homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » The Sad Truth in America (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Sad Truth in America
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 18:42      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
May 27, 2008, 09:02
I downloaded the trustee's report on the investigaton of ____ financial's BK ... in the table of contents alone the words reckless, improper, implosion, lax accounting, and recovery of employee bonuses come up.

May 27, 2008, 09:53
Isn't that always the trouble? Good old greed? Manipulators cashing in, puppets paying the note. And no matter the number of laws passed, there will always be someone to find a new scheme, or a loophole in the law.

This is EXACTLY why the financial institutions are the #1 suspects.

Enron never produced any energy -- it got between the producers of energy and the consumers of energy, and with "creative" trading and accounting:
quote:
On December 15, 2000, ... California was paying wholesale prices of over $1400 per megawatt, compared to $45 per megawatt average one year earlier.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2008 19:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<laughing-till-my-toenails-invent-double-quantum-bookkeeping - and-launch-a-hostile-takeover-of-exxon-corp-in-the-seventeenth-century>

ASM, where's your sense of gratitude?

The bankers and stockbrokers saved your ass during the Punic Wars.

When Caligula and his army of orcs had Los Angeles surrounded, it was Alan Greenspan and his Cost Accountant Special Forces who sailed up the Nile to Denver, then rode their giraffes across the Himalayas to break the siege.

Without them, you'd all be speaking Welsh now.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 04:52      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha! [Big Grin] Best one yet! [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 05:57      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Mo: I think that your retirement age is the primary factor in determining your 401K investments. If you’re young, you probably should still be mostly vested in stocks because as the stocks go down, you can buy more (and they’ll grow in the long term). If you’re older, you should be taking fewer risks.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 07:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ooby Since Feb of 2004, I have been drawing a pension, so I have not been making contributions to my 401K. I am glad that you think I am young I still try to act as a teenager, however on some occasions I regret for days some of that foolishment.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 08:46      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like a tough time to be tapping the 401K. Good luck.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2008 13:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Because it is a self directed I am avoiding with draws but I did do a transfer of funds from stocks to Gov. bonds, at least it is not losing like it was. Twenty per cent went away before I thought to check so I am a bit shaken, but it will come back I just hope before I kick off.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2008 07:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
<laughing-till-my-toenails-invent-double-quantum-bookkeeping - and-launch-a-hostile-takeover-of-exxon-corp-in-the-seventeenth-century>

ASM, where's your sense of gratitude?

The bankers and stockbrokers saved your ass during the Punic Wars.

When Caligula and his army of orcs had Los Angeles surrounded, it was Alan Greenspan and his Cost Accountant Special Forces who sailed up the Nile to Denver, then rode their giraffes across the Himalayas to break the siege.

Without them, you'd all be speaking Welsh now.

I love you.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2008 08:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I love you.

You promised that weekend in Pouch Cove would be our little secret.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture