homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » The difference between the USA and UK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The difference between the USA and UK
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2009 17:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both countries speak (almost) the same language, so sometimes people forget just how different the USA and UK are...

-
In God We Trust.

-
Charles Darwin.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2009 18:09      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess having Darwin on the note explains why it is called a specimen? [Razz]
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2009 18:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Halfvast, over here we believe in god we trust, over there they have a Health Care System that works.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fibonacci
Maximum Newbie
Member # 29869

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2009 21:18      Profile for Fibonacci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever read "Waiting for the Knock", by Richard Stallman?
http://www.stallman.org/knock.html

In spite of that, I still prefer Darwin to the Bible god.

Posts: 10 | From: BogotŠ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2009 10:37      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the real difference is that you Brits glorify a man who's cousin basically invented eugenics?. YOU HATE MONGERS!

I think the biggest difference that irks me is that in America "soccer" is still a less popular sport. Its catching on, though. My team actually won the championship this year. GO REAL SALT LAKE! Also, GO WEST HAM!

Oh, and in England, you have alot of good skinhead rock and ska bands, whereas over here, "skinhead" is a bad word, and good ska bands are hard to find. RIP JUDGE DREAD.

I can't be mad at England.. You guys gave the world the Small Faces, Judge Dread, skinhead culture, Depeche Mode, Morrissey, Rod Stewart, Superyob, and so much more.. [Smile]

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2009 10:58      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bull3t; don't get yourself into trouble. Skinhead is a term frowned upon in polite British discourse.

Also, you might want a refresher on the difference between England and Britain. Rod Stewart would certainly never describe himself as English. I'm pretty sure Morrisey would also be upset, but then he's always whining about something, isn't he? [Wink]

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 07:24      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me, forgive me..

Especially to MOZ, who I forever have a man crush on.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2010 15:20      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's an excellent point to what you posted, TFD. Specifically: American currency looks BORING.

It's basically a monochrome design; the addition of new background color washes to the $5, $10, and $20 notes helps a bit, but the portraits and pictures are still monochrome...nothing like that gloriously-colored hummingbird-and-flowers on the tenner you posted.

Same thing with Euro notes, which I've seen and handled, as I made sure Pamela was supplied with some before she left for Finland. Even though they have just abstract windows and bridges on them, they're still way more colorful...and they have the added feature of being different sizes for different denominations. (How well that works out in practice, I don't know.)

Ah well, one may hope...

(Incidentally, don't those ten-pound notes still say "Elizabeth II, D.G. Regina"? That is, "Elizabeth II, by the grace of God, Queen"? Or did they take that off? I can't tell from the teeny little images on the Bank of England's Web site.)

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2010 15:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
There's an excellent point to what you posted, TFD. Specifically: American currency looks BORING.

Quite agree, most boring banknotes ever.
Looks like cheap monopoly-money.

quote:

(Incidentally, don't those ten-pound notes still say "Elizabeth II, D.G. Regina"? That is, "Elizabeth II, by the grace of God, Queen"?

Nope. (large, slow loading image)

You may be thinking of the coins...
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2010 17:10      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other difference in the notes is that pound notes also vary in size so that they're easier to use when you're partially sighted (same with UK coins too).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2010 18:16      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As many of you will know by now, I am happy to be labelled as a tree-hugging lefty and, as such, I have no real sense of patriotism...everybody has to be born somewhere and the "where" is completely arbitrary.

BUT...I do think that English banknotes are amongst the best designed in the world. The previous iteration was very good, but the current designs are streets ahead of anything else I have seen.

And it is not just our banknotes - a recent revision of the design of our coins is quite stunning.

And the nicest thing is that these designs were produced on a mac - there was a specific article in MacFormat magazine but I cannot find it online  -

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2010 18:52      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

And the nicest thing is that these designs were produced on a mac - there was a specific article in MacFormat magazine but I cannot find it online [

Which reinforces my argument that Macs are used by people who want to make money [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2010 06:08      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the redesign of the British coinage is nice, it would be a bit more practical if it had numbers on. "5" is a lot easier to understand than "Five" for non-native speakers.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2010 08:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
While the redesign of the British coinage is nice, it would be a bit more practical if it had numbers on. "5" is a lot easier to understand than "Five" for non-native speakers.

excellent point, when I was living in america, the best job my wife cold find with her education was as a bank teller (not that a bank teller job is a bad job,just that it does not require a university degree). anyways the night before she was to start I found out that she didn't know the difference beween a nickle and a dime (she is not american). She thought she could just look at the nuber on the coins to tell them apart and I told her that doesn't work. well then I informed her the differences and she was saved an embarassing first day.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2010 13:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the counterpoint from an American perspective is that 'colorful' money looks like Monopoly money, and we like our greenbacks. A briefcase full of colorful money just looks silly in a grizzly crime flick. [Wink]

The back of the new $5 is just plain nutty. :/

I suppose the new bills are clever and interesting, but I really don't need my money to be interesting...just useful. [Smile] (OTOH, I've taken to getting some $2 bills from my bank - kinda handy, and they surprise people at times. Fortunately, I've yet to receive a 'that's not real money' reaction from anyone.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture