD, not that case however a Canadian Double parked, and was quite offended when I asked him to move his Lincoln Town Car.

Nice try MoMan, but everyone knows there's no such thing as 'Canadians' - they're just a myth Americans invented so they could stitch that silly made-up flag to their backpacks when they go travelling.

< /troll >

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 05:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Okay, he was a freaking Canuck!!!

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 08, 2010 14:10      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OI! Thats well bad commentary coming from the penal colony in oz.....

We Canadian pride ourselves on Poutine, maple syrup and bacon... All this leads into a rather tasty concoction known as The Angry French Canadian. All of the Artery Clogging Goodness you've come to know and love. This baby puts the KFC Double Down to shame.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQX2kC1jUB8

lets see an Aussie or American top that

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 14:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
macmcseboy wrote:
...a rather tasty concoction known as The Angry French Canadian...

Paula Deen would call that health food

I present 2 sticks of butter and 2 ounces of cream cheese, breaded and deep fried

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 16:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:

I'm a Scot, we invented the Deep Fried Mars Bar.

-

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 17:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I was at an eatery that had deep fried IceCream, I had to try that, I think they forgot to take it out of the carton, tasted like cardboard.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 17:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
macmcseboy wrote:
...a rather tasty concoction known as The Angry French Canadian...

Paula Deen would call that health food

I present 2 sticks of butter and 2 ounces of cream cheese, breaded and deep fried

Hmm...and people wonder where the idea of obesity in America comes from... [Wink]
(oops!!)

As to mmb's link...eww...
I was mildly on board for the first bits of it - baguette French toast with bacon actually looks pretty damned tasty to me. The rest...no thanks, I like my arteries stent-free! I've tried poutine...I can only enjoy a few forkfuls, and then it's much too much.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2010 18:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really shouldn't be reading this thread while having an apple for lunch...

No challenge to the Angry French Canadian, but one of the more unusual items of aussie cuisine is the Pie Floater

A meat pie, drenched in tomato sauce, floating in a bowl of thick pea soup.

Found only in the state of South Australia, the rest of Australia suspects it's like the drop bear and Canadians, a hoax to fool gullible outsiders.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 06:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add a side of broccoli and cauliflower to the pie floater and you have managed to combine virtually every food I hate into one meal.

*shudder*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 07:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Actually that sounds good, and for desert some haggis.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2010 07:43      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but deep fried Oreo's will still be my food of choice for clogging my arteries.
Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture