homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Human breast milk ice cream

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Human breast milk ice cream
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 24, 2008 08:35      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love PETA. Now how would you even regulate this?

Burlington, Vt. - This morning, PETA dispatched a letter to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, cofounders of ice cream icon Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., urging them to replace the cow's milk in their products with human breast milk. PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves. PETA points out to Cohen and Greenfield that such a move on their part would lessen the suffering of dairy cows and their babies on factory farms and benefit human health at the same time.....

Rest of press release here: http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=11993

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 08:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to be one of the inspectors at the plant if they switch over. [evil]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 24, 2008 09:55      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PETA's message: "Animals deserve being treated humanly, so let's treat humans as animals!" (Do they seriously believe there would be enough breastfeeding mothers willing to sell their milk to provide for a major ice cream brand? And enough customers not disgusted by the very idea?)

Stay tuned! Next on PETA's agenda: replacing wool with human hair! [crazy]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 14:42      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This goes to show how nuts people who belong to PETA are. [crazy] If they believe that ice cream should be made from breast milk then they should make their own brand and see how hard it would be to get women to do this and how poorly it would sell. They should also sell their own milk, cheese and yogurt while they are at it too so they can have an epic fail.

Also why not ask them to use rice milk or soy milk instead. That way vegans could eat it too. Oh that's right, you can already buy non dairy ice cream.

This just proves that the people who run PETA are just a bunch of attention whores.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 17:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ Now dairy is something I know about. Once in a while the milking machine suction won't start the flow so you have to squeeze the teat to get it started any takers?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 18:16      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will never happen as long as this cat is on the job!
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 18:38      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this whole topic is insane, However I know of several women that would jump right on this bandwagon. My friends who nurse their children and have an overly active supply of milk, have been known to donate any "extra" to the neo-natal unit at Vanderbilt. Which is kinda creepy, but also kinda cool. However, eating it is another story all together! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2008 18:57      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no boob.

I think it's time to go right to the source.

Make mine a double.

I just want to warn this could lead down a perilous path to pasteurization.

Oh sure, it starts with titty juice -- but that it's the beginning Soon it's on to the harder stuff. (No, Spungo, not that) I'm talking titty ricotta, titty cream cheese, titty cheddar, and finally the really hard stuff, titty romano.

They're trying to hook you. So I advise grabbing this issue with both hands and sucking the life out of it before it sucks you!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2008 01:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh , which restaurant was that, and hurry with the responce, I am not eating out till I get an answer.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2008 10:43      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
uh , which restaurant was that, and hurry with the responce, I am not eating out till I get an answer.

According to the letter the restaurant is Storchen.

Edit: According to this video Storchen was banned from using breast milk, so no worries there.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2008 11:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by Colonel Panic:
...and finally the really hard stuff, titty romano.

"Titty Romano" - sounds like a pr0n star to me [Big Grin] [Razz]

I imagine Miss Titty Romano would look like Sophia Loren after a three night gin-binge and no sleep.....

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2008 03:36      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DUDE!! SWEET!

Breastmilk ice-cream!! I'm so on it.
Make mine a three scoops vanilla and no whipped cream or chocolate. This way I can enjoy the flavor.. Thankyouverymuch!

I have heard from Chinese (or was that Japanese?) restaurants offering breast-milk dishes for a premium price, but this PETA stuff is ridiculous. I would quit supporting the PETA.
In any case.
While breastmilk can be very good for humans, I wouldn't want to eat ice-cream made from hundreds of lactating women. Why?
Because some toxins actually do get into the milk and can harm those that drink it. That's why nursing mothers may not take certain drugs.

But, yes, I would very much like to sample and be quality inspector at the factory.

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2008 07:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the idea would ever fly because there's no way to monitor what the donors are ingesting. Cows and other milk-producing animals like goats and sheep are kept in controlled environments (as in, pastures and barns), their habits are known by the farmers, and their medications are carefully monitored. Not so with humans.

The other reason this would not fly is that humans produce so little milk that the supply could not keep up with the demand. Like someone mentioned earlier, humans would be turned into animals - valued only for their capacity and production.

Plus, like with other mammals, for humans to produce milk they need to give birth. That would increase the human population. What would the babies be fed? Milk replacers? Sounds very much like the dairy industry to me... [Confused]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2008 09:12      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:
originally posted by Colonel Panic:
...and finally the really hard stuff, titty romano.

"Titty Romano" - sounds like a pr0n star to me [Big Grin] [Razz]

I imagine Miss Titty Romano would look like Sophia Loren after a three night gin-binge and no sleep.....

You're right, Grum,

I think she put out a compelling performance with Buck Naked in "Dairy Queens of the Double-Dee Ranch".

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
PaintedBlue
Geek Larva
Member # 21999

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2008 14:46      Profile for PaintedBlue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, considering HIV infected mothers can pass the disease along to the children via breast milk, eating breast milk ice cream is a chance I wouldn't want to take.
*ew* [shake head]

--------------------
What binds us together is stronger than what separates us.

Posts: 27 | From: SE US | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2008 09:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pasteurization would fix that.

Actually, for HIV, just letting the milk sit at room temp for 30 minutes would probably be enough. Not a very stable virus, that.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2008 10:56      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya, I gave money to PETA about 20 years ago when I 1st went vegetarian. After they they did a few nutball things that went too far I stopped donating. They just keep getting more extreme every year. When I say I'm a vegetarian I don't want PETA to come to mind and get the response "oh you're one of those nuts"

quote:
Originally posted by DoctorWho:
This goes to show how nuts people who belong to PETA are. [crazy] .............

......This just proves that the people who run PETA are just a bunch of attention whores.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2008 12:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________ de TheMoMan __ No, No, No, Once the heifer has been bred and caved she will produce milk for a very long time, so what if the calf (or child) is weaned, keep pumping the milk out of the udder and she will keep making it. There are local "Mothers Milk banks" that work like food banks.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture