homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Absolutely horrific week with the parenting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Absolutely horrific week with the parenting
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 28, 2008 17:33      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if y'all have seen these two stories. I'm not even really sure what to say.

First, there's the guy in Austria who locked up his daughter for 24 years and apparently fathered 7 children with her.

Austrian Story

Then, there's the the Wisconsin parents who let their 11 year old daughter die from diabetes because they thought all they needed was a little prayer.

Wisconsin Parents

Um, yeah.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2008 17:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That Austrian story sounds like a real-life version of "Flowers in the Attic." It's unconscionable that the "father"'s maximum sentence is 15 years when he stole at least 24 years of his daughter's life.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2008 18:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The father in Austria is 73 years old. In fifteen years, he'll be 88. My guess? He'll died in prison, like the dog he is.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2008 23:40      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
Then, there's the the Wisconsin parents who let their 11 year old daughter die from diabetes because they thought all they needed was a little prayer.

Wisconsin Parents

Um, yeah.

I hadn't heard about the Austrian one. The Wisconsin ones I heard about a while back. I'm glad the siblings are no longer with the parents; I couldn't believe that initially they let them keep the other kids, saying that there were no signs of abuse.

quote:
The girl has three siblings, ranging in age from 13 to 16, the police chief said.

"They are still in the home," he said. "There is no reason to remove them. There is no abuse or signs of abuse that we can see."

Apparently a corpse isn't sufficient evidence.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2008 23:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
The father in Austria is 73 years old. In fifteen years, he'll be 88. My guess? He'll died in prison, like the dog he is.

With any luck, the judge will go easy on him, and sentence him to 15 years 'home detention' in that cozy little guest-room in the basement.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 02:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Wow. That Austrian story sounds like a real-life version of "Flowers in the Attic." It's unconscionable that the "father"'s maximum sentence is 15 years when he stole at least 24 years of his daughter's life.

This austrian story reminded me of Natashe Kampunsch (also an austrain who was kidnapped and lived in some guys basement for 8 years). though they say the daughter in the latest story is severly disturbed and Miss kampunsch doesn't seem that disturbed (in her interviews, who knows in real life). She's getting her own talk show this spring I hear.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 06:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

The first comparison that came to my mind was with David Lynch's "Blue Velvet", only it is of course so much worse. But it has the same small town background, with gardens planted with flowers in neat regimented rows, and respectable neighbours who are politely indifferent to one another. However I do so hope that they do not make a film of this, as the facts are just so much more horrifying than any fiction.

This has been the lead story on the news here for the last day or so, and there is a lot about it on the BBC site, including this radio interview with the chief investigating officer, which is all the more horrifying for being so factual and understated.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 10:34      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The first comparison that came to my mind was with David Lynch's "Blue Velvet"
Never saw the movie. There's a book called The Collector by John Knowles, though. The story is very similar to the Natasha Kampunsch events and this latest one. The book itself is freaky, but to have real life events so similar makes not only these real events extra creepy, but certainly adds a supercreepy aura to the book.

On the bright side, while the woman held captive in the book dies, in real life these two made it out alive. How well they'll be is anyone's guess, though.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 17:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Wrong Just Wrong. Not that the news is wrong but the story is just so revolting, I really try to not judge people but this male pup in the litter even grosses me out. Sick, Sick, Sick.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2008 19:11      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a mother, this truly makes me sick to my stomach. Where do these people think of stuff like this? I just really can't say anything else. [Mad]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 05:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

With any luck, the judge will go easy on him, and sentence him to 15 years 'home detention' in that cozy little guest-room in the basement.
Nah, wussy laws in today's society prevent it.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 05:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Nah, wussy laws in today's society prevent it.
I heard the guy met Saddam and bin Laden...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 07:20      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
quote:
The first comparison that came to my mind was with David Lynch's "Blue Velvet"
Never saw the movie. There's a book called The Collector by John Knowles, though.
John Fowles actually. Not his best book, but a great read nonetheless. The contrasting voices of the two protagonists is handled brilliantly.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2008 07:57      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
John Fowles actually.
Doh. And the book is sitting on a shelf less than 10 feet away. That's what I get for not double checking.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2008 13:09      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they thought God was testing their faith by making their daughter sick. The sad thing is that they'll probably think God has judged them unworthy or something because the daughter died, which means they'll keep at it... except moreso. They really shouldn't be able to keep the rights to the other children, because sooner or later, this is going to repeat itself.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2008 02:23      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
So they thought God was testing their faith by making their daughter sick. The sad thing is that they'll probably think God has judged them unworthy or something because the daughter died, which means they'll keep at it... except moreso. They really shouldn't be able to keep the rights to the other children, because sooner or later, this is going to repeat itself.

The thing that really gets me is that apparently they didn't belong to a sect that doesn't believe in medical intervention, period. They were just too self-righteous and goddamn stupid to take the kid to a doctor and see if maybe it wasn't the devil spiritually attacking the kid.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture