homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Fancy a little waterboarding?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fancy a little waterboarding?
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2008 17:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christopher Hitchens, the (IMHO quite obnoxious) right wing political commentator, finds out what it really feels like.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2008 17:26      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not with you on this one, Calli.

We need to keep waterboarding legal for the trials of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and, of course, ASM.

Once we get confessions from them that they are traitors (so we can hang them) we can try changing our interrogation techniques.

BTW, all these confessions will be verified by FISA-enabled wire taps on old righty.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2008 17:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd start freaking out as soon as I got laid down and tied up. Seriously. I had enough fun with not drowning while learning how to SCUBA dive. There's nothing more terrifying than inhaling water. Not even not being able to inhale anything.

It's strange how some of us can figure that out just by using our imaginations whereas others actually need the sensation to figure out that drowning is scary and shitty and distressing to the core. There's a panic reaction born out of not being able to breathe, deep and primal. You can't control it. And most of us experience that feeling at some point in our lives, mostly through incidents that are immediately followed by enrollment in swimming lessons. Hitchens himself admits that he'd felt the fear of drowning as a child. So why then would he be unwilling to admit that waterboarding is torture until it was done to him?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2008 17:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
So why then would he be unwilling to admit that waterboarding is torture until it was done to him?

I would say it's because he wanted to believe that the US wouldn't really torture others and that waterboarding really was just a simulation of drowning and that somehow that made it okay and not a horrifyingly inhumane activity.

Lots of people want to believe something so badly that they reject all facts and believe their delusions instead. The harmless ones dress up as anthropomorphic forest critters and spend their time yiffing. The dangerous ones hold publically elected offices.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 06, 2008 18:57      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Lots of people want to believe something so badly that they reject all facts and believe their delusions instead. The harmless ones dress up as anthropomorphic forest critters and spend their time yiffing.

Hey! [Mad] I may be a furry and perhaps have my own mental universe, but I don't want to be compared to politicians [Razz]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2008 19:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, do you believe, against all evidence to the contrary, that you aren't human? If you do then yes, I am going to consider delusional and suggest DNA testing to help clear up any doubts you may have.

From your behavior on the boards, however, I suspect you have a rather good grasp of reality and, while you may enjoy your fantasies, you don't confuse them with reality and endanger yourself and others.

Sadly, I cannot say the same for the current US government.

P.S. How the hell do you stay cool in those getups? I had a girlfriend at one point who liked teddy bears far more than I would have thought possible....

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 06, 2008 20:37      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's gonna take me a while to understand your post, I am not sure if you were talking about fursuits (I don't own one), plushophilia (I'm not into it), furry fandom in general (It's been a great experience for me so far) or the bashing I've taken relaxedly in these forums [Confused] If it's the latter, it may show I might not be human [Razz]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2008 22:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only the PS referred to fursuits. The rest referred to something you may not have encountered; a certain subset of furries who believe they are, in fact, an animal or mythical creature which has been either trapped or reincarnated into human form.

When you do encounter then, just nod politely and say "yes, I believe you really were a dragon/fairy in a previous life time" and change the topic to something more pleasant like what the best toppings are for pizza.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 06, 2008 22:53      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, pizza!

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2008 22:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mushroom, mushroom!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9322 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 05:29      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Christopher Hitchens, the (IMHO quite obnoxious) right wing political commentator, finds out what it really feels like.

Thanks for sharing, Calli. I don't generally agree with Hitchens, but I do respect that he's willing to question and explore his own views. I prefer to it to the bombastic he-who-is-louder-wins punditry that seems de rigeur these days. I don't imagine it's particularly comfortable being Christopher Hitchens.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture