homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Political crisis in Canada

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Political crisis in Canada
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted December 02, 2008 07:49      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am more than a bit surprised that no other Canadian raised this question before. After all, this is going to make history: it is highly likely that we will have our first coalition government ever.

Harper tried to push irresponsible, even antidemocratic ideas on bluff (hoping other parties wouldn't work together and wouldn't want to go back into election), and it didn't work. For the non-Canadians, the main points in case are the end of public financing of political parties (put into place to replace financing from companies and lobbies); removing the striking rights for salary reason to public servants (who are pretty much all in negotiation) for three years; cuts in many investments and perequation payments (that's the redistribution of wealth from one province to the other - one of the basis of Canada as we know it), and no reinvestments in cultural fields that were cut before, although they had promised otherwise; and close to no investments to face the economic crisis.

So now, he tries all he can to avoid his government to be overturned: he called back the most unpopular measures, delayed the vote on the proposis, delayed the opposition time (the Liberal Party could have proposed a mistrust motion), and even threatens to suspend all procedures until January. And then, he claims that a coalition governement (he is in a minority situation) would be anti-democratic.

I don't know what other think, but I think this would, actually, be the most democratic thing to do right now: defeating a government working against the will of the population. Although I would love to know how someone could think "the population didn't vote for a coalition government; so they have no right to take control of the Parliament".

How is a vote for a different party much more different from a vote "against" the main one? Only 34% (IIRC) of the population voted for the current government - if the other parties can work together (and it's not that much of a stretch: they are all more to the left than the ruling party), put their divisions aside to work on their rallying points, aren't they doing the will of the majority of the canadian population? And thus, don't they have a greater right to rule than the actual government?

Anyone else has an opinion on the matter?

(Considering the subject, I have to add that this is my personnal opinion, and does not represent in any way the opinion of my employer.)

Little edit: a summary can be found at this New-York Times' page.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 02, 2008 08:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a coalition government would be fantastic. It's what I hoped for prior to the election, and the way a Parliament should work when the minority government loses the support of the House.

We don't vote for a Prime Minister in Canada. We vote for a person who belongs to a party, then the leader of the party who has the confidence of the House becomes PM. If it takes a coalition, that's all good.

Mag Valour to Mr. Dion if he gets his portrait in the House of Commons. And it's been so much fun to see Harper squirm. Suddenly Canadian politics is fun! :-)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 14:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ Stereo & Snaggy __ Not sure if it means anything or is just a coincidence but lately I have been seeing US Border Control Vans here in N. Central Mi. We are two hundred miles from the Soo, and one hundred and Sixty from Sarnia. Are you expecting a lot of people fleeing?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 08:05      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Thanks for the attempt of discussion, MoMan, even though I doubt it is related. Otherwise, I am appaled at the lack of interest by canadian GCers. Is politics only interesting when it's in the USA?)

So I learn there is a petition going on, launched by an Albertan, against the coalition proposed by the opposition. It more or less states that the Canadians didn't vote for a coalition government, making the latter anti-democratic. This petition had over 27000 names on it, based on the article I read (probably more already).

I would be curious how many names would get one that states the following:

"We, canadian electors, state that a vote has the same value, no matter where or for whom it is cast. And thus, in accordance with the candian constitution, the majority of the members of the Parliaments shall decide who they trust to govern, regardless of their party or personnal allegiance, for the best of all the Canadians they represent."

It would have mine, for a starter.

(And I think that Harper should submit himself to a confidence/defiance vote, rather than try to flee his responsibility. This crisis can't get any resolution without that.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 18:32      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would not be the first Coalition government, The Great Coalition (1864-1867) was the first and The Union Government (1917-20) under Prime Minister Robert Borden was the second. Now, I have to say i did not vote for ANY of these boobies in charge of our country. I was disapointed by the election results, I always am. My vote never counts, as it never gets whomever i vote for in. I forsee us going back to the polls before easter. I wish Michaelle jean sould do her job and SACK the government and institute a provisional one until we can get our country back together... Canada has a travesty for a political situation....

those are my .02$ CAD

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 04, 2008 11:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's over, yet nothing is solved. A whole month and a half of nothingness. There will be no new economic decision, no help package, no nothin' because the session have been suspended.

Will Harper learn something from this whole mess? Will the coalition hold strong until then? Will we be sent into just another election, or will it be more of this same insanity? Stay tuned: you will get all the answers in January.

[shake head]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 04, 2008 11:48      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sheesh, I was really hoping the Governor General would say no to the prorogue (suspension of Parliament).

What a waste of time, and now a whole month of divisive politics. Gee thanks Steve. You could have stepped aside with a bit of honour, but nope. [Frown]

poop poop poop! [cry baby]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 11:56      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is she playing the pawn... she can without request dissolve this piss poor excuse for a government. She should read into her job description.... I have a feeling her predecessors would not have approved....

I think it's time I prepare to run off into the bush and become a hermit....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2008 12:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ macmcseboy __ I have to get my glasses checked I thought you wrote "Run off with Bush" I could not see you living in Texas. Stereo screwed up politics is just part of living in North America?

But then I look at what all is happening in the world, at least we are not trampling people here.

Governments seem to be out to protect them selves, not do the will of the people that elected them to office. Well if we do this we can get out of that.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 03:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Hi You Canadians __ So how intense are the conversations around the water coolers? I have read some of the news stories, but those are not stories from Canadian Papers what is the scoop?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture