homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » The Big Picture... Obama's Inauguration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Big Picture... Obama's Inauguration
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted January 23, 2009 09:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fantastic collection of photos here:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/01/the_inauguration_of_president.html

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 09:59      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super link, great photos.

The former jock in me just loves the foresight of getting a picture of Juan Carlos and Tommy Smith hugging as President Obama is sworn in.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 10:14      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was there and no one took my picture. [Frown]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 10:29      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful!

I didn't realize President Obama (Oh I just love saying that!) was a lefty....

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 12:12      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few thoughts without order:

The world expect much from Obama; can he deliver?

Barack and Michelle seems to be very much in love. Look how they look at each other on the ball photos.

So many people!

Why is everyone trying to capture images with their phones (sometimes images from a tv), when all the official footage will be on the Internet within minutes? Are they afraid they won't remember they were there? Wouldn't they rather show the good quality images over the bad ones when showing it to their grandchildren, saying "I was there"?

You'd think the presidential couple would have taken dancing lessons before the ball... (They're not holding right - photo #46.)

Photo #42: is it me or the new official portait is overexposed compared to the other ones? (It wouldn't be some trick to have the new president look whiter, would it?)

MacD: are you sure you're not on photo #3?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2009 14:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
The world expect much from Obama; can he deliver?

He already has.

quote:
President Obama: (after signing Executive Order)
I can say without exception or equivocation that the United States will not torture

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 08:25      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:

MacD: are you sure you're not on photo #3?

I'm sure since I didn't make it into D.C. I was stationed at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia in case riots broke out. Since there was a record number of people and the more people the larger the chance of people forming mobs. And (Nothing against him) but he is black and we do have hate groups in the country (KKK, Neo-Nazies) so there was a potential of something happening. So we where there to keep the peace if something did happen.

We got called to go since my unit did civil disturbance training last summer for the RNC here in St. Paul. We got 24 hours notice before we flew down there. My work was not to happy about that lol.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2009 14:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like nobody wanted to miss the big event [Eek!]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 08:00      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
It looks like nobody wanted to miss the big event [Eek!]

It was a bird. Slow it down and see the wings flap.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 25, 2009 11:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is super too, in case you missed it... mega pixel zoomable view...

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?auth=033ef14483ee899496648c2b4b06233c

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2009 15:44      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
This is super too, in case you missed it... mega pixel zoomable view...

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?auth=033ef14483ee899496648c2b4b06233c

More evidence of aliens in that photo too. Find Aretha Franklin (she's a few rows behind Bush), and you'll see a man with half a face and an alien spaceship disguised as a black hat floating in mid air. Maybe visitors from Krypton come to see their favourite son at his inauguration?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture