homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Is it freedom of relegion, or freedom from relegion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it freedom of relegion, or freedom from relegion?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 03:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I was sent a link to this You Tube page. I guess this could turn into a civics class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8GWwgjZhnM

____ Comments anyone.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 09:32      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL.

"Enforces Sharia law" my ass.

If by "enforce Sharia law," you mean throw a bunch of hecklers out of a privately organized event. Sorry, but if you show up with hamburgers at my vegetarian festival, I'm gonna ask you to leave. And if you don't I'm gonna call the cops and have them make you leave.

It's just a bunch of stupid people behaving badly. Maybe instead of harassing people for practicing other religions they could have their own festival or something.

Oh look, they do.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 09:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were asked to leave. That's almost like being arrested, right? And that justifies the last third of the video being filled with random idiots claiming that they would be arrested if they gave out Christian literature.

Pure, unadulterated BS.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 10:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Now, Now, Now. We have to understand the logic of a conservative, if you do not pray the same way as they do, then you are heathen.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 10:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how they'd react if Muslims showed up outside their church and started handing out passages from the Qur'an.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 10:22      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Now, Now, Now. We have to understand the logic of a conservative, if you do not pray the same way as they do, then you are heathen.

Did you manage to type "logic" and "conservative" together like that with a straight face?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 08:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ fs, YUP.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 13:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't watched the video yet, but it's obvious the whole story is being spun to promote particular viewpoints, considering it only seems to show up on conservative sites. The "Sharia Law" part is just the beginning of the obviously untrue claims.

On the other hand, I also would not put it past police officers to overstep their bounds and arrest people who were actually within their rights. It's happened before.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 16:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sxeptomaniac:
I also would not put it past police officers to overstep their bounds and arrest people who were actually within their rights. It's happened before.

This is very true, but nobody was arrested. They were told they were creating a disturbance and had to leave and they did.

The part where they claimed they'd be arrested for handing out religious literature was just some BS they added afterwards to make it sound more controversial.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 21:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like they might have been arrested for disorderly conduct:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100712/METRO/7120412/1361/4-missionaries-charged-in-Dearborn-festival-proselytizing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eT5DeKLttU&feature=related

This still sickens me - I've heard some of this 'enforcing sharia' crap from other people before. These guys were supremely obnoxious, and asked to leave for such reasons. Meanwhile, if the tables were turned, I bet these fine upstanding Christians would 'not react well' to be proselytized.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2010 05:19      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dream is that the far right becoming crazier will make it more likely that this poison gets flushed from US politics. The November elections will be one of the most important midterms in recent memory. Erbo thinks the Democrats will take a hammering, let's just hope he is very disappointed.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2010 06:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Callipygous, Think about American politics as a pendulum, it swings both ways. Right now it is swinging wildly, four years ago it was way over to the right, and appears that it has gone to its left limit, damn I hope it stops in the middle. Neither side is totally correct, I prefer that it hangs like a stopped parlor clock.

____ I know that is not going to happen.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2010 08:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
It looks like they might have been arrested for disorderly conduct:
]http://www.detnews.com/article/20100712/METRO/7120412/1361/4-missionaries-charged-in-Dearborn-festival-proselytizing

It turns out that I was wrong and they were arrested. I didn't notice the date on an article that I read about David Wood causing problems at the festival... seems he pulled the same stunt in 2009, but wasn't quite obnoxious enough to get himself arrested.

Looking at your link, I see this:
"The encroachment of the First Amendment is just astonishing," said Muise, who said police confiscated the video cameras and have yet to return them, despite repeated requests.

So... how did they upload the video to the internet if the police took the cameras and have yet to return them?

Not that I'm surprised about a lawyer lying, mind you, but shouldn't he at least try to make the lies believable?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2010 08:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GrumpySteen Conservatives, will believe anything

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2010 09:45      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
So... how did they upload the video to the internet if the police took the cameras and have yet to return them?

Not that I'm surprised about a lawyer lying, mind you, but shouldn't he at least try to make the lies believable? [/QB]

They may have had some people who took video with another camera, or just a cellphone, after the cops showed up... it's hard to say if there's lying about the cameras or not.

Still, I don't see any reason to believe that first amendment rights were violated, given some of the links I read above. There was apparently a location and means by which they would have been allowed to distribute literature, but stopping people in the middle of any festival is against some local statutes. Taking that into account, my guess is that they won't get very far in fighting what will probably just be a fine. This probably isn't the last we'll hear of "enforcing Sharia law," though.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ GrumpySteen Conservatives, will believe anything

The far right conservatives of this type will believe whatever they want to believe. I know plenty of conservatives that will address facts and ignore crap like the above. However, there are, unfortunately, a good number of very vocal conservatives who believe stuff like this: "Frankly, I do not believe most of what I read on the Internet. Nor do I believe what I read on Snopes, Wickipedia or what I hear on NBC,CBS, ABC, or even Fox. What I do believe is what I feel in my heart. Pure and simple." (Actual quote from an unnamed far right conservative) As a result, they are more than happy to swallow up stupid chain emails while rejecting widespread news, because if it doesn't resonate with their preconceived notions, they don't "feel it in their hearts."

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2010 10:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I have got to believe that the tittle was chosen to start a flame war.

____ I am still unsure if youtube is a curse on the human race.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture