homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Texas Republicans keep the faith

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Texas Republicans keep the faith
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 01:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Religious zealotry, racism, homophobia, and hatred all bound together by a depth of paranoia that only a drug induced psychosis can replicate.

Would you trust these people to run a bath?.

I only wish Hunter S. Thompson was still alive to write about these people - fear and loathing indeed.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 05:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What'd you expect, decency?

What I admire most was Barack Obama's speech on Father's Day. It was rife with statements which would be made by a decent republican candidate (if there were any). Things like personal responsibility, and hard work, etc.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 15:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From TFA:
...a complaint by a Kerr County delegate that her daughter was having trouble getting college scholarships.

A Texas Republican wanting a hand-out?
Surely not!
Whatever happened to 'self reliance' and 'deliver the mail, defend the borders, and stay out of the way' ?

This is the thing that really pisses me off about torys in oz, they talk talk talk about cutting government spending, but when they're in power, it's one huge pork-barrel festival.
Our recently deposed tory governent had an election-year tradition of announcing some new middle-class welfare program, often worth thousands per family, and paid without any assessment of the recipients income.

When the new government restricted some of those hand-outs to families earning under $150,000 per year (about 3 times the average full-time salary), you should have heard the howls of protest from the (supposedly) small-government, low-taxing, low-spending conservative politicians and their snout-in-the-trough supporters.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2008 18:01      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Did you get a load of this button?

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/stick-a-pin-in-it.html

Republicans didn't get upset until the story hit the wire, and then they feigned outrage.

And then there was this Texas fundraiser held by the fellow who thinks rape is a joke and wants to hogtie female political opponents.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-mccain15-2008jun15,0,6641119.story

McCain still took the money from the event.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2008 05:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think it's funny as hell that there are Americans who are going to vote for a man on the brink of senility.

Then I remember George W Bush.

Twice.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2008 09:52      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Texas GOP platform does from the article to be quite a disgrace. That said, I wonder how partisan the reporter is, and what the context is for the snippets of quotes they sowed together.

The pin is of bad taste. That said, I don't think the booth ran all it's buttons through the GOP to get stampes of approval. I'm guessing it was more like:

"Hey can set up a booth and sell buttons supporting the GOP. Here's my rental fee."
"Sure."

And re: the fundraiser... Do you think Obama returned the donations from his pastor of ten years who is clearly racist and thinks that "God [should] damn America"? What about donations from Louis Fericon?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture