homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Have Republicans turned America away from God? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Have Republicans turned America away from God?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2009 05:51      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
One only hopes that his internal contradictions are mirrored in the Republican Party itself, and that the constituent parts of the axis of evil, the movement conservatives and the religious right fall apart.

I don't think that they'll fall apart entirely, but I do think that they are going to continue to lose influence. Right now, I think there's a hole in the available options for the economic conservatives that traditionally associated with the Republicans. I think that if the Republicans continue catering to the extremism of the religious right, eventually those middle-of-the-road Republicans are going to go over to the Democrats because they'll be tired of being left out in the cold by a party that no longer serves their interests. Right now is an ideal time for a split in the Republican party, but we're too locked into the idea of a two-party system for that to happen.

I hate the whole two-party system. I hate how it encourages the black and white with-us-or-against-us mentality, and takes to absurd extremes the idea that if one party supports something the other must, by default, oppose it.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2009 11:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Right now, I think there's a hole in the available options for the economic conservatives that traditionally associated with the Republicans. I think that if the Republicans continue catering to the extremism of the religious right, eventually those middle-of-the-road Republicans are going to go over to the Democrats because they'll be tired of being left out in the cold by a party that no longer serves their interests.

I don't think the economic conservatives are the ones most likely to desert the Republicans, (it's not too hard to come up with a platform that will keep them happy while placating the bible-nutters), I think it's the Freedom Conservatives (aka Libertarian Republicans).

For years, the Republicans have claimed to be the party of individual freedom, but in reality they've been pandering to the religious right's fascination with other people's bedrooms, bookshelves, TV screens, and hospital rooms. Eventually, it's the Freedom Conservatives who will realize that the Democrats are the party most likely to leave them alone to live their own lives.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2009 14:36      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand the religious right have plenty to be dissatisfied with. All their hot button issues are electoral poison, particularly with younger voters. Just consider the fallout from Proposition 8. They must realise sooner or later that while they may be tossed the occasional bone to keep their support, the Republican Party will just only pay them lip service, and will never, for example, drive forward significant abortion law "reform".

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2009 01:49      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about the religious right, though, is while the rank and file tend to be convinced of their own importance, at the higher echelons, most of the people (who may or may not actually believe what they promote) recognize that by themselves with their platform of Christian zealotry, they'll be just as marginal an influence on American politics as, say, the Green Party. In order to maintain any hope of actual power, they need to hold onto a major party.

The thing about economic conservatives is that the Republican party currently doesn't serve their needs at all, and they used to be the prime constituents. There are plenty of Republicans that are unhappy with the direction Republican leadership took the country, too. That's partly, I think, why Sarah Palin was such a poor choice of running mate for McCain. The Republicans were never going to lose the vote of the religious right. The religious right is smart enough to know that a non-Republican non-Democrat candidate doesn't stand a chance, and they sure as hell weren't going to vote Democrat. All it did was alienate the Republicans that don't feel the aim of their party should be morality legislation.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture