homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » If the world could vote...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If the world could vote...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 05, 2008 08:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://iftheworldcouldvote.com/

From the FAQ...
Who is behind this site?
Just three guys from Iceland. The site is independent from all political parties, companies or hidden agendas. It's just an idea a 22 year old guy in Iceland came up with and executed with a little help from a couple of friends.

Why are you doing this?
Just out of curiosity. The president of the United States is a powerful man, probably the most powerful person on the planet. So everyone seems to have an opinion on who should be the next president of the United States. We thought it would be interesting to see who would be the next president if the whole world could vote. It's also a challenge to try to beat the number of voters in the last US elections. So spread the news!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 09:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice one, Snaggs.

Just voted. Interesting idea. I had a look at patterns of support -- it's amazing how many European countries are so solidly behind Obama. Did you see that Iran had a (comparatively) sizable pro-McCain faction? Weird stuff.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 10:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting that site shows 82% support for Obama in the US. I hope that actually reflects how the election turn out, although I'm too pessimistic to believe it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 10:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The results of that entire map are skewed to the tech savvy. The US, for example, is polling out a 6-8 point lead for Obama.

I also thought it interesting that Macedonia is screaming red. I have no idea why Macedonians would favor one of our candidates over the other. All I could get from kreziserb on the matter was "they're a bunch of morons." But that's how he describes everyone in former Yugoslavia (his nation included) so I can't take that assessment too seriously.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 13:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

I also thought it interesting that Macedonia is screaming red. I have no idea why Macedonians would favor one of our candidates over the other. All I could get from kreziserb on the matter was "they're a bunch of morons." But that's how he describes everyone in former Yugoslavia (his nation included) so I can't take that assessment too seriously.

Albainians are red as well. remember Bush'es trip there a year back or so. Albainians had more access to the president in public then americans get.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 08:19      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's not much love lost for Russia in former Soviet Bloc countries. Given the recent Georgia-Russia issue, it's possible that those countires are weighing the likelihood of a McCain vs Obama administration to interfere militarily on their behalf. (Did American news even cover the Georgia-Russia thing, since it happened during the Olympics? The BBC certainly did, and the Swedish media. CNN International was all about that swimmer guy.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 08:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russia's invasion of Georgia was reported here. Some reports were more interesting than others.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 15:19      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to rain on the parade, but this is not a representative sample of the population within the US. I doubt it's going to be 83%-17% on election day.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2008 18:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on how many districts use Diebold's electronic voting machines...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2008 05:44      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
true Steen, but that would be 83-17 the other way.....

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture