homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » I just want to cry ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just want to cry ...
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 17:35      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Cincinnati, Ohio:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090124/NEWS01/301240013

In Portland, Oregon:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2009/01/portland_police_respond_to_dow.html

Let's all thank God and the NRA that kooks in the United States of America have the constitutional right to shoot little girls.

And let us be just as thankful that the NRA believes that these poor babies had no rights at all.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 18:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________ CP __ I understand your pain, I also understand that hand cannons can be miss used. So where do you draw the line in the sand. Here at the Hill-Top we still have bear in the woods, and other vermin, that you would not want to be unprotected around. Two months ago one farmers Bull got loose and was headed to the beef farmers barn to turn a heifer into a milk cow. For home protection I prefer a Remington 12 gauge pump for the MrsMoMan, myself the cross-bow or compound-bow. However I still have a hand cannon, 50cal.

I am sure you saw the news piece on the fools from Buena Vista and their Utube film shoming a Mac. and the fool was out on parole from a weapons violation.

I sure wish there was a truely viable solution.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2009 09:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo-Man,

Mandatory training. Certification for various fire arms.

Training by hard-assed ex Marine DIs, too.

Various levels for certification -- start with a .22 single shot long rifle and work up the proficiency scale.

Periodic re-certification.

Hand cannons require a lot of frequent work to keep proficient and should be certified in that manner.

No guns to crazy people, and mean it.

All the girls murdered were murdered by crazy people.

Just a few thoughts for starters.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2009 10:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________ CP __ I like your idea, and while we are at it lets set up the same for drivers, graduated permits. Any family with a newbee driver must display a Learner Tag on both the front and rear of a vehicle. Drunk driving convection a D tag.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2009 15:55      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds good, but still doesn't stop the criminals from getting weapons illegally. Still, if you have to have training (which really seems woefully inadequate as of today) to drive a vehicle, and special training to drive big rigs, buses and motorcycles, then you should also have to have certification/training for gun use/handling. Specific training and certification for each type of weapon owned/desired to be owned.

That, or mandate everyone carries a handgun.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2009 21:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from NY: It's my duty to hate guns, and be scared sh*tless of them. Despite my hatred of guns (I loathe the idea of weapons that allow one to indiscriminately kill without effort), I respect the 2nd Amendment, and recognize that it is an important part of our laws and reflects the ideas of our Founding Fathers. In this day and age, I'm not sure how effective personal firearms would be in standing up against a government that not longer speaks for you, but the idea is sound.

Over the weekend I was reading about our new junior senator - she's from upstate, hunts, and is favored by the NRA. That said, she's apparently also alright with gun control, and voted for an NY law denying gun purchases by individuals with mental illnesses. The latter gives me some hope, and I'd still like to see more gun control laws - I really don't like the idea of people buying guns at Walmart! However, I have to temper this with rational thought - anything can be used as a weapon - guns are simply faster and easier to use...but there's little reason to think a sufficiently fscked up individual won't use whatever gets the job done.

OTOH, I'd like to see a lot more restrictions and restraints on law enforcement w.r.t. guns. The Sean Bell ("the groom") shooting was atrocious, and it's an absolute disgrace that the officers are walking free.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2009 03:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ dragonman97 __ I have to agree withmost of the points expressed in this topic. I also am very aware of cops, (seems they usually don't like bikers) and how often have you heard of a cop being accidentially killed during an arrest?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2009 05:59      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Iowa, where hunting, fishing and country music are all overwhelmingly popular. My dad had guns, both my grandfathers had guns, my step-grandfathers had guns. My brother, my brother-in-law and my uncles all have guns. I understand and respect their reasons for wanting them, but I won't have them in my home.

I'm not saying we should ban personal firearms. I just think we need common sense on both sides of the issue.

• The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution is a little ambiguous about who, precisely, has the right to bear arms: the people, or the militia (police, national guard, and other public safety organizations). Read the text verbatim, with an open mind, and you might agree.

• Guns in the home, statistically, are more likely to be used against a member of the family than against an intruder. Accidents and mistaken identity can lead quickly to tragedy.

• I won't deny someone a handgun for their personal safety and hunting. But I don't think the average citizen needs fully-automatic or assault-type weapons. If I ever see a deer packing an AK-47, I might change my mind on this point.

• Yes, criminals can get guns illegally, but (1) that doesn't mean that tough laws shouldn't be in place to prosecute those who do, and (2) that doesn't mean we need to have a miniature arms race to keep up with the criminals.

• If the public should have weapons for personal protection against those who might obtain them illegally, where do we draw the line? Automatic weapons? Assault rifles? Hand grenades? RPGs? Plastic explosives? Ballistic missiles? Nuclear weapons? Where exactly do we cross the bounds of common sense?

• I have to register my car, my truck, my dog, and my cat with the city, county, or state. This helps law enforcement track down the owner and family in case of loss, theft, accident, or if (the vehicle) is used in a crime. Why similar registration of weapons is offensive to the gun lobby is a little confusing to me.

These are some of my personal reasons for my personal decisions. Again, I'm not proposing a ban on personal firearms. But I do think we need to balance personal pride with public safety.

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2009 16:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ TheMoMan Here __ Checking in angry as #$^^ The City of Bay City Mi. runs their own power department. They in effect killed a 93 year old WWII vet. by throttling his electric usage. He froze to death. The Mayor thinks that the City can not be sued, as it is a Government, the County prosicuter thinks other wise claiming gross disregard for human life. The poor man froze alone in his house of sixty years.

The for profit power companies in Mi. can not do the same as the City did, they are bound by The Public Service commision, but not Cities. The State Att. Gen. is taking a bill to the State Leg. to make all power providers in Mich. follow the same rules, yeah right after this man freeses.

So we have to look out for Cops, kooks, and power department workers, how many other ways can we be offed?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

deathweaver
Geek Larva
Member # 24253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2009 07:41      Profile for deathweaver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm going to chime in here. I was born and raised in southern Arizona. The majority of my friends owed weapons. In Arizona, it's legal to carry a gun in public provided the gun is in plain sight at all times. With the proper permits, you are legally allowed to carry and conceal a gun.

Yes, you heard that right, there are people in Arizona walking around with a gun that's concealed, and it's legal for them to do so. If you look at crime statistics, Arizona has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation after accounting for population. Coincidence? Maybe, or maybe most criminals are smart enough to know that you don't want a rob a convenience store when the guy behind you has a 45.

The point of all this? "If you make all guns illegal, only criminals will have them". I agree that we need to have better training and certification classes for gun ownership. I also agree that better common sense laws will help our law enforcement. But I still believe that the 2nd Amendment was created for a specific purpose, to allow the public to protect themselves from a tyrant government and for self-defense.

Posts: 24 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2009 09:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
deathweaver wrote:
there are people in Arizona walking around with a gun that's concealed, and it's legal for them to do so. If you look at crime statistics, Arizona has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation after accounting for population. Coincidence?

Only two states (well, two states and one district) in the U.S. don't allow concealed carry permits... so yeah... coincidence.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2009 19:58      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a CCW holder gut-shooting a 10 year old baby girl at a Halloween Party.

Trick or Treat!

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090130/NEWS0107/901300386/1055/NEWS

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2009 22:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:

<gun-nut>
If those ten year old kids had been packin' heat, they could have defended themselves!
</gun-nut>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2009 02:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ TheMoMan again __ On this page is a vidio of the Bay City Manager trying to duck the question of who is responsable for killing a 93yr old WWII Medic.

http://www.wnem.com/news/18566890/detail.html

How do we as humans make sense of the world?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2009 06:42      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:

<gun-nut>
If those ten year old kids had been packin' heat, they could have defended themselves!
</gun-nut>

That should cure the crime spree right there -- masked little monsters running around the neighborhood at night with guns, shaking people down for candy and crack money.

I think we're getting somewhere with this.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2009 06:46      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____________________ TheMoMan again __ On this page is a vidio of the Bay City Manager trying to duck the question of who is responsable for killing a 93yr old WWII Medic.

http://www.wnem.com/news/18566890/detail.html

How do we as humans make sense of the world?

Let's see, we have a guy who admitted to stealing billions sitting pretty in a New York penthouse, while we're freezing innocent people out of their homes and killing them.

Could take some time to scrub the Bush values out of our society.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2009 07:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________ THEMOMAN HERE AGAIN __

Is it time to open season On Republicans?

Is it time to change the party mascot to a Hog at the trough?

Is it time to change the SEC laws so that High rollers get real serious income taxes?

Is it time to open season on CEOs?

Is it time to open season on lawyers?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 31, 2009 15:32      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we need crazy people to have guns. all you sane people won't have the guts to fight the government when FEMA takes over.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture