homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Opinons requested about Dodd's little addition to housing bill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinons requested about Dodd's little addition to housing bill
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 10:56      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, just soliciting opinions on the little provision slipped into thehousing bill by the elected crooks, oh excuse me i meant politicians. I just saw blurbs about it today and went looking for more info.

This is targeted towards businesses and tax compliance, but in your opinion how long before they start using the data in other ways and how long before they start adding onto reporting requirements?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080620-paypal-rules-in-housing-bill.html

Any small to midlevel business owners here? How would this hit you?

Thanks
yaya

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 16:33      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya-Ya,

"They" already have the right to tap my phone and read my e-mail.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2008 17:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they already reported such things - honestly, there's no reason they shouldn't. Amazon reports your earnings if you make a lot on mturk, and there are other similar 'earning' systems that have tax components. People have to pay their fair share, and typically significant earnings are automatically reported to the government.

My peeve? If the government already has all your important tax data, why can't they just send you a pre-filled 1040 and ask you to sign off on it? (Best of all, do it electronically without using commercial middle-men.) There's really no reason why people should have to jump through hoops - if you want to get your return professionally processed, go for it - but let the majority of the people do it the easy way.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaidPhreak
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 13:56            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm...

The article says they nend to start filing "aggregate transaction reports"... and the processors are whining that it's an "incorrect premise that electronic payments foreshadow profits"

Ok... perhaps a bean counter out there could clarify: would not an aggreate report also be listing charge backs, discounts, etc, so the IRS WOULD be getting a true indication of revenues? (and it's revenues, not profit, that gets taxed anyway, regardless of what the quote above implies)

If they won't do the RIGHT thing and abolish the damn income taxes, they could at least ensure that everyone is in compliance. Not fair if those lucky enough to accept cards can hide their revenue more easily.

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture