homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Christian Missionaries in Central America

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Christian Missionaries in Central America
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 12:10      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

As some of you know I've been away on business down here in Central America. My trip is nearing an end after having been here for 3 weeks.

Something I've observed in my time here are the Christian Missionaries that traipse through this hotel. More notably, this huge group that checked in a few days ago.

Now, I have nothing against religious organizations that are out to help/improve the lives of the less fortunate. What I have a problem with is what they're actually doing or not doing.

I did a Google on Christian Missionaries. After taking a look at a random few, it seems that for the most part they are raising money to either help a small village or help a child get an education that they otherwise would not be able to. In such cases, I find that commendable.

Now back to this group...

I'd say that this group numbered somewhere close to 50. I didn't bother to actually count how many there were, but they did take up most of the seats in the hotel restaurant.

I wonder what their purpose was in Honduras. Most of them wore matching t-shirts that have slogans such as "Leaving a Legacy" or "God loves you". From the looks of some of the participants, I don't think they're out to build churches, schools or wells. It didn't look like they brought with them needed supplies or clothing. They did, however, bring a guitar (or two) and colored chalk!

It makes me wonder what they're really doing here. Are they visiting different villages? Are they singing and playing with the kids? What sort of legacy are they really leaving behind? At the end of the day, they come back to the comforts of this big hotel. They don't look at all too weary, wearing their shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. They sport a rustic wooden cross around their necks while at the same time don their diamond rings or nice watches.

Bottom line is that I see this group as being a bunch of hypocrites. Just how are they helping the people of Honduras? A colleague commented that this is a "feel good" trip. And I agree. They're not really on a mission. They're really on a vacation under the premise that they're doing something good. They come back from making a child laugh and smile for one day to a comfortable hotel with air conditioning and an all-you-can-eat dinner buffet.

Anyway.. I guess this is a bit of rant, but it does bother me.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 12:31      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some just go to "spread the word" and convert the non-christians. Although it looks like the primary religion in Honduras is Roman Catholic. Most of these missionaries tend to be christian reformed organizations. So maybe they are trying to convert them to the "real" Christianity and save them before it is too late.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 14:03      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, then. I guess maybe they just do it in Honduras because it's too embarrassing to go knocking on doors and singing songs in their own neighborhoods.

In general people who can find nothing better to do with their lives than peddle their religion disgust me.

It's the easy way out; they could be digging wells or building schools or vaccinating kids, but instead they are singing some stupid songs and telling themselves how wonderful it is that when little kids die of malaria or whatever, they won't have to go to hell with all the unbaptized savages.

Of course there are people affiliated with various religions that do good work, but Mission Vacation Christians aren't among them. Sounds to me like a variation on the slum tours in developing countries.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 27, 2008 14:29      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
[QB] Kind of like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, then. I guess maybe they just do it in Honduras because it's too embarrassing to go knocking on doors and singing songs in their own neighborhoods.

i spent the morning at the local food bank sorting and stacking after gather 800 lbs of food from the church the SO (significant other) goes to. i have little stomach for people who spend money to go somewhere to "save souls."

if you want to convert someone, do enough good that they respect you enough to ask *you* about your beliefs.

.....not that it would help in my case, as i would just tell them to try being nice to each other for a change. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 14:49      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs - "peddle". Just sayin'. But I agree completely with the point you make.

IMHO, if you want to dig a well to help some people, and you do it out of a love of humanity, then that is fine. If the deal is "I'll dig you a well if you worship my god(s)" then that stinks. It stinks so much I don't understand why people can't see how evil, controlling, patronising and exploitative the majority of missionary work is.

</rant>

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2008 15:44      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Grum.

And I agree: If you do something to genuinely help others because your religion says that's what you should do, that's laudable. If you do something to "help" others with the expectation that they owe you one because of it, it's fundamentally self-serving, and dressing it up as selfless or charitable is just hypocrisy.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Antiquity
Geek Larva
Member # 20684

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 09:37      Profile for Antiquity   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christianity is an evangelical religon, so it does actually say in the bible about how Jesus said to his followers to preach to others.

So unlike other religious organisations such as Jehovahs Witnesses Christians actually do it as a part of following the suggestions JC made to his people.

However I still am always a bit cynical about how much good they actually do, condemning contraception in AIDs ridden africa anyone?

Posts: 27 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 10:01      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiquity:
Christianity is an evangelical religon, so it does actually say in the bible about how Jesus said to his followers to preach to others.

Right. But Jesus said to preach with their acts rather than with their words. Something along "be good unto each other, so that people around you will want to join".

(I was raised Christian, but it's the hypocrisy of the Church that killed it for me.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
shentzu
Geek
Member # 2253

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2008 14:13      Profile for shentzu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antiquity:

Jesus said a lot of things about love and peace too. damn shame the majority of christians can't choose *that* part of the bible to follow instead of the banging on doors part....

wasn't there a bible line about praying in the closet rather than on the street? something about private devotions rather than public? but i got rid of cable because i got tired of seeing those damn televangelists every time i turned on the godsdamnedbabblebox.

--------------------
Set a man by a fire and you keep him warm for a day, but set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 108 | From: here and there | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture