homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » For the good of the formus, please ignore ASM! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: For the good of the formus, please ignore ASM!
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 11:04      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not normally write something so vehemently pointed against a single person, but I feel that this situation has gotten completely and utterly beyond control. I am so very worried that this issue will ruin our wonderful home here on the Internet, so I must make a plea! Please read and weigh my arguments carefully.

The simple jist of it is that ASM is single-handedly ruining the forums and derailing every single thread that may have any seed of thought in it, turning them all into flame wars. By simply responding to him, acknowledging his existence, and trying to debate with him, you are playing right into his hand and letting him have the control he so craves. As I've said previously...

Just like the mean kids that made fun of you in school... IGNORE HIM AND HE'LL GET BORED AND GO AWAY! Let me clarify...

Ignoring his posts means that when you see a post written by ASM, you simply don't read it, don't acknowledge it, and pretend it doesn't exist thereby eliminating any chance of your inadvertently having an emotional reaction to it. Remember, his goal is to be so outlandish as to MAKE you have an emotional reaction, thereby exerting his control over you. When you respond to him, you are allowing him to exert this control over you!

Let me try explaining once again, just to make sure it's perfectly clear. When you see a post by ASM, skip over it, don't read it, and just simply continue on with the thread as if his post doesn't exist at all.

Our forums are being soiled and tainted by this excess of negative feelings. ASM's goal is to stir up these negative feelings in an attempt to turn us against one another. His joy comes from stirring our emotions and making people upset, pissed off, and unhappy. Many wonderful long-term members have left here because of all of this negativity.

Please, I beg you, before our beloved forums cave to ASMs will, before the troll gobbles up our forums and turns us against one another... please... please.. just ignore him!

Edit: And yes, I realize the horrible irony in making this post. I realize also that I am likely adding fuel to the fire, but I could no longer stand aside and watch the flames engulf the forums.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 11:25      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, dnm, hereby solemnly swear to ignore any and all ASM posts from here on out.

And to continue to attempt to get access to Cap'n Vic's ass pic stash.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 11:35      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK – As a recent abettor to ASM's behaviour, first, I'd like to apologize. Second, I've already started down this path. Last night I was going to post a reply in-general to ASM, but thought better of it and walked away (literally). Since then the beer buzz has worn off and I've realized that some people just can't be reasoned with, befriended, brought to see the light.

So, I pledge to follow my own good thoughts and your advice and avoid responding outwardly to ASM's posts.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 11:36      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok MMKK, while I haven't been responding to his posts, I promise I will not respond to his posts in the future and try to discourage anyone who does. I doubt we will get rid of him completely though. After all, he has been here a long time.

Edit: Removed because it was a derogatory comment and despite all that ASM does, we should show restraint.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 11:40      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMTA. Just thought I'd stick that where it was topical. I agree with you MMKK. It's the obvious solution, it just requires a bit of self-discipline.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 12:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ignore him, ne ver respond to him

but whereever this thread goes , do not censor him.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 13:05      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka,

I wasn't really all that serious about censoring ASM, hence the [Big Grin] . I think an example of right wing extremism is a good reminder of what's wrong with their beliefs. So while it would be hilarious, deserved, and well within Snaggy's rights (this board isn't a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship) I don't think it would be a good idea to actually put into practice.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 13:12      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNM: I'm with you on both counts! [Smile] Also, I must rightfully admit that it was one of your recent posts that inspired me to start this thread. Thank you.

Tweety: All former sins are forgiven, no grudge will be held. We all make mistakes. The real goal is to look into the future and try to make better choices in the future, and it seems you are certainly on the right path. [Smile]

CrawGator: Thank you for practicing restraint. On the topic of restraint, I want to point out that I don't want this to turn into a "bash ASM" thread; I simply want to point out the problem and ask everyone to participate in the only logical solution.

fs: Yes, self-restraint. Hard to do, certainly, but very required.

Ashitaka: Yup.

I think that the real key here is to make sure that you absolutely do not read his posts. We are human, not Vulcan, and as such we are emotional creatures. The best way, in my opinion, to overcome an emotional reaction is to simply prevent it from happening. In this case the best prevention is to simply not read the provocation.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 13:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. If you're a SuperFan, there's an option. [Wink]

I was certainly thinking about it as soon as I saw this, but wasn't sure about a nagging detail regarding public consumption, but that seems to be sorted out. Easier methods may become possible later in the day. (Roundabout answer: Go to the SuperFan forums.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 14:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, shun him -- shun him hard! Shun him like an Amish prostitute.

(I have no opinion on the matter... I just can't resist the opportunity to be fatuous. [Wink] )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 16:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you just wanted to use the words "amish" and "prostitute" in the same sentence.

You know I'm right. Admit it. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 17:17      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 17:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He just wants his butter churned. Is that so wrong?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 28, 2008 20:37      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
question, can i laugh, roll my eyes, and then just not respond? or do i have to actually not read him? [Big Grin]

and darn it d-man, that "ignore for super fans" thing is tempting, but i use safari.....

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 20:53      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shentzu:
question, can i laugh, roll my eyes, and then just not respond? or do i have to actually not read him? [Big Grin]

and darn it d-man, that "ignore for super fans" thing is tempting, but i use safari.....

Just plain ignore him, any attempt of reply may be taken as an offence by him and therefore begin a never ending loss of focus on said thread.
I must have that UserJS somewhere...
<Opera_fan>
It works in Opera.
</Opera_fan>
[Big Grin]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 21:37      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...and darn it d-man, that "ignore for super fans" thing is tempting, but i use safari.....

Creammonkey - Greasemonkey for safari. [Wink]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2008 22:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
quote:
...and darn it d-man, that "ignore for super fans" thing is tempting, but i use safari.....

Creammonkey - Greasemonkey for safari. [Wink]
In light of a recent post...that sounds really wrong. [Wink]

BTW, I tried it awhile ago and was seriously underwhelmed†. Also, a key component of the script wasn't supported by Safari - it uses XPath queries. I don't know if Safari supports that yet, but it certainly didn't at the time - and the UI was just utterly dismal. (It may work fine for simple scripts, but it's nontrivial to load the hack, nor to figure out how to get scripts into it.)

† Then again, that's how I feel about Safari in general. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 03:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I fully back what Richard Wolf IV said, as it seems that any response at all just gives him ammo (again, childish, pointless, paranoid-nutter ammo, but still ammo) to launch an onslaught attacking the responder and derailing the thread into a flame war.

IMHO, the best course of action is a complete refusal to accept his existence.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 06:49      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to dman, TFD, and DNM, I now have appropriate warning when perusing threads:

-

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 13:08      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I sensing a bit of a grassroots movement to improve everybody's GC experience?

1) MMKK suggests we ignore ASM. Works for me! I've been ignoring ASM for a quite a while now, and conducting my GC business as though he/it just wasn't there. I can't condone censorship of ASM though, as I believe that wouldn't be moral. We just need to remove any rewards ASM gets from starting/perpetuating pointless religio-political flame wars. Ignore the tantrums of spoiled children and either their behaviour improves or they leave the room. Either is fine.

2) fs has made an effort to return the content of GC to core geek themes. This I applaud as it is always much better to try and improve things than just carry on complaining. [Applause] [Applause] Problem is, as one of the least techie/geeky members of GC I might struggle to contribute to geeked-up forums. I may well have to resort to punning again! You have been warned. [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 13:13      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely come around more often without all the ASM-inspired flame wars.

Also:
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
 -

LOL! [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 13:46      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Problem is, as one of the least techie/geeky members of GC I might struggle to contribute to geeked-up forums. I may well have to resort to punning again! You have been warned. [Razz]

Nah, there's lots of ways to be geeky. You do just fine.

--------------------

shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2008 13:58      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Problem is, as one of the least techie/geeky members of GC I might struggle to contribute to geeked-up forums. I may well have to resort to punning again! You have been warned. [Razz]

Nah, there's lots of ways to be geeky. You do just fine.
ummm, wait, i thought punning was the ultimate in geekdom....

thank you for destroying my world view. [crazy]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2008 13:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I, dnm, hereby solemnly swear to ignore any and all ASM posts from here on out.

And to continue to attempt to get access to Cap'n Vic's ass pic stash.

I'll will the stash to you....speaking of which, its been a while since I've had a submission. If anyone cares to forward a pic along, feel free.
[Big Grin]

Whoa! My av is back! Shhhweet!

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 01, 2008 20:10      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an Observation: "ASM" appears 19 times in this thread (using a simple "find"). For as much as you talk about me, you have an _obsession_ about me. I don't feel like I'm being "ignored" at all.
[ohwell]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture