homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » How biased are you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How biased are you?
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2008 21:23      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhetorical question, but worth a little introspection, I think.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/opinion/17kristof.html?em&ex=1208664000&en=e32ecfdd590865aa&ei=5087%0A#

The opinion piece runs through a number of the ways biases affect people. Not only do people tend to interpret the information received based on their biases, but they also tend to filter out information that disagrees with what they want to believe.

In my experience, the ones who say they don't have any biases are just the ones unable to recognize them.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 19, 2008 00:07      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How biased am I?

Sounds like something only a republican would say.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2008 02:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Sxeptomaniac Bias, WOW A: Gender. B: Faith. C: Race. D: Education level. E: Mode of attire. and of course F: Wealth. People by and large tend to want to see themselves as better than some one else. Of these what one is the worst?

I would like to believe that I am above all of these petty judgments, but I know I fail. I used to believe that education level should remove bias but have found that it does not.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2008 04:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, interesting.

The death penalty example: Give the researchers a PhD in The Bleeding Obvious.

If you're vengeful, unsympathetic type who thinks the real problem is that we're not killing nearly enough criminals, then it's fairly natural that you'd view the anti death penalty study as "profoundly flawed".

Those of a more forgiving, sympathetic bent might view criminals as "misunderstood victims of circumstance", who can be put back on the right track with a bit of counseling and a nice hot cup of tea. They'd have a fairly negative view of the pro death penalty study.

Basically, all they've discovered here is "The kind of argument I find convincing depends on the kind of person I am" - no surprises there.

The football example: This is more of a worry.

The people in that study were actively filtering out some bits of information, and amplifying others, based purely on tribal loyalty.
This is the effect scumbag politicians rely upon, it lets them betray all of the principles they claim to stand for, year after year after year, because they know that the party faithful will filter out or disbelieve the bad stuff, remember any good stuff as being much much better, and line up to vote for the same party again next time.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2008 06:19      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very biased against politicians.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted May 08, 2008 10:20      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew I wasn't going to like this thread...

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 18:39      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only one real Bias.

Joan Bias.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2008 23:34      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
There's only one real Bias.

Joan Bias.

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture