homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Important Issue: Net Neutrality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Important Issue: Net Neutrality
Tiroth
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 16:19      Profile for Tiroth   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who don't know, Athene is a blogger in his Ipower that is currently speaking out against internet provider companies who are against net neutrality. He recently found contacts that are higher ups in some of those companies that told him about a plan that they have, which will practically destroy the internet. The whole story is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2XPiqhN_Ns
he has some other Ipower videos that explain more about this issue.

"Note: Don't be afraid of the links with sex in their name, that is how he marks another series of his videos. In those he he speaks about the game World of Warcraft. Those aren't important."

--------------------
Life is neither a good nor an evil; it is simply the place where good and evil exist.

-Seneca

Posts: 35 | From: Death Valley | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2008 21:54      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I don't want to imagine about that plans. I has found this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBrbNybU6XU too.
Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 04:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________Tiroth There never has been Net Neutrality. Depending on where one lives, and how many ISP's compete for your service. If you have a phone line that could be surpassed, by two tin cans and kite string. Best download speed here is 4Kb. So don't cry about ISP throttling, I don't want to hear it. Choices here, Satelite, Local WiFiMax from M33access, their rates are higher than the dish types, A.T.T. and Alltell are putting up more EVDO Towers and 3G but they throttle throughput. My always wanting the latest Linux distro to try would be hitting their limits and service would be shut down till the end of the month.

Just for drill click on fifteen freshest posts, takes me a minute to see them, bet you get them faster.

Don't even mention that big wet dream Broadband over power lines, BPL with the part fifteen rules. Any farmer using his CB, or one of the local Hams myself included would shut down the system, from RF overload. Yes I chose to live out in the Boonies, the peace and quiet are almost deafening. yesterday the Mrs and myself watched a Whitetailed Deer nurse her fawn, so set in your basement and cry about net neutrality, we're heading out the door to walk to the headwaters of the Rifle river.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 07:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
_____________________Tiroth There never has been Net Neutrality. Depending on where one lives, and how many ISP's compete for your service. If you have a phone line that could be surpassed, by two tin cans and kite string. Best download speed here is 4Kb. So don't cry about ISP throttling, I don't want to hear it. Choices here, Satelite, Local WiFiMax from M33access, their rates are higher than the dish types, A.T.T. and Alltell are putting up more EVDO Towers and 3G but they throttle throughput. My always wanting the latest Linux distro to try would be hitting their limits and service would be shut down till the end of the month.

Just for drill click on fifteen freshest posts, takes me a minute to see them, bet you get them faster.

Don't even mention that big wet dream Broadband over power lines, BPL with the part fifteen rules. Any farmer using his CB, or one of the local Hams myself included would shut down the system, from RF overload. Yes I chose to live out in the Boonies, the peace and quiet are almost deafening. yesterday the Mrs and myself watched a Whitetailed Deer nurse her fawn, so set in your basement and cry about net neutrality, we're heading out the door to walk to the headwaters of the Rifle river.

This has absolutely nothing to do with net neutrality.

Net neutrality would allow ISPs and companies to change the priority of various sites on the Internet based on how much money providers pay for their content to be delivered to you faster.

The fact that you get slow internet in boonyville, USA has nothing to do with it.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 07:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you have a phone line that could be surpassed, by two tin cans and kite string. Best download speed here is 4Kb.

Is there real internet connection within line-of-sight of MoManVille?

If not, how many 15km line-of-sight hops would it take?

A man with your legendary radio skills should be able to cobble together a wireless network in his sleep.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 08:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ The Famous Druid There in lies the rub, I am at the high point of the county. But well outside the 15click distance to the good towers, (cheap, not pure unobtainium) I can detect the signals with my gear but not enough signal to lock on.

Until Seven months ago the best bet was from the South, Now there is a tower to the NW and one to the NE I am thirty clicks to either one. The one to the South is twenty five clicks. I have spoken to both vendors, personally. "Get ten or more people in your area and we will see."

______________________ drunkennewfiemidget There are two edges to that sword, lets say that a Mom & Pop ISP springs up with good speed near here but they can not afford to pay for the big pipe needed to get the fast content then again people that are out of the major areas are left out again. So net neutrality is still a pipe dream, speed is going to be doled out to the big money. The net is not liberal,

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 09:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Until Seven months ago the best bet was from the South, Now there is a tower to the NW and one to the NE I am thirty clicks to either one. The one to the South is twenty five clicks.

So find a farmer 12km to the South, buy him a few beers, and put a remote relay on his barn roof.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2008 13:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ The Famous Druid __ Actually there is a possibility that the local Cable Comp. Mom & Pop may be talked into this.

http://www.openhsmm.org/openhsmm-ap.html

There is also the problem that WiFi dies at rivers and the tree lines along rivers, and we have rivers on the North, West, and South. I chose this site because of the Radio location, then it became apparent that an ISP would be the next one. That cable guy is to the West maybe I can get him to let us put in the WiFi modem at a cable end near here, and this side of the river, he does not seem to be receptive to the plight of us past his wires.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture