homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Change.gov

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Change.gov
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2008 10:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting.
Change.gov

Either Obama or his advisors understand that the internet is good not just for campaigning, but for communicating with the people. I like this.

It's written in plain, straight-forward language, too, which I like and am not used to seeing from a politician.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2008 12:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Change.gov:

"Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe we must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in. Immediately upon taking office, Obama will give his Secretary of Defense and military commanders a new mission in Iraq: ending the war."

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

"The United States is trapped by the Bush-Cheney approach to diplomacy that refuses to talk to leaders we don't like. Not talking doesn't make us look tough – it makes us look arrogant.....Obama and Biden are willing to meet with the leaders of all nations, friend and foe. They will do the careful preparation necessary, but will signal that America is ready to come to the table......"

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

These are the two things I posted in answer to TFD's question about what would be your choice for Barack's first announcement. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2008 17:27      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Change.gov nearly brought tears to my eyes. I was just telling Mrs. Club this morning that one thing Obama could easily change is the current secrecy of the executive branch. Kudos to transparency, even if it does already have a bit of spin evident.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2008 20:15      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Change.gov nearly brought tears to my eyes. {snip} Kudos to transparency, even if it does already have a bit of spin evident.

I agree. It seems that Obama's so-called "charisma" really boils down to one simple thing: straight-forwardness. He just tells it like it is and that is a very refreshing change from the current administration.

I would say that the other ingredient in Obama's charisma is his message of hope. For 8 years now, politics in America has been dominated by messages of fear and doubt. Although there's always inherent spin in simple slogans, I will take "yes we can" any day over "the terrorists are out to get us."

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 10:30      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After going over that page there was one thing that particularly caught my eye and I'd like to get your thoughts on it.
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 13:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is they know that. My guess is we'll be maintaining some sort of temporary presence in Iraq indefinitely.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 14:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There must be something wrong with my computer, it failed to display the part where the Iraqi people get a say in this.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2008 14:23      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD - this is the relevant section:

"A phased withdrawal will encourage Iraqis to take the lead in securing their own country and making political compromises, while the responsible pace of redeployment called for by the Obama-Biden plan offers more than enough time for Iraqi leaders to get their own house in order. As our forces redeploy, Obama and Biden will make sure we engage representatives from all levels of Iraqi society—in and out of government—to forge compromises on oil revenue sharing, the equitable provision of services, federalism, the status of disputed territories, new elections, aid to displaced Iraqis, and the reform of Iraqi security forces."

Now you could interpret this as the US giving the Iraqis the freedom to do things the US way, or you could read it as an intention to help Iraq build a stable and credible future.

For now, at least, I choose to see the second meaning.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture